Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have read every thread concerning sprark plugs. My engine is 1600cc.
Am i buying the NGK BP7ES or the B7ES??
I know that the BP7ES has the extended tip, so my question is that would it be appropriate for the 1600cc engine or would the tip can endanger hurting the pistons somehow?

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
That's the valve hitting the plug, which can happen.

The question was would it hit a piston :)

Indexing will cure/prevent the valve to plug issue.

I've been on ES and other brand extended tips for several years now and haven't had one get whacked by a valve yet, even with 11mm cams. (but I index as a regular habit)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yesterday I checked the sparkplugs my car had on. They were the BP6ES. Maybe a bit too hot as a sparkplug? In any case, I already purchased the BP7ES. So I am only changing the heat in here...no difference in the extended tip. :)

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
I use the BP6ES in all my cars below with no problems. I think the 7 is too hot for extended driving. Also, I doubt the valve of a 1600 will get anywhere near the plug tip. Although as Tifosi says, it never hurts to index them.

·
Premium Member
14,682 Posts
7 is colder than 6, not hotter.
Ed Prytherch

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
"do you have oversized valves? high lift cams?"
yes and yes.
but as that is a common thing to do on a 4 cyl Alfa you never know what one has.
if you did not do it the PO might have etc. but it came to a shock to me when that happened. and it could have dammaged/jammed the valve. and that would be game over.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts