Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Out of the office!
11,172 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Old tires ARE dangerous; my wife has a 328i she rarely drives (bought it new in 1998 and as of today it has 68780 miles on it). I let the Michelins get 5 years old because she'd only put perhaps 7,000 miles on them in 5 years. She went driving on a misty day and spun the car on a cobbled intersection at about 25 mph. Yes, the 98 has traction control.

We all really need to think about this because most of us drive our cars so few miles and 14 inch tires are harder and harder to find. The temptation to just keep those old tires with zero wear is just overwhelming.

Be careful out there....

·
Richard Jemison
7,075 Posts
Crash

Neither one of those comments are at all fair. Both Roger and Paul were accomplished "race car" drivers. Just because these guys had more money that most of us, does not mean that they did not know what they were doing.

If the car had 9 year old tires as the writer states, that would be reason enough to cause a crash.
Bull ****!! "Stupid is as stupid does"!

It`s called culling the herd! And the world needs a serious culling!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think the author of the article is spot on about the dangers of old tires, but he perhaps oversimplifies things a bit by placing virtually all the blame on the tires. Roger Rojas and Paul Walker really should have known better and double checked the age of the tires before putting any serious energy into them. But since the car had just been delivered via flatbed the day before, I'm sure excitement got the better of them and they lost sight of something that so many people lose sight of, and they paid the ultimate price for it.

There is reference in the article to people just reading reviews on TireRack; have any of you ever done that? I have, and I'm always amazed at often people comment on how much better the new tires are than the old ones they replaced. They're quieter, they grip better in the wet, they ride better, initial turn in is better, etc. Of course the new ones are better at all of that.... the old ones were OLD!! To me, that just shows how little people really do understand, and think about, their tires.

·
Registered
11,643 Posts
Also what happened to feeling what the car's grip level is. Old tires means hard rubber which means low grip, and a driver that is aware should feel that, especially in the dry. Unfortunately when going for a hoon with a mate, bravado takes over ...

Anyway it is the owner/drivers responsibility. A pointless accident. I bet accidents happen quite often on garage queen supercars all the time, maybe not with as drastic consequences though ...
Pete

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Sorry, lining up with RJ on this.
Select your rubber carefully then.......
Oh a blow out has NEVER, EVER Occurred due to a faulty design?, a Delamination has never occurred due to faulty design. Firestone on Explorers ring a bell? Do some research.

This case is different and I get it. They never should have punched it on those tires on that car. But when you state "Tires don't cause accidents" that's just ignorance.

·
Registered
11,643 Posts
Oh a blow out has NEVER, EVER Occurred due to a faulty design?, a Delamination has never occurred due to faulty design. Firestone on Explorers ring a bell? Do some research.

This case is different and I get it. They never should have punched it on those tires on that car. But when you state "Tires don't cause accidents" that's just ignorance.
As you yourself said this is a completely different issue.

Other than the Firestone/Ford incident almost ALL tyre related accidents are caused by driver or operator, ie. running them too low on pressure causing too higher heat and failure, curbing them causing sidewall weakening, etc.

This particular accident was caused by a driver showing off and making a mistake IMO. Sure the tyres might have been old and hard, but remove the showing off bravado and the driver would have felt the lack of grip and accounted for it, but unfortunately he was busy impressing his mate Paul in a challenging to drive supercar (note this is not the first Porsche Carrera GT related death).
Pete

·
Out of the office!
11,172 Posts
It's real easy for any of us to blame the driver. None of us a privy to what really happened. All we can do is speculate. The bottom line is the accident was a real tragedy. Blaming the driver and saying things like "culling the herd" and "too much money and too much car" is really unnecessary and unfair.

If any of the folks who made comments such as these had an accident due to tire failure (whatever that failure is), they surely would be the first to blame the tires. But, since someone with fame and fortune had the accident, they are labeled as having too much money and not enough intelligence, and for that matter, deserving of death.

·
Registered
11,643 Posts
It's real easy for any of us to blame the driver. None of us a privy to what really happened. All we can do is speculate. The bottom line is the accident was a real tragedy. Blaming the driver and saying things like "culling the herd" and "too much money and too much car" is really unnecessary and unfair.

If any of the folks who made comments such as these had an accident due to tire failure (whatever that failure is), they surely would be the first to blame the tires. But, since someone with fame and fortune had the accident, they are labeled as having too much money and not enough intelligence, and for that matter, deserving of death.
Ossodiseppia,

Yes I agree that some comments are not up to the standard of this site, but tyre failure did not happen in this case. They were old tyres, but no tyre exploded, etc. according to the article.

BTW what everybody is missing is the owner had just purchased this car and this drive was really his first drive in the car! Therefore it is clear to me that it was driver error in a new to him car. Sure old and low gripping tyres would not have helped but a Porsche Carrera GT is not a car to just jump in and go hooning, you would need to get to know it first before playing. Unfortunately the drive around the block was not sedate as it should have been in a new car to the driver.

Again these a tricky cars to drive and not the first fatality for this model.
Pete

1 - 20 of 27 Posts