Discussion Starter #5
Yups, a stock Evoluzione, # 312.

Never thought I could be this happy with so much (and SO red) plastic! :sailor:

More photos will follow.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I like my cars to be either oozing patina or to be "clean" and this one is... ehm.... "pretty clean"...

(Yes, the turbo cover is there but I'm now looking for the right bolts etc to attach it)

The last owner spent 4 years "restoring" it although "refreshing" is probably the more appropriate word for it.

It has had 2 documented owners before him, it's documented matching number (in the sense that the engine number is listed in the original paperwork; as fas as I know the Evo series is not "matching number" as in "Chassis 112 has engine 112", it was pretty random but in this case well documented).
All the paperwork is there, stacks of old service invoices, service booklet, old license plates etc.
Over 250 photos of the "restoration" etc.

"Striking a pose" before heading home:

I'm pretty happy with it!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Wow, it looks in great condition. Or at least, if you plan to do more work on it, it's a fantastic base to start with. No obvious hidden 'treasures' (rust) I hope!

I'm jealous. Congrats.

:)

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Kool!

Pretty sure everyone loves the Evoluzione! :thumbup::thumbup:

Tho I think the red wheels is just too much, ahhhhh, red. :001_unsure:

Apart from fixing that squashed exhaust pipe that goes under the steering rack cross member, any changes planned?
I never realised how small the factory air filter box was. It looks about half the size of the V6 filter box.

I vote for the chin spoiler to go back on, widened Campies with just a natural aluminium finish, spaced out to fill the guards (especially the rear) and drive the P!SS out of it! :rockon:

Attachments

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The car was delivered new in France so it came with orange corner lights from the beginning. I have seen contemporary pictures of it in both versions.
It also came with the orange tail lights and orange reflector on the trunk lid and I believe that the front was always matched to the rear? (i.e. Orange rear = orange front / red/white rear = white front.
I believe legislation changed around 1990.

This is what I found out on the "squashed" downpipe so far:
The squased pipe is a brand new original Evoluzione downpipe which differs from the normal Turbo pipe which has a weld there.

The exhaust manifold of the Evo differs in size and consequently the Evo needs another downpipe and this is what you get when you can still find a Ricambi Originale... Still amazes me too but I won't go for the normal Turbo downpipe.

If you look closely, you'll see that there is no damage to it. I presume the dent is there to create enough ground clearance (FIA requirement?). It's something that I need to look further into.

The chin spoiler is back on in the mean time but it's not the most practical addition to the car in a country littered with Sleeping Policemen...

And of course the red wheels will stay on! :thumbup:
I have a grey set for spares as well as a set of honeycomb TRX wheels that fit nicely but the red wheels are so part of the visual and instantly recognizable Evoluzione-image that I couldn't bear putting anything else on it...

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
P.S.
The airfilter draws on the "ram air duct" that feeds the intercooler so there is a little forced induction there.
The filter is unique to the Evo and i'm happy to have found a NOS Ricambi Originale replacement cartridge for it.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
The air box looks the same as what's on my 1.6. If interested, send the dimensions of the filter, I'll measure and you might have an option if need arises. Very nice car. ciao, chris

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
P.S.
The airfilter draws on the "ram air duct" that feeds the intercooler so there is a little forced induction there.
That's a strange set up...............
The more air that the turbo swallows, the less air is available for the intercooler which is now being subjected to more heat, because the turbo (and engine) are working harder. :wacko:

If only these came to Australia or were sold in Japan in right hand drive layout................... :devil:

·
Registered
328 Posts
I can assure it: the 75 1.8 Turbo E(voluzione) had white front corner lights.
It should not be difficult to find out the right corner lights... they are exactly the same of all the 1.8 Turbo, 2.0 Twin Spark, 2.5 and 3.0 v6.
Don't do confusion with some replica you can see in the tracks nowadays.
Your Evoluzione is a real one so it deserves the original white corner lights! ;-)

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I have a couple of white ones on the shelf and I was offered a pair of NOS white ones fairly recently so it's easy to swap them.

I think white ones even look better that orange ones... orange and red is a... ehm... somewhat "taste-sensitive" combination... :sailor:

I measures the filter housing and came to some 35 x 15 cm or roughly 14 x 6 inches.

I also found the pressure cap on the expansion tank to be in fairly bad shape but there seem to be several available...

The one on the Evoluzione is currently a 1.0 Atm cap but my Turbo Europa has a 0.7 Atm cap.

Anybody any idea what is the correct one for both models?

Another question is if the Evoluzione still used Romablok hose clips?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts