Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new Alfa Romeo 4C is beautiful but it resembles an earlier car that is also beautiful with a little more horse power and a few times as many cylinders! Some may see the resemblance while others may choose to ignore it:

250LM.jpg

4C Alfa Romeo.jpg

Way -way down at the bottom of the waiting list...

Mark

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd happily welcome all three cars into my garage! Perhaps Alfa Romeo could not bring themselves to state that the motivation for their new 4C was a (15 to 20 million dollar, +) Ferrari 250LM.

An old friend in the Atlanta Alfa Romeo Owners Club (John Murphy) had a Tipo 33 and while it was beautiful, it was a race car.
Mark

·
Registered
281 Posts
Funny - I have a poster of the 250 in my garage.
A Christmas gift from my wife.
Now just waiting for the 4C to arrive, to park underneath it.
I hate waiting!

·
Administrator
12,551 Posts
Oh how I hate anybody referring to Alfa Romeo as a baby Ferrari sort of thing.

Yes in the case of the 4c the stylist looked at a F430 and designed a smaller version for Alfa Romeo as the rear window, etc. are direct copies and every single magazine article (that I have read) draws the painful comparison.

Now it just so happens that the 250LM is my all time favourite Ferrari so about 3 or 4 Alfa Romeo's down on my all time favourite car list, but there is little resemblance to the 4c, but of course everybody is entitled to have their own opinion.

I can now see the resemblance to the T33 Stradale, but the original was a masterpiece compared to the modern 4c, which I will admit has my interest now and I wish I could take one for a spin.
Pete

·
Registered
109 Posts
Oh how I hate anybody referring to Alfa Romeo as a baby Ferrari sort of thing.
Me too, any reference to a baby Ferrari is inferring that Alfa Romeo wants to be like Ferrari. I don't think Alfa wants that, and I think over the history of the company they have proven to have unique designs and brand virtues that let them stand alone.

As far as the 4C design, I love the T33 Stradale and the lineage of that design. It's clearly there in the 4C. Any mid-engine design car is going to share some aspects that are recreated in one form or another on the 4C.

I've heard many comment on the obvious similarities to the Lotus Elise/Exige cars.

I find the it interesting to look at the Lancia Stratos as well, although not mentioned as an influencer to the 4C, I can't help but look at some of the window angles...

Attachments

·
Registered
831 Posts
Enzo Ferrari was in charge of the racing section of Alfa Romeo. He left AR to start Ferrari. Alfa is the parent of Ferrari and to be a bit more technical, Ferrari is a baby Alfa. I'm not saying that one is better than the other, just that it's a parent/child relationship.

·
Registered
17 Posts
In talking about Ferrari vs Alfa, may I suggest members who haven't, take the time to read Brock Yates's excellent work, Enzo Ferrari : the man, the cars, the races, etc.... see link...

This work goes into great detail regarding Ferrari's employment at Alfa and his subsequent development, as well as the rest of the Ferrari saga. Its quite illuminating, and, afterall, us Alfisti all seem to like be quite illuminated ourselves :)

Enzo Ferrari: The Man, The Cars, The Races, The Machine: Brock Yates: 9780385263191: Amazon.com: Books

Ciao,

Jay

·
Administrator
12,551 Posts
In talking about Ferrari vs Alfa, may I suggest members who haven't, take the time to read Brock Yates's excellent work, Enzo Ferrari : the man, the cars, the races, etc.... see link...

This work goes into great detail regarding Ferrari's employment at Alfa and his subsequent development, as well as the rest of the Ferrari saga. Its quite illuminating, and, afterall, us Alfisti all seem to like be quite illuminated ourselves :)

Enzo Ferrari: The Man, The Cars, The Races, The Machine: Brock Yates: 9780385263191: Amazon.com: Books

Ciao,

Jay
Yes, good book.
Pete

1 - 11 of 11 Posts