Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that winter is upon us in Maine - I'm all set to pull the drivetrain from my '88. It only has 62K miles but the compression is down (130psi) so I picked up a rebuild kit from Spruell Motorsport and found a local (reputable) high-perf machine shop that will do the headwork while I redo the lower end. Will also be replacing the synchros in the tranny along with installing a synchro set-up for first gear as described elsewhere in this forum (have a good donor trans). After the engine/tranny work is done, will be replacing all the suspension bushings and joints along with springs and shocks then on to redoing the brakes (replacing the rotors, hoses, and rebuilding calipers and master cylinder). When all that is done - will reupholster the seats and freshen the interior. Goal is to done so I can get it on the road by the time the ice melts on the lakes.
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

·
Premium Member
1986 Spider Graduate
187 Posts
Nice looking spider. It wears the white very well. You have a lot of work ahead of you! Photos as you progress through the tasks would be very good to see. Happy and successful wrenching through the winter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
good luck !!! I look forward to the endresult!

my restoration spider is off to the paintshop in a few days.

View attachment 1759359
Sweet! I was very fortunate that mine was a Florida car and garage kept most of it's life so the paint is still decent with hardly any rust at all (a few surface spots underneath which will be addressed). Once done with the mechanics I'll be buff her out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sweet! I was very fortunate that mine was a Florida car and garage kept most of it's life so the paint is still decent with hardly any rust at all (a few surface spots underneath which will be addressed). Once done with the mechanics I'll be buff her out.
that is rare!
My alfa has been sitting under a carport in sunny california. No rust at all. Only the sun damaged the paint. Imported her to the Netherlands. The spider is very rare over here. They have almost all perished.

are you going for injection or carbs?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that is rare!
My alfa has been sitting under a carport in sunny california. No rust at all. Only the sun damaged the paint. Imported her to the Netherlands. The spider is very rare over here. They have almost all perished.

are you going for injection or carbs?
Going to keep her injected - she ran great prior to tearing down. Bought a rusted out parts car that I stripped down last week - the drive train only had 58K miles so I have plenty of spare parts for the injection unit if needed.

·
Premium Member
1969 1750 Spider Dual 45DCOE (converted)
25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks. Got a great deal on the lift but knew it would be tight so I found where guys with Vettes were building extensions to accommodate the long nose the Vettes have. Figured if it would work with s V-8 it would work with our little 4's. Just don't extend past the ends of the front outriggers and there's no instability issues.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Going to keep her injected - she ran great prior to tearing down. Bought a rusted out parts car that I stripped down last week - the drive train only had 58K miles so I have plenty of spare parts for the injection unit if needed.

Are you sure about that?
Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas Vehicle Auto part

1 - 20 of 20 Posts