Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well as very few of you know im takeing on a monumental task of merging a very old german body with alfa suspension and drive train with some classic lead sled american body work........ive no clue where to post it soo ill post it here for now and if the mods like they can move it

heres what i started with..a 1958 lloyd alexander TS kombi wagon..600cc 25hp(top of the line sport engine) top speed of zero to 60 in 1 min with a top out of 62mph...(i traded a 80s mustang 5spd for it)..total weight is around 1200 lbs FWD 30k miles on it, floors GONE..size well it fits on a 4x8 folding trailer :eek:

anyway, initialy i was going to keep the stock engine and front suspension and run a 2.5 turbo dodge caravan engine in the REAR...after deeming the front suspension and brakes unsafe even if i could find parts..i started looking for doaner suspensions and "was" going to run a mustangII front end but was looking at 3-4000$ to have it narrowed i tossed that idea out the window when a little 99 cent alfetta poped up on ebay and i won it for 99 cents..figured if the 83 GTV6 i have is fun and safe why not have the same suspension under the lloyd

a few months later this 87 platinum milano fell into my lap for more or less free..its in daily driver condition and im going to feel bad cutting it up?(more like down lol) but there should be a slew of parts that others need...
haveing the milano in hand that axed the idea of a 2.5 turbo rear engine..why have a lil 4banger when i can run a FUN alfa v6 and transaxle..hell the whole suspension for that matter

in the next week or 2 i will have the lloyd and the milano both in the shop side by side(cleaning and makeing space)....from the measurements ive done i have to take 20 inches out of the milano's wheel base(imagine removeing ALL of the rear doors except the wing window section) 8 inches at the width of the body everything from the radiator foward everything from 6 inches rear of the rear tires just to get it into the ball park of the lloyd....end result however i will cut the milano down to just being suspension mounting points and a drive shaft tunnel

final plan is that i will have in esscense the lloyd will be a micro sized v6 alfa with all of the fun of a gtv6/milano with the looks of a 50's merc leadsled wagon...shooting for UNDER 2000 lbs(hopeing for 1800ish)

if theres more intrest than screaming about the cutting of alfa's ill gladly post more pic's....like the jag headlight setup or the frenched tail lights ect..........you think getting parts for an alfa's bad....go into a parts store asking for lloyd parts...the company died in 1962

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Wow, I'm impressed! Hope it works out. For far too long I've had a fantasy of mating a chopped/channeled Nash Metropolitan body on a 60s Lotus Elan frame. If you need a hand/beer/useless comments send a PM.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
ohh god yeah a nash on a lotus mmm mmm mm.....must be something in the water here in oregon...i figured i was the only crazy one...and thanx for the offer of help i may take you up on it eventualy

on a side note...in a attempt to resolve some ideas that id poured into 24/25th scale models for many years...i took a 1970 dodge 3/4 ton long box camper special PU...took 18 inches out of the CENTER of the truck from nose to tail 3 feet out of the bed in length and dropped it onto a 68 cuda set of frame rails..NOT FINISHED but its now smaller smaller than a 70s datsun PU......

so the lloyd/alfa project shouldnt be half as hard....lloyd/alfa lilalfa...italian sport engineering, german body crafting, 50's american leadsled styleing

if anyone has any comments on takeing 20 inches out of the drive shaft i could use the input

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the only cure is lighter, faster, louder, and more insane than the previous idea

i pride myself on not blending in with the rest of the sheep in this world :p

·
Premium Member
3,568 Posts
Then you will appreciate the Yugo with a Dodge GLH engine in the front, and a Cadillac Eldorado 8 liter in the back!...

the only cure is lighter, faster, louder, and more insane than the previous idea

i pride myself on not blending in with the rest of the sheep in this world :p

Attachments

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats gotta be a total blast to drive leaveing a grin on your face for a month!!!!

ive always joked about wanting to drop a NASTY v8 into a yugo and make it as sleeper as posible and go exotic hunting...would be the ultimate shame factory loseing in your brand new z06 vete to a yugo

got any more details on that beast?...love to know how they hooked the v8 up to the rearend?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Shortlife ... I am in laughing in stitches :D the images in this thread alone are worth a theater ticket. :) but done well it could be cool.

One thing ... I challenge you to actually complete the project :) You know, get it all together, make it run, even if it's in primer I'll live with that. I am just soooo sick of seeing threads on spiders with v8s in them or v6s or gtvs or whatever and watch everyone chime in on how the guy doing it is a freakin genius and god, blah, blah - only to see all posts to the project grind to a sudden hault ...

I know it's a hobby and fun but I'm just kind of sick of incomplete cut ups ... if you're going to hack up an Alfa at least finish whatever it is to become.

cheers!

GV

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
that panther 6 is uhh.... a sad bash of lines that dont work well together..and i cant think of 1 good reson to have 4 front wheels

GVVGTV6 i TOTALY understand where your comeing from...i started on the lloyd last summer and took all this summer and winter away from it working on other stuff to pull a small parts pile together as well as ignore it till the creativity streak came back....there was ALOT of ways i could have went with the project and thought ALOT about all of them.....even considered keeping it stock at one point....primary concern with it was first off to make it FUN, safe and DAILY capable.......admitedly alfa probably isnt the wisest option as far as replacement parts go but the fun, safe(and gas milage too) more than make up for it......being stuck at home 24/7 as im a caregiver for my mother(ill be 32 in nov and am NOT a child in fact im happily married)..so one thing i have plenty of is time time and more time...its the $$$ that i dont always have enuf of lol....1 things for sure i desperatly want to see it finished but i REFUSE to cut quality for quantity.....god knows ill spend forever on the body work as i have the eyes of a perfectionist

as far as the feelings i have..its hard for me too cut up any car...as far as the purists go..i understand where your comeing from...the odds of me EVER seeing another lloyd in person are slim to none but there was NO saveing it for "perfection"

btw due to all glass in the car being flat..ive redone the rear window to be a power window(90% finished just need motor mounts for the regulator) as WILL be doing the same with the windshield...yes theres PLENTY of room to have the windshield slide down into the body

·
Registered
750 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing this progress - actually a set of SZ wheels would look really sweet with that old loyd body ... but they aren't cheap! For some reason all the wheels I really like are $500 ea. which is why I just keep the original campagnolas on it!

GV

1 - 15 of 15 Posts