Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
141 - 160 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
...Fortunately, the sidewalk has a rounded curb so drove along as slow as I could in fourth. Lois was worried about "road rage", I was concerned about "sidewalk rage...
So Bob, the saying is accurate - "If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk" ???

Sorry to hear of the trouble, but glad you (almost) made it home.

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
Pasted below is an exchange that appeared in the recent “Tipo 256” thread. I feel it is appropriate to this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dretceterini View Post
I do not have a medical degree, but I do have THREE PhDs...Economics from London School in England, Mechanical Engineering from Cambridge in England, and Theoretical Physics from Cambridge in England. I then taught at Cambridge at the post-graduate level for over 20 years, and retired in 1997. Hawking was my boss for over 20 years!

Dott.Ing.Stuart Schaller
Portland, Oregon

Mr. Schaller:

I have a good friend who is a long-time member of the Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics at the University of Cambridge, the department in which Stephen Hawking is also a faculty member. My friend has no recollection of you ever having been associated with that department, nor can he find, in the Cambridge Record, information that you have ever been associated with the University of Cambridge in any capacity. To resolve this mystery, perhaps you could scan and post your University of Cambridge diplomas.
Dear Sir:

A number of people on the Ferrari chat have accused me of trying to present myself as something other than what I am, but when I gave them the telephone number to the administrator's office of the Department of Applied Mathematics to call (the administrator is only there 3 days a week!, and there is only 1 administrative person in that department)...not one proved that they actually called. I left the UK in a great hurry in 1997, as my mother had a stoke and developed senile dementia, and lingered on until 1999 with nothing more than a feeding tube in her stomach. My initial intention was to return, but eventually I had a friend sell my home in St.Albans and never returned. All the "physical" records I had were they, and simply got thrown away. Because there is only 1 administrator in the Applied Mathematics department, not only has it been virtually impossible to get copies of my records, but to prove I am entitled to a pension when I hit 65, in about 3.5 more years. I will probably have to go to Cambridge and get what I need, and all of this happened about 12 years ago; so I don't have any idea what they have on file!

·
Registered
8,763 Posts
As a first time convention attendee, and at the same time renewing my membership after several years, it is most disconcerting during a period of declining club membership to see all this bickering going on.
We registered late at Portland on Fri morning, so weren't able to take in very much, as most things were fully booked. We loved what we saw. Great Tech sessions, great concourse. We love Alfas and have 3, nothing else, only Alfas. Surely we've got to focus on what's important...to share knowledge to keep the excitement alive for these great cars and to promote them.

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
I was going to stay out of this, but I won’t tolerate flat out lies…

There isn’t anything confusing about what the charges are at a convention and this one was no different. The problem for this liar is that he simply wants to participate in activities without paying, and just too stupid to realize that he is not fooling anyone. I was at the convention, for the entire duration, and I observed his behavior first hand.

On Thursday, he got on the Ron Tonkin Tour bus, even though he had not registered for the event… I won’t go into his shenanigans related to the tour (and the other activities), but I will say that the registration desk was notified, and after the tour Tami did ask him to pay (like everyone else had). Of course, he played dumb and pretended not to know what she was referring to, until she got upset and got him to pay.

As the convention progressed, this liar decided that he was going to be a vendor, but was not obligated to register as a vendor and could simply sell his products, which he did. Well, once again Tami chased him for the money…

On Saturday afternoon, when the vendors closed their stations and covered their products with sheets (as they were going to the evening banquet), this liar went into the vendor room, pulled the sheets off, and started helping himself to a thorough inspection of their products. Thank goodness he was caught in the act by the convention chairman, who kicked him out… (Getting kicked out also ended his attempts to get into the Banquet – another event which he claimed he has no interest in…)

Of course, he came back the following day, on Sunday, to the Awards Brunch. The ballroom doors were open, as they are many times at a convention, and this liar went into the room and decided that he was, again, going to participate without paying. He came over to the table that I was sitting at, and asked my wife to move over so he could “squeeze in”. My wife was sitting to my left, and Cheryl Braden was sitting to her left, at a round table, which was full. Well, they both looked at me and of course I realized what was going on and told him to get lost.

Sorry, my fellow BBers, for this post, but I think it’s best to know the type of sleazy liar that is posting falsehoods...

Best regards,
Excuse me! EVERYONE knew my intention to be a vendor at the race track and at the concours at least 3 weeks BEFORE the convention, and I was told those two events wold be free.

As to the awards banquet, I simply walked in to get an award for participation in the model car contest....NOT to get "free food". I had paid $20 to enter the contest, and there was supposed to be a SEPERATE award for just the models, and the art awards were NOT supposed to be combined from the model awards...hence the fact I either want my $20 back or an award.

As you stated, I DID pay Tami the $200 for the vendor booth at the concours, and DID pay the $20 for the Tonkin Tour. I feel tyhat because I was NOT notified that a vendor booth at the concours would have any cost, I feel that splitting the $200 and me paing $100 would have been a lot more fair.

I did not "weasel my way in" to the Tonkin Tour, did NOT argue with Tami about paying the $20 and whnt to the ATM and handed her the $20. I simply forgot I did not pay, and had no problem apying for that IMMEDIATELY when asked by Tami to do so.

At this point what I think would be fair is:

1) to either get my $20 back for the model contest entry, or get some kind of award.

2) to get $100 of the $200 I paid for the vendor booth at the concours back, as I was NOT notified there would be a fee for that in front; I was notified by Tami walking up to me, demanding $200, and implying that my models would be held hostage until I paid the $200. I PAID IT!

If you now want a battle, I am fully prepared to make this a legal one!

I even had a discussion with a couple on 2010 BOD members about forgetting the past, rejoining the AROC after a 25 year absence (I first joined in 1958!) and doing article for the owner, IF I got paid for the, as Pat Braden (and others) did. They were supposed to get back to me after discussing the matter between all the members of the 2010 board, but have not done so as yet.

Obviously my view of things is substantially differnet than yours.

I am willing to end this conflict once and for all; but before I am willing to do so, I want the "problems" over the convention resolved.

Thank You,
Stuart Schaller

PS: Cheryl Braden had NO problem with me sitting at "your" table; only YOU did...but rather than argue, I simply sat in the rear of the room, awaiting the awards announcement for the models contest...which never came!!!!

PPS: Perhaps you are not aware that I WAS on the BOD of the So Cal chapter for almost 20 years, INCLUDING the time I lived in Europe, at THEIR request, even though I WAS NOT an AROC member during any part of that time period!!!

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
The Road to Portland

Like Enrique, I have also chosen to remain silent until now on this thread. Some points of clarification since it is my name that is being slung all over this thread:

• No one should be admitted to any event that does not have a ticket or tag that indicated that they paid for the event
  • I was not aware that Stu was attempting to sit at "our" table until Enrique excused himself from our table
  • I was aware that Stu was present because he had come up to the table and tapped me on the shoulder because I was facing the podium for the awards presentation
  • I was not feeling well and asked Arno to present the People's Choice Award for me this year in memory of my late husband so there would not be a repeat of a Detroit incident
  • As I recall there was a separate award presented for the model category, although, it was included within all the art categories
My perception of the convention and how I was treated is substantially different than what has been portrayed on this thread. It is true that initially the path was not smooth due to some communication problems and issues that could have been resolved much sooner and in an easier way, but many individuals of the local Portland Club did their utmost to make sure that I was comfortable and well-cared for especially with the unexpected and uncontrollable circumstances that presented themselves. Without going into the specific details, issues, and persons involved I owe a huge thank you to Enrique and his wife, Karyl, who were instrumental in facilitating and assuring that I was safe and able to attend the convention; and additionally, to Keith Martin for opening the line of communication with Bill Gillham to resolve the previously unattended to issues.

The AROO crew did an excellent job in conducting this years convention. There are always issues and problems with any undertaking of this size; while everyone strives for perfection, this is not a perfect world even though many of us would prefer it. We always strive to obtain as close to perfection as available based on the circumstances.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Oh my....sometimes... ya' just can't please em' all.

Thanks to everyone who worked so hard to make this convention such a great success!

Attachments

·
Registered
868 Posts
Stu, Left you another phone message today

Hi Stu,
Since we are now discussing this in the open forum, I wanted to remind you I have reached out to you twice this week to speak. I called you after I had sent the email stating I was done with this matter, because I would sincerely like this to stop in the open forums.

I called you at home this afternoon at 2:43PM, in the hope I could speak live with you. I again left you a message with my phone number.

Unfortunately I will be going out of town and not available to speak until Monday AM. May we speak Monday then and stop all of the unnecessary posting?

This post is entitled The Road to Portland, and I really like the paintings that Jerry did to build enthusiasm for Veloce nel Verde.

Thanks to all.

·
Premium Member
2,155 Posts
I was going to stay out of this, but I won’t tolerate flat out lies…
Enrique,

Thanks for posting the 'other side' to this story.

Does135,

You're a genius.

Anybody considering lawsuits over a $20 art show trophy,

You might want to have your legal team peruse the Veloce Nel Verde web site. The art show, and the judging, are clearly called out there. I'm not sure who said what to who, but the rules are in writing, so before you invest heavily in trying to recover your $20, you might make sure you have a good, solid, legal case.

I'll bet judges go to law school just to hear cases like this one!

In the fwiw dept, paying for the Ron Tonkin tour after the fact was not an option. Again, for anybody who could read, the large, gaping signup sheet in the hotel lobby, you know, the signup sheet where everybody had to choose one bus or the other, clearly stated that you should NOT sign up if you weren't already registered. So hopping on either bus, and paying *after* the fact, well, that's just kind of rude.

I know I wished I could have gone on that tour..

bs

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
In the fwiw dept, paying for the Ron Tonkin tour after the fact was not an option. Again, for anybody who could read, the large, gaping signup sheet in the hotel lobby, you know, the signup sheet where everybody had to choose one bus or the other, clearly stated that you should NOT sign up if you weren't already registered. So hopping on either bus, and paying *after* the fact, well, that's just kind of rude.

I know I wished I could have gone on that tour..

bs
A couple of the AROO people who bought tickets to the sold out Tonkin tour early were concerned enough about people from out of town not being able to attend that we relenquished our tickets so others could go, and I sure wouldn't have provided my one and only early purchase to Stu, even before all this came to light. That antic, especially by someone local, is way beyond rude!!:(

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
Hi Stu,
Since we are now discussing this in the open forum, I wanted to remind you I have reached out to you twice this week to speak. I called you after I had sent the email stating I was done with this matter, because I would sincerely like this to stop in the open forums.

I called you at home this afternoon at 2:43PM, in the hope I could speak live with you. I again left you a message with my phone number.

Unfortunately I will be going out of town and not available to speak until Monday AM. May we speak Monday then and stop all of the unnecessary posting?

This post is entitled The Road to Portland, and I really like the paintings that Jerry did to build enthusiasm for Veloce nel Verde.

Thanks to all.
Sorry that I did not return your phone message today, but a 2:43 I was on my way to Tigard to pick up my Abarth Ritmo 100S that Mark Scholtze was "holding" for me until the check I gave Val from the Seattle area cleared. It is the white 4 seat convertible with the Martini racing stripes down the side that Mark brought a number of times to the hotel during the convention. (I am very happy with the car, and have found out just 10 were built specifically for Martini Racing by Abarth, and only two survive; this one plus one in Italy...and maybe 3 unrestorable junkers)

In addition, my phone, internet, and TV has recently been switched from Comcast to Qwest. I was supposed to retain my old number, but Qwest screwed up and issued a new one. It will be changed back on the 26th to the number you have; 503-206-5823....or so I was told by Qwest.

At the moment I DO NOT have access to the mailbox for my old phone number, so I had no way of knowing you had called this afternoon.

In the meantime, my home number is 503-774-3968. My cell phone number (which is always on from around 8AM until around 10PM) is 503-724-8079.

I did not get any further e-mails from you after the one that said you were done with the matter.

I will be happy to talk with you and resolve the problems once and for all. I do NOT have your phone number.

Not only would I like to resolve the problems with AROO over convention issues, but I am willing to discuss things with members of the new national board.

As I said in an earlier post, I am now willing to forget about the past and actually write articles for the Owner (as long as I get paid for them, as some people do, and others did, in the past), and write articles for Alfa Bits for free, should the national board go along with my request.

I will NOT, however be willing to join AROC should I get any of the kinds of comments I got from people like Tom Sutter, Phylis Gaylard, and some others in the past.

I even have the old issues of the So.Cal club newsletter where Sutter and other's comments were printed. This has never been a "one-way" street; people have been just as opinionated as I have for the last 30 years!

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
A couple of the AROO people who bought tickets to the sold out Tonkin tour early were concerned enough about people from out of town not being able to attend that we relenquished our tickets so others could go, and I sure wouldn't have provided my one and only early purchase to Stu, even before all this came to light. That antic, especially by someone local, is way beyond rude!!:(
OK, I apologize for my actions. I thought I had told Tammi that I wanted to go on the tour when I registered for the convention and paid the $70 fee at the hotel on Wednesday. I simply screwed up, but DID pay Tammi the $20 fee immediately when she mentioned it after returning to the hotel from the tour. This one WAS my fault, and I apologize for it!!

Now on the other hand, I feel that at the very least I am owed an appology for having to pay $200 to be a vendor at the concours AFTER the fact...and my models being held hostage until I paid...

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
Like Enrique, I have also chosen to remain silent until now on this thread. Some points of clarification since it is my name that is being slung all over this thread:

• No one should be admitted to any event that does not have a ticket or tag that indicated that they paid for the event
  • I was not aware that Stu was attempting to sit at "our" table until Enrique excused himself from our table
  • I was aware that Stu was present because he had come up to the table and tapped me on the shoulder because I was facing the podium for the awards presentation
  • I was not feeling well and asked Arno to present the People's Choice Award for me this year in memory of my late husband so there would not be a repeat of a Detroit incident
  • As I recall there was a separate award presented for the model category, although, it was included within all the art categories
My perception of the convention and how I was treated is substantially different than what has been portrayed on this thread. It is true that initially the path was not smooth due to some communication problems and issues that could have been resolved much sooner and in an easier way, but many individuals of the local Portland Club did their utmost to make sure that I was comfortable and well-cared for especially with the unexpected and uncontrollable circumstances that presented themselves. Without going into the specific details, issues, and persons involved I owe a huge thank you to Enrique and his wife, Karyl, who were instrumental in facilitating and assuring that I was safe and able to attend the convention; and additionally, to Keith Martin for opening the line of communication with Bill Gillham to resolve the previously unattended to issues.

The AROO crew did an excellent job in conducting this years convention. There are always issues and problems with any undertaking of this size; while everyone strives for perfection, this is not a perfect world even though many of us would prefer it. We always strive to obtain as close to perfection as available based on the circumstances.
Cheryl:

I was unaware that you were ill. I was basically told to f-off, and simply moved from the table to the rear of the room. There WAS supposed to be SEPERATE awards for the models; they were NOT supposed to be incorporated into the awards for the art show! See page 12 of the Veloce del Verde program for the convention!

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Dear Sir:

A number of people on the Ferrari chat have accused me of trying to present myself as something other than what I am, but when I gave them the telephone number to the administrator's office of the Department of Applied Mathematics to call (the administrator is only there 3 days a week!, and there is only 1 administrative person in that department)...not one proved that they actually called. I left the UK in a great hurry in 1997, as my mother had a stoke and developed senile dementia, and lingered on until 1999 with nothing more than a feeding tube in her stomach. My initial intention was to return, but eventually I had a friend sell my home in St.Albans and never returned. All the "physical" records I had were they, and simply got thrown away. Because there is only 1 administrator in the Applied Mathematics department, not only has it been virtually impossible to get copies of my records, but to prove I am entitled to a pension when I hit 65, in about 3.5 more years. I will probably have to go to Cambridge and get what I need, and all of this happened about 12 years ago; so I don't have any idea what they have on file!
Mr. Schaller:

I have not contacted the administrator's office of the Department of Applied Mathematics (actually Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics) at Cambridge, but I did contact Professor Hawking's personal assistant. Her reply is pasted below:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is no record of Stuart Schaller at Cambridge University and Prof.
Hawking has never heard of him.

Yours sincerely,

Judith Croasdell

--
Personal Assistant to S.W. Hawking, CH,CBE,FRS
Lucasian Professor of Mathematics
Department of Applied Mathematics
and Theoretical Physics (DAMTP)
University of Cambridge
Centre for Mathematical Sciences
Wilberforce Road
Cambridge, CB3 OWA
England

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
Mr. Schaller:

I have not contacted the administrator's office of the Department of Applied Mathematics (actually Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics) at Cambridge, but I did contact Professor Hawking's personal assistant. Her reply is pasted below:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is no record of Stuart Schaller at Cambridge University and Prof.
Hawking has never heard of him.

Yours sincerely,

Judith Croasdell

--
Personal Assistant to S.W. Hawking, CH,CBE,FRS
Lucasian Professor of Mathematics
Department of Applied Mathematics
and Theoretical Physics (DAMTP)
University of Cambridge
Centre for Mathematical Sciences
Wilberforce Road
Cambridge, CB3 OWA
England
I have no idea why she would say this, but it is simply not true. She was not there when I left in 1997 to come to the US to take care of my mother who wa ill with senile dementia, and I have no idea who she is.

I always had an underlying battle with Hawking himself, as I hated the political part of education, and simply wanted to teach. I wrote as few papers as I could get away with.

Hawking (who, buy the way, is on his death bead after having had ALS for some 30 years) and I never got along that well.

Because he LOVED the "marketing and promotion" part of the job (having appeared on Star Trek a number of times) and I hated it, I refused to do ANY marketing and promotion, this underlying "friction" existed during most of my tenure at Cambridge.

I will probably have some difficulty getting my pension, because no one in administration of the Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics department is still there from when I taught at Cambridge. I plan to go in the near future, to straighten everything out.

Thank You for your concern

Stu Schaller

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
A person I know who is a long-time AROO and NWARC member, has contributed to their charity auctions, and advertises in their newsletters drove 200 miles to go on the Tonkin without knowing it was full. His disappointment of being refused would be magnified manyfold if he heard of the antics of this individual.
It is too bad he had not known of your graciousness, Richard. What a thoughtful act of kindness.

141 - 160 of 173 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.