Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got up the nerve to help Jason get a little closer to retirement. Bought timing belt kit, tensioner, and alt belt kit and water pump.

Fortunately, the parts are made to self-install, so I won't have to pay my mechanic.

Oh, wait...

Next weekend the ole 164Q will be getting the full 90K service and more. Yee haw!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I can't say how the process differs between the Q and 12V, but the parts appear similar with regards to the waterpump, so I will say don't make the mistakes I made! Gaskets are delicate creatures with one right way to install. I've done porsche water pumps no problem, but on my 164 was made to recall how amature I was by putting gaskets in upside down and using the wrong sort of permatex on the surfaces which weren't clean enough. Everything leaked at 4 psi. Slow down and enjoy it! Preferrably warmly as you are less likely to rush it like I clearly did. Have fun!

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
No sealant on water pump surfaces, gasket only, metal or paper no matter. Use a torque wrench everywhere. Use antiseize on steel bolts being threaded into block or heads or any other aluminum. Follow the Service manual and TSB's and you will be fine. 100% agree with Dave. Don't rush, take your time, enjoy the process as best you can and the end result will be all the more rewarding

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not me

Fortunately, I have a mechanic doing the work. I don't know my way around this stuff at all (wish I did). We're doing the whole 90K service ... changing fluids (radiator, brakes, tranny)...water pump, alt belt, timing belt, and various other things. Just did fuel injectors, fuel pump and filter.

Hope it goes well. Just waiting on the parts from Jason.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I've done way too much Alfa mechanical work in the past 1.5 years of Alfa ownership (engine rebuild, headwork twice, brakes, axles, anything that rotates or touches another part), but my favorite job is the 24V timing belt and H20 pump. It just feels nice to know you are good for another 3 years. The second time around it was even easier. Enjoy this one.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fourmotioneer - I'm pretty excited. It may be complete by tomorrow. Including brake flush, obviously radiator flush, new transmission fluid, all new bearings, new tensioner... yee haw

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looking at Sunday for a completion date now. A few additional parts/seals were needed, which my mechanic ordered and is waiting on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts