Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got a english written, 52 pages, manual for the Q4.I already had a german one but since german isn't my native language I'm very happy with this new gem.Not mentioned in the German version, but explained in the english version is the use of accelerometers which the Q4 has
Just like an airplane, the Q4 uses the inputs of 3 sensors(vertical from the suspension as well) to maintain control and to direct power to its 4WD system.

For those who are interested, I will try to PDF the manual this winter.

Arjen

TD and Q4...

·
Premium Member
9,745 Posts
I just got a english written, 52 pages, manual for the Q4.I already had a german one but since german isn't my native language I'm very happy with this new gem.Not mentioned in the German version, but explained in the english version is the use of accelerometers which the Q4 has

For those who are interested, I will try to PDF the manual this winter.

Arjen

TD and Q4...
I am interested. I have half the book in English and some bulletins in German.
J

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yes, please! I would be very interested :)

·
Premium Member
15,544 Posts
Is this the same as that used by the 91-93S?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, if you refer to the (vertical)accelerometer for the suspension, this one is located in the RH side of the trunk.The ones I mention are located close to the CG, under the emergencybrake console.

·
Registered
776 Posts
3 accelerometer inputs. That's pretty amazing given the cars age.

So what are the other inputs to the algorithm?

I assume the ABS sensors read wheelspin?

Are all 3 diffs active? I.e. does it use the brakes or does it redirect torque to the wheels not slipping?

·
Registered
460 Posts
3 accelerometer inputs. That's pretty amazing given the cars age.

So what are the other inputs to the algorithm?

I assume the ABS sensors read wheelspin?

Are all 3 diffs active? I.e. does it use the brakes or does it redirect torque to the wheels not slipping?
Q4's viscomatic system was most sophisticated, complex and over engineered system at the time of introduction and still not bad in todays simple 4WD system in many passenger car.

Front differential is open but instead of engine power being distributed from center differential to front and back in traditional 4wd system, front differential is always directly connected to the engine power and torque distribution to rear is controlled by viscomatic system located toward the rear differential which is LSD type.
The viscomatic can vary the amount of torque being sent to rear from 0 to 100%. So technically, if front wheel looses the grip, all 100% of power goes to the rear and car becomes pure RWD car. It gets inputs from ABS sensor, steering angle, throttle angle, engine speed etc.

Unlike 4wd system used in MB, BMW, Lexus, Audi, this system is not designed to help you get to the ski resort but to get the best handling performance on dry and wet pavement.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I was under the impression that all 164's with electronic struts had this, now I know better. So how does the vertical accelerometer work with the struts? Does it just control the damping under dive conditions to the strut under compression or limit the other struts from lifting?

·
Premium Member
15,544 Posts
Well, they all do have at least one accelerometer wired in, the various sensor readouts are what makes the electroshocks actuate to the stiff mode when in the "auto" mode; for the S at least, too slowly in my book, but that may be because the vertical motion sensor (the only accelerometer) is located, as stated previously in another post, in the trunk, which does almost nothing for, say, approaching a bump or slope change in the road.

"Modern" stability systems go far beyond these primitive systems in both capability and complexity.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here some more scans, as I said before, this winter I will scan all and combine them to a pdf file.
Reading through the pages I am wondering a few things; there are no wiringdiagrams or faulttrees, more a kind of explanation that exceeds the knowledge of the ordinairy(dutch) carmechanic.
The booklet is written in english, none of the Q4's is ever officially imported to the USA, England, Australia or New Sealand.

Any thoughts about that?Was Alfa's plan to sell them bigger than just some parts of Europe and Japan?

Anyway, here some more scans:

Arjen

·
Registered
460 Posts
I was able to order an english version of owners manual from Alfa Romeo back in 2004. I believe Q4 was officially sold in UK as a special order basis.

·
Registered
105 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts