Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Glad the feedback didn't deter you in the progress! Looking good! Man, with all that rust you showed back in, when was it , 2010?, I was wondering how to get through that.
Gotta say, I admire your perseverance.
If you need any parts, I just dismantled a 78 without the rust. I'll donate to your project if you pick-up the shipping.

Hope it comes along quickly, the roads are waiting for your Spider!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Fender quarters

Since I am on a budget, and for those that might also be doing work on a budget, I will share this.

I purchased $40 worth of stock sheet metal from my local welder. Rough cut it and hand bent it to fit my Spider. Welded it into the patch areas leaving the ends square. Then used a projector to project the side image of a Spider on the side of my Spider. Used rotate and scaling on the computer to line up the door gaps and body lines, and then traced the fender lines. Then cut the square ends off. Much cheaper than the replacement panels.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Top and interior

I also choose to go with a company by the name of Convertible Top Guys. They had a good selection of colors.

I haven't put the top on yet so I cant give any reviews on that product. They did send extra material so I used it to recover the header bow.

The seat covers did not fit tight, but they are good enough for me. The headrests were way too small to fit the 1979 headrests. I am sourcing an upholsterer to fix the headrest covers. I am learning that there are so many differences between the generations and US vs Euro spec Spiders that you need to expect to improvise. But they did have the matching seat material that you can buy as a roll per yard. I purchased enough to recover my door skins and additional interior trim to match. I have enough to also cover some speaker mounts for the kick panels, a speaker box for behind the seats and a shifter boot, so they all match.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Nice Job! at least when your done you will know what you have and in the process preserved a Spica era car. I do not know if you have looked at my thread , Similar work but not necessary to remove engine,...keep it going!!

41 - 48 of 48 Posts