Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems Alfa wants to come back in motorsport according to an article in the quality magazine Sport Auto. Its not decided if it will be in the WTCC touring car series or the DTM. So the magazine has already photoshopped the car how it could look in race tune in the future!
Personally: It would be real nice to have Alfa back in racing!

Alfa Romeo vor Rückkehr in DTM oder WTCC - AUTO MOTOR UND SPORT

G.

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yes, Alfa belongs to racing, like Ferrari and Porsche, I think, we all wish them back!

But the article - only in the online-version not in the more serious print one - to these pictures, is not so promising, because Wester said in Milano at the presentation:

" "Wir wollen auf jeden Fall zurück in den Motorsport," sagte er. "Wir wissen nur noch nicht genau wann, momentan gibt es keine konkreten Pläne."

Translated:
"We want definitly back to motor-racing," he said." We don't know exactly when, today there are no concrete plans."

Only the author ment, that this might be the DTM or the WTCC, but Alfa Romeo said nothing to this both series.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Just trying to speculate where I would like to see Alfa Giulia(or Alfa at all) to race! And what could be most likely considered from factory!

1.) Most interesting would be to see Alfa with a GT3 car. As GT3 cars are 2 door cars, it would be a 8C or a 4C or maybe a GTV Version of the Giulia. Cost to participate in this class is high and the public is sportscar interested, maybe not the mainstream for Alfa these days!

2.) WTCC is a class that would fit for the Giulia, but even better for the Giulietta. Probably a class that Alfa management would like as the public is right for marketing midrange cars! However this class is not up there where Alfa racing was in its heydays! Like sport prototypes Tipo 33, F1, Indycar, DTM/ITC class 1 etc.

3.) DTM would be a perfect class as the cars are silhouettes of the street cars, but genuine racers underneath. Well in this class you must have a 4L V8. You must have a specially homologated engine and it must fit into your chassis, So if that is a Giulia lookalike or an 8C could be anybodys guess. Expensive class and a bit out from the V6 twinturbo concept of the Giulia!

So even if Alfa comes back to racing it could be in the WTCC, which is popular with public, but not in GT3 where I would like to see them!

Info about the present day DTM regulations:

Technical regulations | DTM.com | Die offizielle Webseite

G.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The regulations of the DTM are only for the year 2016.
In 2017 there will be a worldwide so called "Class 1" regulation for the japanese GT-series, the DTM and some other national competitions.

From than only homolagted turbocharged 4-cyl. engines with a maximum capacity of 2.000 cm³ are allowed.
One says, that there will be an output of 600 HP, instead of the ~500 HP in the running DTM.

But the main problem is, that a current DTM-Prototype costs about 1.000.000 € and a top GT 3 racer, also a similar AmericanLeMans-series racecar, costs half of it at it's absolute Maximum, like a Porsche 911 RSR (991-series).

The Giulia is a direct competitor of those cars on which the DTM-protypes based on - Audi A4, BMW 3-series, Mercedes c-class!
But form 2017 on, there will be a lot of other GT-like cars in this new "class1"-classification.

Hans-Werner Aufrecht, chairman of the ITR said, that IMSA-, japanese Super-GT- and the DTM- managers had decided to go tis way!

The DTM is highly expensive and not so attractive now, because of it's strictly limited parts, nearly 300 parts of the cars has to be the same and that is not the field where engineers wish to work on!
Here I see a problem for Alfa Romeo.

·
Registered
195 Posts
perhaps Alfa might find a racing home in the US? In the Tudor Series? Continental Tire sponsored??...currently BMW runs 328's....now that the M3 is a four door only...you might see Bimmerworld run one??...opens the door for Alfa...just a wishful guess...

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
perhaps Alfa might find a racing home in the US? In the Tudor Series? Continental Tire sponsored??...currently BMW runs 328's....now that the M3 is a four door only...you might see Bimmerworld run one??...opens the door for Alfa...just a wishful guess...
I think you could be right if there is a class with good adversaries and exciting racing and good exposure with the racing public! Alfa is new in the US and wants positive exposure! So lets hope they find a class!

However earlier Alfa participated in the CART Indy series from 89-91, only to find that the public did not cheer for them but for the competition! They dropped racing because there was no interest from the Alfa public!

So for present time if Alfa is going to race. the Alfa community must turn up and support them! Then they have reason to race!

G.

·
Registered
195 Posts
This series is VERY popular in the US, it has a very competitive field, you even have some privateer racing teams...
So from an exposure perspective it would work....
The beauty (at least for myself) is when I go to see this series (Will be at Limerock Park in Sept.) you get to see different classes on the track at the same time...
the Alfa MIGHT be able to qualify for GTD in the Tudor Series as they have a mix of Pro and Amateur drivers but that might be a stretch.

Continental Tire series is my hopeful bet in the GS class, with some direct competition to the Q Alfa in the Cadillac & M3...
The "lesser" Alfa's could run in ST class (Street Tuner) very competitive with Audi, BMW, Porsche, Honda, Mazda & Mini Cooper..
again just wistful thinking

·
Registered
831 Posts
Racing is a very good way to promote/advertise. Alfa needs to do ,ore than just show up on raceday though. Alfa needs to let the world know they will be at this track on that day competing against brands X, Y and Z. Alfa's communication skills are, well, to be polite, crap. To show up silently, then say, "We won't do this again cause nobody showed up to support us.", is ... hmm, rather short sighted. We don't really want to do this, so lets make it fail and blame it on others.

I'd love to see Alfa back in the spotlight again. But I don't see it happening if the way they're going about things.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Racing is a very good way to promote/advertise. Alfa needs to do ,ore than just show up on raceday though. Alfa needs to let the world know they will be at this track on that day competing against brands X, Y and Z. Alfa's communication skills are, well, to be polite, crap. To show up silently, then say, "We won't do this again cause nobody showed up to support us.", is ... hmm, rather short sighted. We don't really want to do this, so lets make it fail and blame it on others.

I'd love to see Alfa back in the spotlight again. But I don't see it happening if the way they're going about things.
Yes agree in that, because if they turn up racing again they should do it for duration, also they should convince by winning some times!

The missing interest I referred to earlier was recorded at the end of 3 years of racing in the Indycar. They were not very succesful, but had a good driver and new technology waiting. However cost and lacking interest made them to wrap it up at the end of 3rd year. So, many factors were decisive!

G.

·
Registered
100 Posts
But, lately I heard and read (!), that Alfa Romeo plans to take part in the TCR (Touring Car Racing).
On which model it will based, I don't know!
The regulations are near by the so called Cup-Types, which are popular in South America, Australia, Germany UK, France, Italy and some other countries!
VW just has presented the racing-car (a 2.ltr. turbo charged Golf/Rabbit) some weeks ago.
It regulates a 4/5 door sedan, so may be Alfa plans with the Giulietta, like the italian Scuderia Giudici does in the national TCR competition this year 2015!
The idea behind this is, that the touring-cars are able to race in national and internationale series, for private-teams and works-teams too and this worldwide, with cost calculation which enable to take part for small budget competit to the WTCC for example, which is to expensive!
Similar to the GT3-regulations, but much cheaper, it should standardize the worldwide regulations based on FIA-regulations.
VW, Opel, are still involved, seen in Spielberg/Austria, Alfa, Renault, Ford and some other manufacturers plans it.
The prize for such a racing car is about 90.000.- €, a joke in relation to a WTCC-Racer!

We will see, but these are my latest informations!
The picture was taken during a VLN (Long-distance-race-series) at the german Nürburgring this year!

Attachments

·
Registered
573 Posts
I would love to see Alfa come back to motorsports. They will not enter F1 and the new Indy is a waste of money now . They should stick to GT and sports racing. A Lemans prototype or Lemans GT class entry would make the most sense, but WTCC or DTM could also be used as a media tool mainly in Europe. It would be cheapest to modify a 4C for a Lemans or Pirelli Challenge class to start things off. Not a fan of the ugly DTM cars, but technically they are impressive. The new WEC cars are also rather hideous!!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Lemons, is an American, low profile endurance race.

Le Mans, is a European, high profile endurance race.

·
Registered
573 Posts
We should assume Alfa will do whatever the Audi Factory Team is doing. Let that be your guide to what series they enter. So I bet we will see Alfa in DTM and WEC in a few years, maybe by 2018/2019??.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts