Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The brief history:

A few years ago I bought a meh GTV6 as a driver and daily drove it through the last few years of college. It's a bit rusty (cosmetic, not as much structural), but relatively low miles and a pretty solid drivetrain. This summer I started a career and moved out to Michigan. Haven't had the car shipped out but I've been trying to figure out what my fleet should look like.

Last Sunday I went out to Waterford Hills Road Racing. I met a very friendly Alfisti with a bright yellow Alfetta (teching in preparation Mid Ohio), who got me working a corner with more very welcoming folk. Needless to say, all questions about the destiny of my Alfa were resolved and the call of racing shall be answered next season!

I thought I'd float around my very tentative plans and questions and other racers can chime in. I'm planning on building off of the SCCA IT specifications (I've been combing through the 2014 GCR) as they would also make a pretty decent AutoX car. I will likely do some hill climbs and maybe a casual vintage event as well. Does anyone else find their GTV6 racecars to be as multipurpose as I would like?

Disclaimer: mostly I'm just excited about the project and want to chat about it. Just kind of rambling and gushing here.

Engine:

Extensive blueprinting. I work in a race engine build, dyno, and development shop so I have access to all kinds of equipment. I'll build to the limit of SCCA IT specifications but I have the resources to make it purrr. I'll take advantage of the open cooling rules to build a much better radiator system. I'm going for a very reliable car that I can track on a regular basis without concern.

What is the preferred timing belt tensioner for the race guys?

Transmission:

IT racing allows an LSD, do other racers find it makes a difference with a stock engine? Also, do you guys go after the Iso shift linkage or just tune up the early linkage?

Suspension:

GTV6 suspension mods are very well documented as far as springs/torsion bars, swaybars, and available parts but my main question is on adjustibility. Koni Yellows and Bilstein HDs are readily available but do other racers find adjustment necessary enough to spring for Spax?

I have these Compomotive rims. I know they're heavy but I've also heard they're stout and have good airflow and are generally desired for racing. Any thoughts for or against?

Rollbar/Safety:

There's some decent info in this thread but if anyone has other advice on a rollbar let me know. I'm expecting and budgeting having a cage fabbed up (I don't trust my welding enough for this) but if I can save some money by buying a good SCCA accepted GTV6-specific roll cage I would be excited.

Brakes:

No questions here but I figure cooling will be very important. Not sure what exactly my ducting plans are for the rear but I can ascertain that it'll be extensive.

I'm excited!!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I hate to rain on your parade, but you are probably better off buyer a completed racecar and having it shipped. There have been a few for sale here on the boards and they tend to sell for a fraction of the amount that the builders have put into them.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Zin, that would definitely be the practical and prudent approach. Buy buying a Miata would also be practical and prudent :)

I love projects, fabricating, designing, etc. I've been planning on building a GTV6 for awhile now, either for the road or the track. Just decided to go in the direction of the track.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Transmission
An LSD makes a difference in my 4 cylinder so I'm sure it would be necessary with a healthy V6

Brakes.
There are of course big brakes but I think a lot can be done with the stock set up.
I run the stock brakes (Brembo from a Milano) with braided lines and a bias adjuster in the ****pit in lieu of the stock pro portioning valve. I run ATE super blue racing fluid. After trying several pads I've settled on Carbotechs. Cooling for the front is ducted through the outboard headlights, I don't have the rear ducted yet but plan on it using NACA ducts in the side windows and building a manifold to cover the rear calipers. I've seen such a set up on an IMSA car.

Of course we expect a full build thread here.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NMMilano, thanks for the tips.

I had imagined something similar for the rear brakes. I think IT may limit to stock brake disc size, I'll have to double check on that though. I may try to duct from right behind the doors, approximately level with the brakes. A small scoop or NACA duct right there would probably draw enough air. I also know that exiting the exhaust in front of the rear tires helps quite a bit with brake heat.

How does your shifter feel? Mine is pretty lose so I'm not sure if a rebuilt stock shifter would be adequate for racing. It's a constant gripe with these cars but plenty of other cars with the trans in the rear (Porsches of all shapes and sizes, Lotuses/Lotii, etc) do just fine on the track.

Edit:

That thread you linked looks epic!!

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
The wide body cars did indeed duct from where you say. You are correct about the exhaust, I run a side exit.

I have the isostatic as my under pinnings are all Milano including LSD box, I installed the monkey shift kit and the feel is pretty good.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Xan -

Waterford is a great track. You need to check out Grattan soon... As you know by now, Waterford is not a horsepower track and it is very hard on brake components...engine come last in that build.

Send me an email sometime when you get a chance. I'll send over some stuff you'll find interesting (excel/word doc stuff).

I would not mix street and race - it will be a prove to be neither a good street car nor a competitive race car. A GTV6 will be tough to be competitive in ITS anyway, but it will be fun.

Transaxle cars have unique cooling challenges, generally, at the rear. One of our own on the BB, Richard Jemison, is very generous with transaxle chassis setup tips - and one of the few who actually successfully raced a GTV6.

(EDIT- not Randy!) (NMMilano) has a real nice race car. He calls it "budget" - but it's well built. Something to take away from his shared experience: budget a lot more than you expect to for your build! And as Zinhead said - it would be much more economical to buy a completed race car and then fine tune the most important component: yourself (seat time!).

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Randy (NMMilano) has a real nice race car. He calls it "budget" - but it's well built.
Actually I'm not Randy but thanks for the compliment on the build.

My car is an Alfetta and I don't pretend to know about the GTV6, just sharing my experience because the chassis is similar especially since I'm running the Milano drivetrain. Ironically when I got my car it had the Alfetta drivetrain with a V6.

It might be cheaper to buy a race car but the satisfaction in running what you built is priceless.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Actually I'm not Randy but thanks for the compliment on the build.

My car is an Alfetta and I don't pretend to know about the GTV6, just sharing my experience because the chassis is similar especially since I'm running the Milano drivetrain. Ironically when I got my car it had the Alfetta drivetrain with a V6.

It might be cheaper to buy a race car but the satisfaction in running what you built is priceless.
Edited - oops! Why'd I think Randy?

I'm linking your thread here, since it's quite a nice read: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alf...48870-another-budget-alfetta-track-racer.html

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is the key of it right here. If I were an entirely practical man I wouldn't have bought an Alfa in the first place.

Rob, this will be a track only car. I'm not huge on multipurpose tools, I find they do everything poorly.

Yes, braking will certainly be key. I have some ideas for cooling and ducting. I think it's also critical because the weight balance of the GTV6 gives it some nice performance potential in braking. More weight in the rear is more braking load the rear brakes can take away from the front. Rear engine Porsches do well in this because by the time the weight transfer from braking kicks in you're looking at similar loads on each tire, which means more symmetrical braking than a front engine car. Obviously a GTV6 won't have as much benefit but it might have an edge over the front engine or FWD cars like the RX7s that are so popular in the class.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Dude, I wish you well. NMMilano, indeed has a nice car...and I know "not Randy" in real life. I love to drive fast. I generally learn what I need to in order to get the job done, and do what I need to do to the car to make it go. My only advice is more from the holistic point of view. If your "thing" is tinkering and engineering. Awesome. But if it's more about driving, try not to get too wrapped up in every little thing that someone says "saves you two seconds per lap". I also have the 2.0L Alfetta. There is a TON of back and forth on the Autopower roll cages. I'm sure the custom ones are better. However, the Autopower ones are used by more than a few people, and if you're on a budget, IMHO, they're a viable alternative.

Nick

·
Registered
190 Posts
Edit: I re-read your post. It looks like you've already been around racing, so I guess my "advice" is misplaced. Still, it's good to know that there will be another Alfetta GT/GTV6 hauling a$$ around a track.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
NickyDee, your advice is appreciated regardless. I love to wrench more than a lot of race fans and love to drive more than a lot of restoration guys so I always have to balance things a bit. And the advice is I get is usually "why would you want to work on it that much?" or "why wouldn't you want to do everything to it?", making things even a bit more confusing :)

I actually did Formula SAE for 3 years and now I'm a test engineer with engines at a motorsport facility. So that's actually a decent amount of race experience that I hope to bring to the GTV6. I guess that's relevant to this project when people look at the scope of the project. In a lot of ways stripping a road car into a race version is quite a bit more straightforward than what I've done in the past.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I did a handful of Spec Miata races, so that's the extent of my racing experience. I don't have the patience for straight up car restoration, and also find working on a race car a lot more straight forward. Although, when you don't have the template of putting something back to the original, you do get use your imagination.

Hopefully, you'll be better about posting updates than me. LOL.

Nick

1 - 16 of 16 Posts