Alfa Romeo Forums banner
101 - 120 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
what an amazing job you're doing! It like building a new car from ground up.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Working on the dashboard

Choosing the right place :

·
Registered
845 Posts
I like the idea of not having glass in the windshield frame... A much easier job, and a better breeze!

Seriously, amazing work in record time, Chris. I pulled many a 16 hour day on mine by myself, but some days you couldn't even see what had been done. Yours has been major visible headway each post. I think that car is like a rescued dog, it knows you absolutely love saving it. Kudos.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
We have a "dead line" for this car. So we put all the energy on her.

Just 24 hours in a day, when we need 36 !

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
I am not an upholsterer

Reactions: PSk

·
Administrator
14,965 Posts
Chris,

Wonderful work. Can I ask you a question please; do you etch or epoxy (which is it also please?) prime on to bare metal, and if any tiny amounts of filler required put that on top of the primer? Or do you apply filler on to bare metal and then etch or epoxy prime over the top of the lot?

Thanks. Just want to get this right for my 1750. I've heard you need to epoxy prime the bare metal to stop it sweating, and I do not see how you can do that if the filler goes on to the metal directly
Pete

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Hi Pete,

from bare metal to paint :

0°) you can put a layer of neutral anti-rust on the bare metal. we did that for chassis of the 1900.

1°) epoxy => to apply in paint cabin
it's a layer that will completely isolate the metal from the rest of the world. It's as if the body became "anaerobic" :D
you sand

2°) polyester => to apply in paint cabin
with this slightly larger layer, you will rectify / refine the last lines and imperfections that may have remained after the bodywork work
you sand

3°) primer (polyurethane) before painting ,=> to apply in paint cabin
usually black to see all the imperfections with "a curtain of light"
here you put, if you see some imperfections, some putty in very thin layer.
it is better to put a very thin layer 100 times, which you sand each time, rather than once a thick layer, which you will sand one time.

3° bis ) you must have the same color of primer before painting. Don't stay with putty visible here.
Track all the litlle "holes" or imperfections. What you see here, is what you will get when the car will be painted !

4°) painting and varnish

5°) then you have to sand the body (very fine) so that the paint becomes matt. After you polish and the paint will have an exceptional shine and depth

Don't forget that the paint will be dry to heart in 21 days, not before ! (Of course the paint is dry in surface after the correct time and temperature in paint cabin)

from step 1 to 5, usually 3 months... sanding, sanding, sanding, sanding, sanding.....

Hope it helps
(Maybe I wrote some mistakes, I hope no. I'm not the one who paints the cars but I take part in the sanding !!)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Nice color! (y)

·
Super Moderator
12,435 Posts
Wonderful!

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Thank you!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
For the color, it's the Montecarlo Blue Metallic from the Stelvio.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I usually like to see a car in its original color.
But every now and then a different "game" with an appropriate color is not a bad idea!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
The car was red... Owner's choice.

I prefer blue or white possibly grey (personal taste committing only me :))

But rest assured, this one will be very red (owner's choice, again).

101 - 120 of 131 Posts