Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Introduction Prepared By Carl Goodwin

Would you like a 220 HP Alfa?

In the heyday of U.S. importer Alfa Romeo Inc. – that would be the late ‘60s to the late ‘90s – a bright, enthusiastic engineer named Don Black managed Alfa’s racing activities during his evenings and weekends.

With the help and support of the president of the organization, Arturo Reitz, he organized contingency programs for Alfa racers. For those drivers who finished 1st, 2nd or 3rd in class, they got $300, $200 or $100. It doesn’t sound like much now, but in 1971 it was a nice payoff. During the first year of this program, the five leading drivers were given a brand new Alfa 2600 roadster for their accomplishments!

To keep Alfas ahead of the competition, with a name that often began with the letter P and was built in Bavaria, Don Black’s racer support program also provided technical advice. “We were just reporting things,” Don commented. “Some of the teams were ahead of us.” Other information came from Autodelta and some came from Don Black’s engineering activities. Production was handled by Kathy Ruccio, who did the typing, printing, assembling and mailing of the information. New pages were issued weekly.

Racers who actively campaigned Alfas saved these technical bulletins. A wealth of valuable information was in them. After a while, 300 or so pages accumulated and Don thought it was time for a book. It was a simple production that emphasized content and information rather than style. And it had a green cover, thus, “The Green Book,” formally titled “Alfa Romeo Competition Reference Handbook.”

The information in this wondrous tome was so complex and so detailed that as soon as you look at it you think “this should be titled ‘Instructions to a Machine Shop’.”

After the Table of Contents, the first sentence of the book reads “Magnaflux each rod individually and against each other and as a group.” You know you are getting serious stuff when it starts like this. It is not for entertainment.

Let’s get ahead of ourselves and see what all this effort will bring us. There are sample dyno sheets at the end of the section titled “1. Power Plants.” The highest reading is seen on a graph of various engines with the 1900cc fuel injected four-valve engine reaching 220 HP at 7300 RPM, after which power output falls off rapidly.

If you don’t have a four-valve engine, how about this one: 1750cc carbureted two-valve engine, 158 HP at 7400 RPM or 1698cc carbureted twin plug two valve engine, 175 HP at 7499 RPM or 1300 GTA carbureted two valve engine, 141 HP at 7400 RPM.

The Green Book is neatly organized into Engine, Drive Train (important gear ratios and limited slip rear axles), Suspensions (including spring rates), Wheels and Brakes, Chassis and Body, et cetera. Nothing is missed. Well, the book is a little light on the early models such as early Giuliettas, but covers the late Giuliettas except drum brakes, Giulia 105s including GTAs, Touring 2000 (model 102) and Touring 2600 (model 106). While the 105 model, with the 1600 and 1750 engines, is really the area of interest, the book does delve into unusual applications including marine conversion equipment for both the four cylinder engines and the V-8 Montreal.

For those who don’t really want to build an engine, there are several options for factory built power plants, culminating with the 220 HP GTAm of 1971. Don Black comments “There was very little interest in these factory engines because racers were under the impression that they could build an engine that was just as good for less expense.”

Finally, in the back of The Green Book are two very interesting sections. One is very dryly titled “Homologation.” It is full of fascinating bits about what the various sanctioning bodies will permit, and what they won’t, parsed in very direct language, per this bit of advice from Don Black “…don’t get caught [with these oversize fender flares].” Information that is out of date in “regular” racing will serve you well in the vintage events.

Preceding this section is a panoply of illustrated performance parts from “glazing in plexiglass” to “aluminum doors with descending window” To “differential housing for use with sliding block locator” and “Lucas Injection Conversion.”

If you think you will buy one, act fast because we only have a handful of copies left. And these 14 copies have the original "Competition Reference Handbook" in black with the Alfa Romeo name in red along with the old style logo on a green soft cover binding.

This is a time-sensitive offer open to the first 14 persons or the number of persons buying a total of the remaining 14 copies personally signed by Don Black.

Contact Pete Vack at [email protected] to purchase your copy.

Pete is assisting Don, who is not getting any younger, in the final distribution of his library items.

Alfa bb members are being given first priority on these rare volumes. Payment is solely by PayPal. On Tuesday at noon the public will be offered any remaining copies (if there will be any).

Act now. Email Pete and visit: VeloceToday.com on Tuesday for photos and sample pages taken from the remaining 14 volumes.

Thank you,

Bob Little

Price: $100.00 plus $25.00 Shipping & Handling (US Only)
Description: Approximately 200 pages, softbound
Dimensions: 8.5″ x 11″
Shipping price to U.S. only; all others contact [email protected]

Over 200 pages of technical notes, references, specs, tips, homologation papers and everything needed to know to get your 1600 to 1750 Alfa competition ready. A classic book in itself, Don Black’s CRH consists of the factory competition bulletins as well as those made by himself while working for Alfa USA and preparing cars for Sebring. We have only 14 copies left: all are new. Note that our shipping price of $25.00 is for the Domestic U.S. only; please contact Randy directly for overseas shipping rates.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Original Competition Reference Handbook by Don Black...12 Remaining!

bump

And Personally Autographed by the Master Himself!

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Sounds like a very interesting book. If I had a 105 I would be tempted. Good luck with the sales.

·
Registered
9,317 Posts
e-mail sent.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Original Competition Reference Handbook by Don Black..3 Remaining as of 12:30 p.m.EST

Note: All copies now SOLD OUT as of March 24th at 2:00 p.m. Thank you on behalf of Don Black.

I would recommend Don's Competition Reference Handbook in much the same manner as Fusi's original "All Cars Since 1910" Alfa Romeo...it should be the law that all Alfa Romeo racing or gymkhana enthusiasts must own and use it as a reference. Just one paragraph of information might save you $125 in lost effort or wasted parts purchases, machine shop time or worse yet defectively-machined part$ (your fault)

You never know what it is you don't know. I have relied on the wisdom of the book in my earlier years driving 105 and 115 series cars and it always served me well.

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
I think I missed out on getting one. I hope they will think about making copy's. I'd be happy to pay one even if its a copy.

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
Just a couple of questions. I bought my copy between 1975 and 1980. Should I believe that there were updates to it after this? How could I learn whether there were?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Hi Guys,

My copy arrived safely in Tokyo this afternoon; a big thanks to Bob Little and Pete Vack for making it happen.

However, my major thanks are reserved for Don Black who all those years ago collected, collated, and generally put together this true bible of comp preparation -- please extend my thanks to him.

Richard

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, Richard for your very kind remarks. I will forward them to both Don and Pete...both true Alfa Romeo men through and through....over the decades.

Bob

·
Registered
9,317 Posts
Please add my thanks, too -- my copy arrived the day before yesterday.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts