Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Early next year my friend Sheldon and I are going to participate in the ‘Sh*tbox Rally’, a charity car bash from Melbourne to Cairns through outback Australia. We’re allowed to spend AU$1000 to prepare a car to make the seven-day 4000km journey including some seriously rugged terrain, sand dunes, long days of rough dirt tracks, and four states of this big empty country. Why? Well partly because we’re friends, car nuts, and because it’s for a bloody good cause. When I was seventeen my father died of lung cancer. Sheldon’s older brother also succumbed to cancer. We’re both very eager to see some money go towards cancer research, so here’s a way we can get involved and have some great experiences along the way.

So what kind of car would you pick for this journey? A big Australian sedan made for long distance driving? Err no. We wouldn't dream of doing it in anything but an Alfa. We’ve picked up our mighty steed – a 1983 Alfetta sedan. It only has a little bit of rust, and a good strong engine – just the thing for the outback right? We’ll need a bit of luck and ingenuity to get through this intact.

So – please visit our fundraising page, and if you can spare a few dollars then please do. The website linked below takes all forms of payments – large or small.

We'll post back here as we prepare the car and get on our way.

wish us luck!

Attachments

·
Banned
764 Posts
Hey,

Did you guys take a foto of the interior in a mirror? The steering wheel's on the wrong side..

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you guys take a foto of the interior in a mirror? The steering wheel's on the wrong side..
Haha fantastic! Thanks very much for the donation, all the way from Floureyeduuuuh USA. Your dollar's not worth what it used to be, but still a very welcome contribution.

cheers, Evan.

·
Banned
764 Posts
Hey Evan,

I'm just trying to give what support I can these daze and Yup, USD's not worth the same as it did. I really wish I was among you guys for this one. Great choice on car for the slouchbak! No advice here as you guys already know what you need.

I may be headed to Kiwi Kountry in the near future for good so maybe?......

Seriously, Good Luck!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well tomorrow we're off on the sh*tbox rally - 4000km in seven days across Australia. We've raised just over $7000 for cancer research, and donations are still coming in.

You can check out the background and media coverage of the rally here:
http://tinyurl.com/2f6x8qt

And if you would like to donate - click here:
http://tinyurl.com/3ruxkpq

The Alfetta is fairly well sorted, but it's limited by our budget of $1000 so it's a bit touch and go. He blows a fair bit of smoke and tends to foul plugs, but we think he'll go okay. It's the four days of corrugated dirt roads that might cause us some problems!

Wish us luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Break a leg....and, unlike your last photo, Keep the shiny side up!!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We completed the rally last month - and raised over $7300 for cancer research. The rally overall raised over $900,000. There were a couple of donations from AlfaBB members, so thank you!

Five Alfas participated in the rally, and none of them had major issues in the 4000km through the outback. We bashed out some fuel line on rocks, and dented our (4mm) sump guard pretty badly, but otherwise had no major troubles in the Alfetta.

A fantastic experience, and brilliant to do in an Alfa. At the end of the rally there was a charity auction - our car was bought by some boys in Cairns who wanted to use it for gymkhana!

I've posted lots of photos of the rally at my blog here: Category Archives: Sh*tbox Rally

And there's a bit of video here:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Well done guys, very envious, looked like a great adventure and for a very good cause.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts