Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentleman. A newbie here and I need your help. As some may remember, I pulled the radiator to have it repaired. While I was in there, I noticed the the a/c compressor had no belt and the wire to the mag clutch had been cut. Couldn’t figure out why. Noticed that the compressor pulley almost rubs on the sway bar below. While I was in there, I also noticed caked oil all over the front of the engine so I replaced the crank seal. I could just barely get the crank pulley off and back on the crank because the engine sits so close to the sway
bar. Is it normal to sit this low? I have also noticed that some one has installed fender spacers to lower the oil pan guard in order to allow clearance to the pan.

is it normal for the engine to sit so low that the crank pulley and a/c clutch almost touch the sway bar? I’ve read several posts about sagging motor mounts and that one of the telltale signs is the fan blade touching the radiator shroud. Mine are not touching but both the fan and shroud look relatively new. The drivers side motor mount rubber looks shiny and new but has a scaly appearance. I can‘t see the passenger side. If the po changed the drivers side mount but not the passenger side because it’s so difficult the change, would this cant the engine over such that the a/c clutch and belt would ride on the sway bar?

Do I need to change both motor mounts to correct this? If so, whose are the recommended mounts to use?

Respectfully,
Mike Sulley

·
Registered
7,833 Posts
that the pulley almost touches the sway bar is a sure sign the mount(s) are bad. Ok, one has been replaced (the easy one) probably because the fan exploded when it hit the shroud!)
The oil pan as seen from the front of the car should be level, too.

Pulley on my S4 was almost scraping the sway bar; after new mounts there was enough space to easily get my fingers between them.

Very likely your transmission mount is shot too, I'd check that.
Should be no need for spacers for the pan gaurd

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Spiderseries4 for the benefit of your experience. I have received the motor and transmission mounts and will begin replacing by following the post “ Replacement for Dummies”. Thanks to all who contributed to that thread.
Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts