Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been watching eBay lately trying to get a bead on the value of Series 2 spiders. I know there is a limit to what you can gleen from eBay and things are rarely what they seem but I've been perplexed by two cars in particular. They seem quite similar in that both are beautiful cars that look in excellent shape. Both are '74's. This first one has been relisted:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1974-Alfa-Romeo-Veloce-Spider-convertible-2000_W0QQitemZ130084506528QQihZ003QQcategoryZ84154QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

He started $8000 and this time around started $7450. In both cases there have been zero bids.

But recently this one showed up:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Alfa-Romeo-Spider-series-II-blue-plate-CA-car-COLLECTOR_W0QQitemZ230098612946QQihZ013QQcategoryZ84154QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

In two days it has had 36 bids and is already up to $7200 (reserve not met).

The contrast is dramatic to say the least. As we all know, bringing a spider up to the level of these cars (correctly) is likley going to be a lot more than $8k so I think the price is not out of line. I would take either if I had the money (and three other spiders which is why I don't have the money...).

Anyway, just curious what others think.

- Rich D.
'69 Spider
'71 Spider
'76 Spider
--- All in pieces

·
Registered
492 Posts
Ebay

I know nothing about these two cars, the sellers or the bidders, but IN GENERAL fake bidding and bidders on ebay is extremely common. There is really nothing to prevent a dishonest seller from having his friends, or even himself if he has been able to create multiple accounts, from bidding on an auction. Sometimes you an get a sense of this by looking at what a bidder has bid on before, but that is a very inexact method. I personally would be very wary of an ebay auction on something this expensive and unique in any event, especially from an unknown seller. I am sure there are very many happy ebayers, both buyers and sellers, and I myeslf have bought a number of smaller items on ebay with success. But I would not use it to try to see what things are worth. Just my opinion!

·
Registered
386 Posts
The differece is where the bidding started. Car #1 started at $7450. No bids. Car #2 started at $500. 36 bids. Now at $7200 and should go higher. Both sellers have set reserves that haven't been met yet so neither seller is going to get hurt. Sellers who trust the economic forces of the market seem to do much better with high ticket items on flea bay.

Drew

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Has a lot to do with location, too. California has the nice convertible top weather, 30 million people and 60 million cars.

Personally- I'd sell my car on flea bay than here...mainly because most people on this board already have their Alfa, and if someone sells a car on this board it gets nit-picked to death by people who don't really come to the board to buy. Flea bay has folks looking all the time for things to buy, they don't spend most of their time picking on someone's item.

If someone really wants to sell their Alfa for a reasonable price- I'll take mine to my brother-in-law in Southern Calfornia and advertise in the local papers before flea bay or this here BB.

Just my opinion and everyone has their own...

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have sold quite a few high end (Jags, MB, BMW) cars on eBay over the years. I am proud to say that every person that bought a car from me was more than satisfied with their purchase. That said, I could never imagine buying a car on eBay - I just don't know how you can have confidence in a car that you've never seen from a person you've never met. I mean, I know I'm honest but how would anybody else? Especially when you are looking at $30k to $60k (although they were getting wholesale pricing so I guess that's pretty good motivation).

So after all these years I have recently bought two spiders online. One on Craigslist and one on eBay. The Craigslist car turned out to be a dog because I had unrealistically high expectations. (Isn't it amazing how good a bad car can look with a digital camera!). The eBay car I have yet to retreive but I bought it as a parts car and if it is anything more than that I'll be ahead of the game. In either case I'm looking at relatively small $$ so I can accept the risk. But spending big bucks site unsceen is beyond me. I'll go bungie jumping first (and that will never happen).

I have no comment on the validity of the eBay bids on the aforementioned cars. As far as the board is concerned, how could not expect your car to picked over? Its like showing your dog at Westminster or playing the Apollo.

- Rich D.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts