Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
You are better off using this car as a "parts donor" and obtaining another one in much better condition to clean up rather than restoring "this old beast".

I restored my 73 Spider in Australia to concourse condition 8 years ago and it cost over $45k and it was in miles better condition than this car to start with.

I think you would have more success "pissing into the wind" than trying to bankrupt yourself fixing up this bomb!

Good luck anyway!
My point was that no matter what you start with with a 105 series Alfa you have to replace sills, floor, etc. and thus will spend pretty much the same on the body work.

There is no such thing as a 105 series Alfa that just needs a "clean up", by now the floor/sills will need to be opened and probably replaced.

Thus buy the absolute cheapest but complete car you can ...
Pete

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
Don't know how much you paid but you can buy a rust free spider for under 4k

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Side project.

As expected, work is going slow, and I picked up a side project. A friend needs a paint job on his 90's mustang. Its a west coast car with a little surface rust. Should be a quick job for some extra cash.

Besides that, had to video tape a wedding, again extra cash, and my wife's brother is getting married this weekend, we are in the party. And my wife is on term break so family time is a must. And of course projects at the full time job came into full swing. Whew.

The motivation is still high while time is scarce.

Oh, and the Alfa was free so my cash commitment is low at this time. Only had to pay for tax and title.

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
We're with you!

Premier or Final Cut for post?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Macintosh all the way

Gotta be Final Cut. I'm Mac always now, won't go back to windows. The 27" iMac i7 processor is spoiling me. Multi-tasking powerhouse. I can have an online game running, The daily show streaming, while rendering a 3-d figure animation, with no hesitations.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Exploration!

Special thanks to Monsai52 for the cross-section of sills.

They are now at my local blacksmiths, he will quote me some prices for replacement inner, middle and reinforcement sill panels from straight stock. Working with 14, 12, and 10 gauge steel. We will see what he can come up with.

Because of this I had to finally cut into the body and see how much needs to be replaced. Honestly, it could be worse.

If anyone else would like this cross-section for reference, I would be happy to mail it out to the next needy member, let me know. Same as the photos in the link, about 8" long section or so.

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
Brings back bad memories that does. But the metal above the chassis rails looks quite good, once this ugliness is cut out you will feel much better.

You now need to brace your car before you cut anymore!!
Pete

·
Registered
66 Posts
Dude you gotta be smoking crack.

You will spend ten thousand to get the car in the condition of the same exact car you can buy right now for less than 4 grand.

Do us a favor even its a free car, go buy a 1000 junk yard car that doesnt have an engine or tranny and put your engine and tranny in it and you will be one thousand times better off.

You can find them in junk yards all across the USA...

Please dude, your jousting windmills even with the car free.

I was given a free 84 spider that needed a battery and had no body damage and I changed the fluids and interior myself all for about 500 dollars is my total investment. Now I can get a professional paint job from a buddy and sell it for 4-5K after spending 450 total on paint.

Please guy your going to be spending alot opf blood sweat tears and money on a black hole.

Even if you are best friends with the guy he would understand if you used this Lusitania as a parts car. There are two spider bodies on Ebay right now for under 500 bucks yoiu should buy one of them and just put your mechanicals and interior in them.

Just my two cents, but if you still proceed and want to restore this Titanic after all of the pain and misery your going to bring yourself, please keep the photos going. Were all cheerleaders for masochists!

Good luck and I hope you win the lottery (Or Lots of wedding photo gigs and west coast mustang paint gigs.)

Mark

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Hey guys, I think everyone who has commented has pretty much said the same thing, and the owner of this very sad rusty spider simply isn't listening. I think he has made his mind up irrespective of what all of us may think/say.

Therefore I am not sure it really there is any real point persisting with this line. It is his choice, and there is no doubt about it, this is not something which in any remote way makes economical sense, irrespective that it was free and assuming he can do the majority of the work himself.

Therefore, I guess the best thing is to wish him a lot of patience and hope he enjoys the process for it is sure going to be a lot of hard graft to bring this one back to life. It is possible that is for sure, as my Giulia Super was damned rusty, though not quite as bad as this Spider, and most people would have said I too was nuts and I don't even know how to weld so had to pay people to do the work for me. But now it looks like a Super waiting to be painted, which again regrettably is something I am going to have to pay someone to do one day as I don't have the gear, space, time or top quality experience to be able to do.

I guess in the end the owner of this one is so keen to tackle it, perhaps to prove it can be done, and to be proud of the end result, of his efforts. For sure buying a better one in the first place sure would have been so much easier, but maybe in this instance less rewarding to him.

If so I congratulate him on his courage though I am sure glad it is not my project.

Keep the photos coming mate and all the best.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I must say that I have seen much worse repaired here in the forums. I am pretty pleased that the floorboards are all solid. A small area near the left side needs to be replaced but that's all.

From what I have heard about Alfas and people that have bought " rust free" spiders, I will take the devil I know over the devil I don't know.

I will do my best to track my expenses and let you all know what it comes out to, but when I say I'm doing it all myself, I'm serious. This is a hobby now, it is what I do to get away from things, and relax. I guess that could define me as crazy and insane, but I am enjoying the work.

I will keep the photos coming.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I apologize. I wish him the best in restoring this car.

Hey guys, I think everyone who has commented has pretty much said the same thing, and the owner of this very sad rusty spider simply isn't listening. I think he has made his mind up irrespective of what all of us may think/say.

Therefore I am not sure it really there is any real point persisting with this line. It is his choice, and there is no doubt about it, this is not something which in any remote way makes economical sense, irrespective that it was free and assuming he can do the majority of the work himself.

Therefore, I guess the best thing is to wish him a lot of patience and hope he enjoys the process for it is sure going to be a lot of hard graft to bring this one back to life. It is possible that is for sure, as my Giulia Super was damned rusty, though not quite as bad as this Spider, and most people would have said I too was nuts and I don't even know how to weld so had to pay people to do the work for me. But now it looks like a Super waiting to be painted, which again regrettably is something I am going to have to pay someone to do one day as I don't have the gear, space, time or top quality experience to be able to do.

I guess in the end the owner of this one is so keen to tackle it, perhaps to prove it can be done, and to be proud of the end result, of his efforts. For sure buying a better one in the first place sure would have been so much easier, but maybe in this instance less rewarding to him.

If so I congratulate him on his courage though I am sure glad it is not my project.

Keep the photos coming mate and all the best.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Bracing for sure.

Yup, I'm on the bracing before anymore cutting. I figured the outer beauty panels wouldn't be much for support, and since I could see inside to nearly the inner sill and the doors still open and close, I would be fine. hehe. I will pick up bracing when I visit the blacksmith to approve the sill rough draft and price.

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
Guys,

Once the rockers and chassis rails are replaced then this rust we are looking at will be a non-issue. In the end whether the car is this bad or just has a couple of holes in the chassis rail ... rip out and replace them is the most likely process, thus condition does not matter too much.

I'm also one of those people that has been restoring a car that I probably should not have. In fact my wife has many times requested (begged) me to just go and buy another car, but that is not what it is about for me. Restoring my car to concours condition is a personal challenge and giving me a great deal of satisfaction (inbetween the frustration).

Money and time don't really matter ... restorations should be all about the heart IMO.
Pete

·
Registered
887 Posts
Pete: correct, once the rockers have been replaced the car will be again a rigid car.
Opiwan88: how are the attachment points of the trailing arms of the rear suspension?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
The undercoating seems to be in great condition in all areas. The floor boards are good, most of the trunk is good and the subframes, rails and front suspension mounts look good, so far. Still need to do more exploration. Previous accident damage(removing some filler) will tell me more but most of the rust seems to be located to collateral damage from the accidents, a popped seam here, cracked undercoating there that let the elements in. I will be going at this in stages, first stage is the replace the rockers, get the structure back, then I can feel safer putting it up on stands or rotisserie.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Many years and much life happened, but the project did not end. Here are few photo updates. The negative feedback did prevent me from visiting the forums, but did not prevent me from making progress :). It could be many more years before I am done, who knows. We have two children now, two dogs, the wife is an ER nurse, we are looking at having a new house built and who knows what else life will throw at us. For now, the Alfa keeps me sane and provides me with a little escape.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
Great progress, thanks for sharing!
Add another garage bay in that new house:) and POR, press on regardless

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Fantastic!! And the car progress is pretty good too! Do keep this thread updated as you get through the ups and downs of Resto -- I admire your perspective and determination, please bottle some up and send to me!!

21 - 40 of 48 Posts