Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Almost three years ago, I picked up a forlorn but very rust free 1979 Alfetta GT. It was owned by a guy who lived in an apartment--yet had similar automotive tastes as I do and he was running out of parking spots. He had an Audi Allroad, an old Saab 99 and had also just bought a red GTV6. This Alfetta was just attractive to me for some reason and so we came up with what I considered a smoking deal of a price and a picked it up. (He now also has a 89 Milano Verde that I know he picked up cheap off Craigslist...)

When it was for sale, it happened to also get picked up by "Rusty but Trusty".
Proven duo: 1979 Alfa Romeo Sprint Veloce Rusty But Trusty

Once home, assessment of what I bought--
THE GOOD
* Have service records since new. Originally purchased from Grand Prix Motors in Seattle with a delivery date of 1980-12-19. Purchased by Tony (Anthony) Maroussis. (That explains the Greece stickers on the rear!)

* In the service records are emissions records and service records from Grand Prix motors from delivery through about 1987 at 50,182 miles on it, including the funny one from late December 1980 (a few days or weeks after delivery when the car had 620 miles on it) with the customer reported problem of "Engine Won't Run." haha. Factory manual and maintenance booklet included (and the book is stamped through the 50,182 miles service.)

* Nearly rust-free. Shock towers are amazing, scuttle too. Rear spare tire hole has rust...couple other spots of surface which will be repaired.

* Has quite a lot of period modifications including a full set of vintage Cibie H1/H4 European headlights (installed in the early 1980s as the brochure and fitting instructions are with the car), Shankle Sure-Shift (transaxle shifts WONDERFULLY), European manifold, downpipe and ANSA twin-tip exhaust, and a set of Carrello yellow fog lights that I'm now using on my Lancia. Also has a period Momo "Cavallino" steering wheel and factory Ronal A1 15x7 wheels.

* Has some later modifications (I think) in the form of Shankle front suspension (I think) and Bilstein shocks all around.

* Car has no AC or sunroof (although I wish it had a sunroof actually)

THE BAD
* Rumor has it that a former owner's wife or girlfriend got mad and keyed EVERY SINGLE BODY PANEL on the car. I mean, if there is a flat section, then it was keyed. Nose, sides, big X on top, big X on hood...even the back part of the rear hatch was keyed. Amazing. So it needs paint BADLY. If it wasn't for the keying, the paint actually isn't too terrible (other than it being black..haha)

* Front nose band is slightly bent from what looks like a minor parking accident. The grille was cracked and pushed in too, although the front valence is fine. This will need to be replaced. I have a straight spare one.

* While it starts right up, the SPICA pump is completely kaput as the car has NO power. This is after going through a proper set up and tune--and after trying to set the mixture and getting zero results--car runs the same no matter how you turn the mixture, it was determined that the pump is bad. Getting ready to remove it and set off for rebuilding. (I also purchased some Weber carbs and manifold with gas pedal just in case I wanted to go that route)

* The Thermostatic Actuator was completely bad when I got the car--but I had a fully tested and working rebuilt one from one of my Alfetta parts cars that I've now installed--and then went through SPICA setting which is one of the determinations the pump is bad, bad, bad. TA is known good.

* Dash is extremely cracked and is that silly wood version they put in the Sprint Veloces--will be replacing with non-cracked, non-wood version from a 76 car.

* Various parts of the interior need to be re-done as you'd expect.

From the records, I show Tony Maroussis paying registration through November 1989. I believe he still lives in Seattle and is involved in Hellenic cultural societies as I see him listed there in 2004-2005. Looks like he has reviewed some things on Amazon.com as recently as 2011. I tried a couple times to get in touch with him just to say hello, but I have been unsuccessful--but I admit I haven't been trying that hard.

Looks like from the paid registration that expired in November 1989, the next owner was Chris Fazio who must have purchased it from Tony nearly 15 years later. This new registration was paid in November of 2004.

From there, Chris has various service items (including the purchase of Wes Ingram's SPICA book a few weeks after he purchased it! :) ) culminating with a major $4,000 outlay at G2 Motorsports for a "new motor installation" and various things all around the car in September/October 2007 at 57987 miles. I am trying to get in touch with Chris for some additional information here. Why was the motor swapped out? Why did he sell the car? How did he go about buying it from Tony? Why was it not registered for 15 years? Where was it kept? etc...

With this motor change, this must be the source of the different SPICA pump. It is a 255/1 which is a 1974 pump which reportedly has the most aggressive cam profile. I will be having this pump rebuilt.

Looks like Chris Fazio had the car until January 2008 when he sold it to Justin Kwong (the owner from whom I purchased the car). Justin did some work to the car including some fuel tank and fuel pump work around 58-59k miles. And he said that when he got the car it ran great but over time progressively got worse then he stopped driving it.

I purchased it in the spring of 2010 from Justin. I've driven the car maybe 20 miles or so since I got it (including 3 miles today! :) )...it just turned 60,000 miles.

This thread will document its resurrection. :D Also, Chris Fazio if you happen upon the forum, please get in touch with me.

Here are some pics as it sits today and from a couple years ago when it was for sale (haven't changed much at all).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Stefmiester. The 76 deck lid went on my 76 blue Alfetta GT that I had when I bought this one. I have since sold that one. I have a non-rusted (well, as much as possible) rear hatch from a 78-79 car that will be going on this one.

It's actually sporting a GTV6 hatch right now...I'll probably eventually list that one for sale.

I've parted out at least 3-4 Alfetta GTs in the past couple of years, so VintageRob and I have parts coming out of our asses. haha....I have a nice metal grille and perfect front and rear badges that will be going on the car, but thank you very much for the offer.

One thing I am sort of looking for are a set of nice "darth vader" door panels. I have three sets of the rear panels, but not a single one for the doors themselves.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Very nice alfetta Gt Brian; love the Ronal A1s in these cars and the lowered front end gives it a mean look:D

Keep us posted on the mods you do to the car; it´s always interesting to see how others go along with similar cars as mine...

·
Registered
592 Posts
Almost three years ago,

* Dash is extremely cracked and is that silly wood version they put in the Sprint Veloces--will be replacing with non-cracked, non-wood version from a 76 car.

Don't knock the wood - 'tis 70's cool.

Seriously though, looking nice and mean in black.

Can you post a photo from the rear - want to see how that angled to the right exhaust looks.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FANTASTIC!! Great to save another one!

Did someone change out the dash vent controls?
Dash vent controls are just normal non-AC versions....
Thanks everyone on the comments about the color.....but one thing I'll say is that it will not be repainted black.

Never liked the wood in the Alfetta....true 70s cool is the earlier non-wood dash! :).

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Nice Alfetta,
You win the "best wheels"award on both your cars.
Looking forward to following the thread.
I'm trying to stop myself from going to look at another one.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
As far as I know, the non-wood dash was on the 1600 and 1800 models,
while the premium 2000 model had the wood dash.
While you're right that the non-wood dash was part of the 1600 and 1800 models, the fact is that ALL US Alfetta models were SPICA injected 2000cc cars.

The 75-77 cars had the non-wood dash, and they didn't start doing the wood until Alfa USA renamed the Alfetta to the Sprint Veloce which pertained to the 1978 and 1979 model years.

BTW, DND...those are the door panels I'm looking for. Nice "No Jacket Required" cassette tape there... haha...

Thanks for the wheels comment NM Milano.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A couple more pics...

1) Plasmid, you asked for a picture of the exhaust. Interestingly enough the ANSA exhaust that came on the car is one for a sedan..while it works, it doesn't really have the proper angle for the Alfetta exit and as you can see it looks angled. I've since replaced it with a proper GT ANSA version...pictured here. It's still at an angle per the GT, but the tips are cut straight across specifically for the lines of the GT vs the Sedan.

2) This is the top color choice candidate right now....a Ferrari color called "Rosso Mugello". I first saw it in person on a beautiful 430 and fell in love. It's non-metallic and yet dark red sort of like the original Alfa racing red from the 30s. The picture doesn't do it justice...that was a quick spray from a can outside and a 30 second go-over with Meguire's heavy cut and then a 30 second go-over with polish. Also here is a picture of a couple Ferraris in this color....it's very different in different light and the non-metallic is stunning. In bright sunlight or flash it looks very red, but in flat light it's more maroon...I love it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Plasmid...I found one other picture of the rear of the car with the old sedan ANSA on it...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Alfetta GT

I believe that ANSA tail section is for the Alfetta sedan, not GT.
It looks fine, but the GT version has angled tips.

Also, do you need the front Alfa front chrome triangle?
I've got a metal spare that's been sitting and needs a good "dusting off"...
You pay shipping and it's yours.

Great! Nice car and I really it.
Nice lowered stance and love the Ronals.
Glad, glad, glad you're restoring it...
Hard luck. The ex butchered the paint. Ugh...

-Clark

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes Clark, that close up pic is when I got the car with a sedan ANSA on it, mentioned above. See the previous picture where you can see I've replaced it with a GT version.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I was viewing it on my smartphone and only saw some of the pictures.
Nice. I like the ANSA GT section much better.
The Ronals give the car a very modern look.

cheers,
-Clark

1 - 20 of 58 Posts