Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just have to relate this story. 3 weeks ago my wife and I took my 71 for a spin to the grocery store. late evening but not dark. perfect weather. I had just fixed a minor vac leak and the car was running as well as it has ever run. Purring. I said to my wife " the car is running soooooo well something has to go wrong" On the way home my throttle cable broke. Managed to coast into the culdesac entrance to a gated community. Tools out and under the hood trying to foreshorten the throttle cable so I can limp home.
Light is failing. Guy coming out of the subdivision in a volvo stops.
" can I help you?
Me " If this doesn't work I will have to call a tow truck"
Him " I have an Alfa"
Me " what year?
"71"
Me " really what model?"
" GTV"
(I thought I new every Alfa in San Antonio-- there are not that many)
"Really where is it?"
"My house in Italy-- Have you heard of the Mille Miglia?
Of Course
" My wife and I go every year it goes by our house between Milan and Venice. The local party for a straight week"
No this encounter did not end with an invitation to the Mille Miglia but I did make a new friend and he was kind enough to take my wife, two pounds of fresh mussels and some fresh wild caught salmon home while I waited on a tow.
I could have broken down anywhere but was fortunate enough to break down in front of the home of one of the few Alfa owners in our fair city. BTW his father owned 6 different Alfas.
It is one fine community we belong to!

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Excellent story.

My throttle cable snapped--on my '71--last fall. Within a short walk of my house, but early on, when I first bought the car, I heeded the advice to carry a spare throttle cable. Fifteen minutes and I was back on the road. I might suggest carrying a spare, it's cheaper than a tow truck. But also, check your old cable and make sure it snapped from wear and not from being burned up. If by chance the ground strap between the engine and body is no longer doing its job, the throttle cable ends up being the path to ground, but doesn't have the capacity, so it burns up.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I live here in SA, have 5 alfa's. Do you know of any alfa mechanics is SA? I have rebuilt motors. But am not very familiar with spica injector pumps.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A spare might have been good advice but with the light failing it may not have mattered. I figure the first one lasted 40 years! I think the ground is fine, the cable was rusted. That was really great advice though, I had never considered the possibility that the cable was the ground.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Cool encounter. I would say if you are going to break down somewhere it would be in the Bay Area. I remember seeing an Alfetta Sprint sitting on the side of an exit ramp. I pulled behind in my GTV6. His belt broke and he was having trouble installing his spare. I had developed a good technique over the years which I was happy to share (water pump last).

It is always nice to come to the aid of a fellow Alfa owner.

·
Registered
1969 Alfa Spider 1750 veloce.
1,040 Posts
Last fall, my oil pump went while the car was idling in my garage.....
Thats the best place to break down!!!:D

·
Registered
446 Posts
Last Friday, here in Washington DC, the weather warmed up so I took the 92 Spyder to work. Got out a little early, and leaving the parking garage I heard a strange noise.
I'm only 15 miles from home, so I didn't stop to investigate, but about 8 miles down the road, the alternator light comes on.. Hmmm... I thought, I've got to re-tighten that battery cable... About 2 miles further I look down and the temprature is way past normal, with the light coming on, I pull directly off. Trying to call the wife for help is useless, she's not picking up... next call to my son who works locally.... "Sorry dad, its just now noon in California and I'm on a business call." All of fifteen minutes pass and I get back in the car switch on the key and see that the temp has fallen. I had looked under the hood, and sure enough the fan belt was gone... With only 5 miles to the house and long down hill stretch just ahead, I fire my baby up and in 2 minutes of spurt reach the crest of the hill. Off with the ignition and coast down the hill. At the bottom I let her cool down again, and it was only another 2 minute spurt until I rolled into the driveway... Quick call to Intnl Auto Parts and both Fan belt and a new Serpentine are on the way. Actually ordered a spare vee belt which will reside in the trunk along with the old replaced Serpentine..

Anybody have any tips on changing out belts? I already have the hood off over in the corner, and the Power Steering bracket as well as the alternator have been loosened.

KKKKFL

·
Registered
446 Posts
Ok,
So nobody could tell me that the Vee belt was gonna be the B eye T C H...
What happens is the new belt has these teeth that are tall enough to impede slipping under the crank and the front body frame.... I have the busted knuckles and scrapes and scratches to prove it... to get it in I had to resort to the Dremel sanding mandrel and taking off a bit of the tooth edge. Then, standing in front of the car and looking down, I wedged the belt at the point of the sanded down teeth, between the crankshaft and the car frame on the left side... (Passenger side) It would not budge further, but it was tightly jambed in.. The flash of brilliance took about 10 minutes to set in, but when it did, the belt was back on the Crankshaft "Vee"... In order to suck it past the wedge, I just bliped the starter(necessity is the mother of invention).

The rest of the job, replacing the Serpentine, and tightening all pulleys/belts back up was fairly easy. I just need to do a couple short trips to the grocery store to build up my confidence.

Another option I thought about was to raise the motor a bit with a floor jack, but I think that would have been troublesome since the oil Cooler protection bars are in the way.

KKKKFL

·
Registered
363 Posts
Last fall, my oil pump went while the car was idling in my garage.....
Thats the best place to break down!!!:D
Best place for sure, but you can still bite the dust with the timing. I mean, when you intend to get in the car and leave in a hurry ("Nothing could have gone wrong, I took out the Alfa for a spin last week and everything was OK") and the engine won't even start. Or it starts but make a horrible sound. There are many ways to find out your car broke down while sitting in the garage. Having your spouse all set for theatre or your family ready for a holiday might really make your day :eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts