Alfa Romeo Forums banner

81 - 100 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Firstly it was the cost, the rubber is more expensive.
The carpet looks good and feels good under your feet, in my opinion they make it look more prestigious. The boot on the other hand, is all rubber.
I still have the original rubber mats but because of the design (grooves) they are split in some areas. I will use the driver and passenger rubber mats on top of the carpet to protect the new carpet and they also have the AR emblem stamped on them which makes it look better too then after market carpet protector mats.
I’m not worried about getting caught in the rain, as the entire floor has been painted with Por-15 and then covered with Dynamat Xtreme and all the joint are taped with think aluminium tape.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
I am now in the processes of assembling the door components. Can some please give me an idea of how I can install the clips on the stainless steel trip at the top of door, the one that has the window scraper on the outside? First picture.
Second and third picture, the clip goes in fine, but the little tab needs to go in the lip, I can't get the tab to under the lip. The screw driver is pointing at what i call the lip.

Attachments

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Assemble of the door. First the window regulator, first the bottom bracket that has two pulleys and the window stop, this has two adjustments, forward and back, and side to side. Top three pulleys only one pulley has and an adjustment, forward and back, this tensions the cable. I replaced the regulator cable a few years back, notice the card board and the cable ties, this is to keep the cable in place, the cable ties removed for assembly but the card board kept in place until installed. This is the passenger side (RHD) notice the how I have marked where the cable exits, the driver side is different, also I have marked the cable length 1335mm, if I ever need to change it again I will know the length or if my daughter wants to restore the car in 30 years in future.
Installation was easy, just follow JohnM diagram, thanks John.

Attachments

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Next the mirror, I didn't have the backing plate for the mirror so, so I made one and glued some rubber to it, I know its overkill but the body does not flex if you pull on the mirror.

Attachments

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Next the rubber water channels, I purchased the correct fasteners form Highwood. I have seen many spider owners that over look this fastener and use a screw, something you would not notice usually, but I have had to replace a lot/ most of the missing fasteners in the car, that why it stands out to me. The front rubber is also glued to the car so that it sits flat to the body of the door.
The quarter window has been restored with new rubber and new widow channels. The door lock is new and glued with rear mirror glue. I can’t assemble it yet until I install the stainless steel strip at the top of the door.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi I am in Syd as well can I ask who did your windscreen as I am in need of one? Did you have to supply the screen and rubber?
Cheers

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Hi Spider72,

Ace Windscreens & Autoglass

I supplied the new rubber, he supplied the glass.
Do you need a rubber for your windscreen?
Would your car be a yellow spider, I did see one near my place last week, I think it was last week?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #89 (Edited)
I will take a few picture for you, I have been getting home too late, hopefully tomorrow i will get it out of storage and see what condition the rubber is in and then we will talk $, from memory I think it was OK but I can't remember why I decided to by a new one from Highwood.

Oh, the glass, supply only is $180.00 plus GST
Supply and fit is $400.00 cash or $440 plus GST with a receipt.
The rubber purchased from Highwood cost me more then the F&^% glass supplied and fitted.

I tried O'Br!#N glass and they insisted on a post code before quoting me, the price changes on where you live. My quote was $680.00.
But I think if I gave the postcode for Mt. Druitt the cost would have about $250.00 installed, that is discrimination, no offense to anyone that lives in Mt. Druitt.

But after my experience next time i will install it myself, it took 15 minutes for the guy to do it, the only tool he used was two suction cap and a rope, but he did a fantastic job and did come on time.
Without the suction caps two people should be able to do it.

Rich

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
The first video I was building up the oil pressure and filling up the carburettors with fuel. I got out of the car to check that the fuel filter was getting fuel.
The second video, the car would not start and the battery went flat, I should have charged the battery before I started. I will try again tomorrow with a charged battery.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Congratulations Rich!!! So close in the video I hope that you will post the video update when you can. To see the engine trying to jump into life in the 2nd video was so cool. I hope you got it.

regards

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Thanks for that. But I think I will give it a miss.
Cheers
No problem.

Congratulations Rich!!! So close in the video I hope that you will post the video update when you can. To see the engine trying to jump into life in the 2nd video was so cool. I hope you got it.

regards
Hi Benjamin,
Thanks for posting, I have made some progress in starting the car, I had the spark plugs on the dizzy incorrect. The car starts but does not idle very well. I haven't owned a car with carbs since 1988 and (my first car 74 Toyota Celica LT two door and 76 Datsun 260z two seater) so I'm trying to fix the timing, what I don't understand is why do the timing on the F, when you have to re-adjust the setting on the dizzy to adjust to M at 5000 RPM? Still something is not correct, the engine shakes from side to side and not nowing what the carbs should sound like maket harder:confused:.
Also managed to do a wheel alignment following Papajam's and Danyl's posts, that should get the car driveable to the local wheel alignment shop, I wonder how accurate I got it.
I will post some pictures later, I started putting up a sunshade yesterday afternoon and I need to finish it, I two more shades to put together:cool:

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #95 (Edited)
thanks to Robert (Giulia Veloce) I managed to tune the car, still backfires on deceleration, but good enough to drive it to the nearest wheel alignment place / tune up place, or if I'm brave enough drive it 80 minutes to Robert's garage. The sound quality is not good from my camera but here goes.

Attachments

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Now for the speaker installation, do I butcher the door skins??????
If yes how do I get the cable to the door and through the door? I would appreciate it if any BB member that can provide me with some picture. I have searched on the BB and I can't see how the speaker feed though the doors.
I am also installing two more speaker in the rear too.

Attachments

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
Dont put them on the doors!
Why mess up those great looking door skins when you can mount them in the footwell to the outside, right at the door edge. Plenty of room between the interior and exterior body panels. There is a fairly deep cavity there that will allow a 5" speaker.
Just my thought....

·
Registered
572 Posts
Dont put them on the doors!
Why mess up those great looking door skins when you can mount them in the footwell to the outside, right at the door edge. Plenty of room between the interior and exterior body panels. There is a fairly deep cavity there that will allow a 5" speaker.
Just my thought....
+1 = don't 'butcher'....be creative with the speakers and try NOT to CUT any holes!!!!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Rich here is a photo of the speaker wires entry point into the doors (drivers door) aka my steering wheel is on the wrong side though.
Mine have been cut for some reason but due to original familial ownership they should be original to the car (not PO altered). I have not opened the door skins yet but if you need a photo of the interior too I can accommodate. I am quite sure that they have never been removed so wire pathway and factory routing should be maintained although probably holding on only via dust/dirt remnants of tape and fasteners if anything.

Regards, Benjamin

PS Just let me know if you need the interior door photos and I will pull the door cards?

Attachments

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Thank you for the feedback, the footwell it is then, but not much room between the pedal and the footwell! Bill does you foot rub against the speaker?

Hey Simon, I thought about the center console but didn't like that the passenger speaker pointed the other way, the sound was not good enough. I like your 73 spider, I used this picture on desktop for some time, until my daughter was born, now I have pictures of her.

Hi Benjamin, those speakers you have look period correct, 70's. I looked around the wreckers looking for something like that but couldn't find any. If one day you do want to change the speakers, keep that speaker cover and just change the speaker, I think it adds value to your and originality. Thanks for the offer, but don't take the door sinks off.

Attachments

81 - 100 of 138 Posts