Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Guys

It has been a while, but I am at the tricky end of my restoration. I will update the thread with photos shortly. I am starting to put things back together that I catalogued and filed away and its starting to look fantastic.

All running gear has been completely restored and installed, just finishing off some smaller items before I tow to spray painting and finishing.

I am preparing for the big day, when I roll the 1969 Series 1 1750 GT out of the oven and start putting all my lovely stainless steel and chrome work components (currently sitting in bubble wrap) back on and then send to trimmer to complete the interior.

When I purchased my vehicle most of the key components where already stripped from the car i.e. bumpers, grill, chrome, stainless pieces, door mechanics. I have since replaced all these items but do not have any of the fasteners for these items.

I want to prepare as much as possible and reaching out to you guys on advice about fasteners. I have salvaged as much as I can from wreckers and bits and bobs - scrummaging though buckets of fasteners etc with that mustardy smell of corrosion and old grease and oil (love it!), but would like to go to a store and purchase new assorted stainless fasteners. The trick is: which is the best assortment of fasterners to get that will cover the majority of the requirements?

I had a dream that one day all the hard work would be done and you could purchase a "fastener kit" to suit Alfa Romeo 105's - external/internal components. I have a bound copy of the lovely fully illustrated assembly book/ and manuals (some on CD supplied by papajam that have some information on some fastener sizing; BIG THANK YOU) - but (Im Italian so I can safely say this) unfortunately the Italians spent more time on the beautiful assembly drawings but less on the bills of material in most cases you refer to a part number for fastener and it is listed and described as "screw" etc but no dimensions for the fastener!! Like I mention, there is separate documentation on some of the fasteners that are referenced which were produced by Alfa Romeo at the time, but quite difficult to follow.

Anyway any advice what is the best - simplest approach when it comes to fasteners for all the body surround components - bumpers/grill/chrome/door mechanics etc...?

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
I share your frustration. For some of the interior trim etc I have found that fasteners either don't exist locally or to order them requires buying in bulk, such as 1000 screws or 100 screws. I've had the experience of going into a place that sells nothing but fasterns, asking for a quanity of 10 only to be told to [email protected]#$% off. I did find an internet site that sold fasterns for the interior trim in classic cars (metric and imperial) and if I find it I'll post it for you. I have found that phillips, dome head, countersunk stainless screws most handy for interior trim.

·
Super Moderator
11,219 Posts
FMD159:

I understand what you're asking for. Such fastener kits exist for 356 Porsches (check out http://www.stoddard.com/shop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=132&cat=Hardware+sets%2E ), and probably for some popular British sportscars. But no, nothing like that exists for Alfas, and I sort of doubt that it ever will - the volumes are just too low.

WA-Alfa:

My experience has been just the opposite of yours. I completely assembled a Sprint GT a couple of years ago, and replaced a lot of the hardware with new and/or stainless fasteners. Most of it was sourced from my local hardware store (part of the TruValue chain). Admittedly, I had bought the car assembled, so I did have the original nuts/bolts/screws as a fallback. But I was able to replace pretty much all of the exposed fasteners underhood and in the interior with parts carried by TruValue. The only downside was that I was visiting the store every couple of days with my latest shopping list!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WA-ALFA:

Thank you for your advice and would really appreciate that website link when you find it.

ALFAJAY:

Trust the Germans, that is perfect. What do you think, if I took a chance and purchased some of this stuff from the website? Im assuming that some of the sizing cant be that different, say for the domed screws for the interior etc?

·
Super Moderator
11,219 Posts
Trust the Germans, that is perfect. What do you think, if I took a chance and purchased some of this stuff from the website? Im assuming that some of the sizing cant be that different, say for the domed screws for the interior etc?
Trust the Americans. Most of the 356's left in Germany have turned to iron oxide - they get their restored cars from here in California.

Dunno if buying an assortment of screws for a Porsche and expecting them to both fit an Alfa and come in the right quantity would work all that well. Again, I just carried my old stuff to the hardware store and matched it up.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
I just carried my old stuff to the hardware store and matched it up.
Same here. The local TrueValue hardware store has a vast assortment of metric fasteners.

·
Super Moderator - Alfa Romeo Expert
16,232 Posts
Frank et al
I acquired an Alfa published hardware manual dated 5/72 that lists fastener dimensions by Alfa part number. If you send me a list of part numbers with a description of each, I'll post the size (if it's listed). Or PM me an email address and I'll send the manual.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Frank et al
I acquired an Alfa published hardware manual dated 5/72 that lists fastener dimensions by Alfa part number. If you send me a list of part numbers with a description of each, I'll post the size (if it's listed). Or PM me an email address and I'll send the manual.
Hello Papjam!!! My friend to the rescue again! I have PM'ed you my details.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Trust the Americans. Most of the 356's left in Germany have turned to iron oxide - they get their restored cars from here in California.

Dunno if buying an assortment of screws for a Porsche and expecting them to both fit an Alfa and come in the right quantity would work all that well. Again, I just carried my old stuff to the hardware store and matched it up.
Cool - thanks for the education on that, I didnt realise.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I once prepared a spreadsheet of all trim screws necessary to put a '69 GTV interior back together. I've attached it here for your use. I can also dig up my vendor sources for screws - its much easier to order than you think via the internet. I would look at...

www.TheCLipLink.com
www.BoltDepot.com
www.McMaster.com

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fasteners

I have some different fasteners, if have original Alfa part #'s I might have what you are looking for.

Jayk

·
Registered
400 Posts
I took a whole bunch of original hard ware to my local fastenal store and they went through it with me and helped me order a nice assortment of things to keep around the shop. all grade 8.8+ and zink plated

Jonathan

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hello Jonathan, any chance you recall what assortment you ordered, I can then do the same - that would be a great start as well.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
John (LAXMAN24) thank you for sharing this spreadsheet, how did you overcome sizing some of the items listed as "not specified" ? Did you record this as well

·
Registered
42 Posts
I once prepared a spreadsheet of all trim screws necessary to put a '69 GTV interior back together. I've attached it here for your use.
Laxman24, what a fantastic resource/spreadsheet, thanks so much for sharing!

·
Registered
325 Posts
This is the latest version, so I did not add additional specs. Feel free to update.

A comment such as "Euro 68-131" means that I found that fastener spec on page 131 of the 1968 European parts manual. Papajam also helped immensely on this project, also noted in the document.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fastsnings

Try the following link for fixings, for example I needed new u nuts to take the self tappers for my headlight bowls, these are the same as the glove box fixings for a morris minor!!!
30 for £7.50

Rivets_and_Scrivets | Classic Car Parts

I am putting the electrics back on my 1988 spider I dont suppose you have any photos of the back of the fuse box?

Cheers
Mick

Hello Guys

It has been a while, but I am at the tricky end of my restoration. I will update the thread with photos shortly. I am starting to put things back together that I catalogued and filed away and its starting to look fantastic.

All running gear has been completely restored and installed, just finishing off some smaller items before I tow to spray painting and finishing.

I am preparing for the big day, when I roll the 1969 Series 1 1750 GT out of the oven and start putting all my lovely stainless steel and chrome work components (currently sitting in bubble wrap) back on and then send to trimmer to complete the interior.

When I purchased my vehicle most of the key components where already stripped from the car i.e. bumpers, grill, chrome, stainless pieces, door mechanics. I have since replaced all these items but do not have any of the fasteners for these items.

I want to prepare as much as possible and reaching out to you guys on advice about fasteners. I have salvaged as much as I can from wreckers and bits and bobs - scrummaging though buckets of fasteners etc with that mustardy smell of corrosion and old grease and oil (love it!), but would like to go to a store and purchase new assorted stainless fasteners. The trick is: which is the best assortment of fasterners to get that will cover the majority of the requirements?

I had a dream that one day all the hard work would be done and you could purchase a "fastener kit" to suit Alfa Romeo 105's - external/internal components. I have a bound copy of the lovely fully illustrated assembly book/ and manuals (some on CD supplied by papajam that have some information on some fastener sizing; BIG THANK YOU) - but (Im Italian so I can safely say this) unfortunately the Italians spent more time on the beautiful assembly drawings but less on the bills of material in most cases you refer to a part number for fastener and it is listed and described as "screw" etc but no dimensions for the fastener!! Like I mention, there is separate documentation on some of the fasteners that are referenced which were produced by Alfa Romeo at the time, but quite difficult to follow.

Anyway any advice what is the best - simplest approach when it comes to fasteners for all the body surround components - bumpers/grill/chrome/door mechanics etc...?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts