Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just have to relate this story. 3 weeks ago my wife and I took my 71 for a spin to the grocery store. late evening but not dark. perfect weather. I had just fixed a minor vac leak and the car was running as well as it has ever run. Purring. I said to my wife " the car is running soooooo well something has to go wrong" On the way home my throttle cable broke. Managed to coast into the culdesac entrance to a gated community. Tools out and under the hood trying to foreshorten the throttle cable so I can limp home.
Light is failing. Guy coming out of the subdivision in a volvo stops.
" can I help you?
Me " If this doesn't work I will have to call a tow truck"
Him " I have an Alfa"
Me " what year?
"71"
Me " really what model?"
" GTV"
(I thought I new every Alfa in San Antonio-- there are not that many)
"Really where is it?"
"My house in Italy-- Have you heard of the Mille Miglia?
Of Course
" My wife and I go every year it goes by our house between Milan and Venice. The local party for a straight week"
No this encounter did not end with an invitation to the Mille Miglia but I did make a new friend and he was kind enough to take my wife, two pounds of fresh mussels and some fresh wild caught salmon home while I waited on a tow.
I could have broken down anywhere but was fortunate enough to break down in front of the home of one of the few Alfa owners in our fair city. BTW his father owned 6 different Alfas.
It is one fine community we belong to!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A spare might have been good advice but with the light failing it may not have mattered. I figure the first one lasted 40 years! I think the ground is fine, the cable was rusted. That was really great advice though, I had never considered the possibility that the cable was the ground.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts