Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
here are some pics from the restoring of my 70 gtj to a sweet gta stradale replica. unfortunatelly the love did not spend very long...:(

this was my gtj before the restoring:cool:

only a few things had to be done :rolleyes:

so i decided to do a new paintjob etc. etc. etc...:D

ready from the paintjob:)

some old and new parts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
part 2

some laminated carbon :D

handmade fueltank:cool:

some new brakes...

front suspension:p

rear suspension with watt-link

a few weeks later:)

finished!!!!!!!

so and now the bad end of the story!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

only one day after finishing the car and the first dynorun i had an oltimerrace at salzburgring, austria. i knew that it was a risk to have its first ride on a racetrack without testing before but no risk no fun i thought. at lap 4 by about 215 km/h i had to recognize that my car was going to turn around suddenly. unfortunately i crasched into the barriers but luckily not so hard. after my first shock i saw what the problem was. a very big oil-leak on the track. my oilfilter was not fixed strong enough so that i lost all my oil, which sprayed on my rearwheels, and i couldn`t do anything.:eek:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
part 3 the end!!

so this is what happened:mad:

i tried after organizing a new oilfilter and about 6l oil to go for the 2. qualifying, but after only a half lap i knew that my motor was broken. there was no real power anymore!!

at home i opened the motor and saw one piston and one rod was broken and the crankshaft was also damaged a little because of the missing oil :mad:

here is the lap after my little crasch in the first qualify. it´s the outlap to the 2nd qualify, but the motorpower was really worse and the engine then broke completely in the 2nd lap :(
at the first qualifying i was so in hectic to get my car ready because of ignition problems, that i unfortunately forgot to switch on my camera, so that i don´t have a video of a faster lap and my crash:(

this slow outlap would be about 1:55 - 2:00 mins if it would be a whole lap, normally me and my car can do a 1:40 - 1:41min at this track

greetings from munic, germany

wolfgang

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Wolfgang,

Sorry to see what happened on your car's "maiden voyage". I have to say however, you were doing some very fine driving, passing everyone on the track! You still have a wonderful GTA replica! I hope you will have her back on the track very soon.

Best regards,

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@enrice and mike

thank you guys, but this was a very, very slow lap with a motor, which didn´t work as he could do in the past. my fastest lap was about 19 secs!! quicker. sorry that i have no video of a fast lap, i´m sure you would enjoy it:D

wolfgang

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
that's not that bad, but it still sucks that it happened. where did you get the gta jr stripe kit? i want to buy one for my race car.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The damage to the body doesn't look too bad and thankfully you are not hurt. That's more important. Now, it's time to get that car singing again. It sure did sound good in that video! Thank you for sharing.

What went wrong? Too much throttle mid-turn?

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Wolfgang that must be a blast to drive...especially all out on such a track! Can you give us some info on your engine?....ever had it dyno tested? What about the transmission and differential?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@italcarguy

i bought this stripe-kit from a dealer here in germany. but he told me it was his last one:(

but i don´t worry about it, because i will let it reproduce several times from a company here in munic. it won´t be expensive and the quality will be fine

@1750gt

it´s a 75twinspark, which peter praller, a friend of me ( formula GT - Sportwagenservice München ) built for me in 2001. i only renewed the pistons and the cylinders. on the dynorun one day before salzburgring it produced 182 hp and about 230nm torque at low u/mins on its AP-Racing clutch and 167hp on the wheels. we only did one dynorun because the pistons and liners were brand new with 0 kilometers on it and the overhault engine stood about 4 years in my garage.
but this is past.
now i´m going to build up the motor with 2 new pistons and liners and one new rod and perhaps a new crankshaft or i let repair the old one. then again a smooth dynorun and i will sell the engine. i will also sell the standard but overhault gearbox and the 10/43 differential with 40% lock up.

after that i will spend my time and the rest of my money in building up a brand new engine. i don´t want to tell too much details yet, but i think about 225-235hp will be realistic without any kind of charging but no carburators only race injection. and to the gearbox i only want to say is, that it will have more than 5 gears!! :D. so i will need a 10/41 differential, but this should not be a big problem.

:D:D:D

·
Registered
180 Posts
That looks terrific. I hope the rebuild doesn't take too long. Is it just me but about half the pics won't load up?

·
Registered
69 Posts
That looks terrific. I hope the rebuild doesn't take too long. Is it just me but about half the pics won't load up?
its not just you. I cant load all of them either and its driving me crazy:mad

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Very well done! Did you fab the watts link or use a kit? I've not seen many that keep the hand brake set up!

Also, could you tell us about the front brakes? Vented rotors are uncommon here.

Robert

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hello robert,

the frontbraking system is a complete kit, which alfaholics in uk sells, it´s very nice fabricated, very light and works perfect at a 180hp+ gtj.

alfaholics also sells a watt link, but i decided to build one on my own, because this was much, much cheaper :D and the handbrake also works:)

wolfgang

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
wolfgang,

fantastic looking rebuild, sorry to hear about the accident on its first outting.

I was also thinking about fabricating a watts link rear end but instead of race type uniball rod ends, i wanted to use some with rubber bushing for a little more road compliance. any tips on how you fabricated the pivoting bolt to the diff oil filler hole?

the front suspension looks similar to the alfaholics kit or is that one of your designs also?

thanks for posting and looking forward for some future video footage.

happy holidays

davbert

1 - 20 of 37 Posts