Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
THe MiTo is a girls car. No balls at all. I hate that Alfa is in this market. Tiny Weeny, little 4 cyl with the look of performance as if its fast. Its like becuase its an Alfa Romeo the huge marque of performance we are to think that that red gerble is a lion. If I owned an 8C and I was at the Red light next to a Mito Id feel robbed.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I hate that Alfa is in this market. Tiny Weeny, little 4 cyl with the look of performance as if its fast.

:confused:

Giulia GT Junior 1300 - Not exactly fast. Photo on Flickr.com by Daisuke Ido

My own Alfasud - sweet engineering, brilliant handling. FWD being no hindrance to excellent road manners. Photos on Flickr.com

Alfa GT - a 2.0 litre engine in beautiful wrapping. Drives great, looks the part. Hugely usable too.
Photo on Flickr.com by Orlando72

The Mi.To is compact, sophisticated, designed to look special and not blend in, as well as having a range of well-engineered engines. Looking back on the last 50 years of Alfa Romeo history, it is the 8C (and the Montreal) that is the anomaly in the Alfa Romeo line-up. Not that I don't like it, though..!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Me No.
That's No Alfa romeo Lads.
Saw Alfa Romeo Chief's photo his name is Luca something ...He looked pretty stupid and way too young for that position. I would like to scream in his ears: Rear Wheel Drive and slap him.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I Stand Corrected

Giulia GT Junior 1300 - Not exactly fast. Photo on Flickr.com by Daisuke Ido

My own Alfasud - sweet engineering, brilliant handling. FWD being no hindrance to excellent road manners. Photos on Flickr.com

Alfa GT - a 2.0 litre engine in beautiful wrapping. Drives great, looks the part. Hugely usable too.
Photo on Flickr.com by Orlando72

The Mi.To is compact, sophisticated, designed to look special and not blend in, as well as having a range of well-engineered engines. Looking back on the last 50 years of Alfa Romeo history, it is the 8C (and the Montreal) that is the anomaly in the Alfa Romeo line-up. Not that I don't like it, though..!
...however i think you know what i mean. I think the allore of Alfa Romeo is the 33Stradale, GTV6, 8C2900, 1937AR12C, Tipo159 etc.... You have to admit the Mito is cute, but not (YaKnow) ...... Even the GT is a little incomplete. The front Grill looks great then you go around to the rear and it just fades like its incomplete. Not an Exotic at all.

C'Mon, Anyone agree with me?

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
...however i think you know what i mean. I think the allore of Alfa Romeo is the 33Stradale, GTV6, 8C2900, 1937AR12C, Tipo159 etc.... You have to admit the Mito is cute, but not (YaKnow) ...... Even the GT is a little incomplete. The front Grill looks great then you go around to the rear and it just fades like its incomplete. Not an Exotic at all.

Well, I agree the MiTo is cute - and not really my cup of tea. However I do like teeny-weeny engines on "fast" looking cars. My Lancia 1,3 is frightfully slow in straight acceleration by modern standards, but get her in the twisties with the revs up, and suddenly I'm riding the bumpers of much more powerful cars (both modern and vintage). The ability to carry speed into and out of corners justifies the cars looks in my opinion - perhaps the same will be true of the MiTo?

Edit: In case you are not aware - my Lancia is also FWD -something I thought I'd never allow myself to own!

·
Registered
418 Posts

- Sure I know what you mean :D

And I agree to some extent - I would love to have seen a more agressively designed MiTo, but then again, everyone I have heard speak on the subject says that it looks much better in person. Also, Alfa Romeo -isn't- an exotic car, not in Europe at least. Many would buy a different car if it was to troublesome to get in and out of, has too small a boot or something unimportant like that - it's a daily driver, nothing else. A beautiful, characterful daily driver none the less.

Given the situation Alfa Romeo is in (production capacity-wise and regarding its place in the market), the MiTo makes sense. Btw, I do love the GT. It was the first Alfa I tried, so it has a special place in my heart ;)

·
Registered
363 Posts
I do have to admit this.... I love cars all together. I may seem to have a narrow minded opinion however I do respect those who love cars no matter the model. I also apreciate websites like this one to allow us all to express out points of view and still enjoy our babies. Ive got a 164Q. And I love it!!!!!! Im sure you guys love your cars too.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I think it is hard to knock the Mito if you are okay with having an Alfa that is front wheel drive. IMHO that imidiately put Alfa in a different catagaory and took it out of the Pure performance car range... as Purity goes. I like the 164... especially the 164Q... I was just dissapointed THat Alfa decided to go that rout.
I personally think the Mito is a pretty cool looking little car and will look good along-side the Mini!
ALthough... i think the modern day GTA is still the competition for the size and performance range of the GTI.?.?

·
Registered
847 Posts

Some people agree with you Oelholm.. dont worry.. ;) I think all of the hate is more of the ongoing animosity that is inherent with Alfa leaving the US like an ostracized step-child.. heh I see a car people have been demanding from Alfa for years, it comes and everyone cries cuz its not RWD...

I do think it's a bit cute, but considering the size of the 105, and a few other of the "classics", it's hard for me not to feel a lineage to those cars when considering technological achievement, and as a potential leader in the small class, as those cars were.

I have a feeling all of this "hate" will change drastically with time....:eek:

As I've said before, the MiTo GTA I think could be AWD.. There's been no discussion of this so it's pure speculation, but here's hoping for a rally ready MiTO... :eek:

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Huh?!?!?! "UGLY"?!?!?! "Just like the 8C"?!?!?!?

Wow... I know we all have differnt taste... but your's must be OUT THERE!?!?!

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I just think the 8C is a bit ostentatious and the MiTo a bit common. The Maserati GT is an elegant and flamboyant car, and I dont think the 8C has the same qualities.

If you erased the grille on the MiTo it could be any car from Japan or Korea, but hey - new cars are all like that, no? In my opinion only the French are still building cars that are uniquely their own.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I think all of the hate is more of the ongoing animosity that is inherent with Alfa leaving the US like an ostracized step-child.. heh I see a car people have been demanding from Alfa for years, it comes and everyone cries cuz its not RWD...
- No doubt you're right. We have already had the FWD/RWD discussion in Europe, and it isn't a lot of alfisti who still only raves about RWD.

As I've said before, the MiTo GTA I think could be AWD.. There's been no discussion of this so it's pure speculation, but here's hoping for a rally ready MiTO... :eek:
- Well, considering that Fiat also owns Lancia, I won't get my hopes up, considering the rally pedigree of that particular brand. Though it would look cracking in WRC war paint! :cool:

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
LOL!!!! I guess I shouldn't talk then... because the Maserati GT really does not do anything for me. Yes... I do think they did a good job with it and it certainly looks MUCH better than the Maseratis that recently preceded it, of which i thought were just sad looking cars for the marque... but i still don't care for it much... even though that Grill does give it more soul. THe 8C however (I feel) is elegant and has carried with it, somehow that Alfa Soul, as well as, design cues of the past... other than just the grill.

·
Registered
847 Posts
- - Well, considering that Fiat also owns Lancia, I won't get my hopes up, considering the rally pedigree of that particular brand. Though it would look cracking in WRC war paint! :cool:
Yea.. good point.. Take a look at that MiTo Production line video on Youtube.. When they spin the car over and reveal the undercarriage...
I'd say that's a big center tunnel for just some exhaust pipes.. ;)
Again... pure speculation..

·
Registered
363 Posts
Its ugly, just like the 8C.
The MiTO is way better looking than the MINI however something about the MINI is more manly. The MiTo is kind of for kids with cars 1st year college or last year high school. They should call it the (red) Smurf. and name them according to its personality. Angry Mito, Handy Mito, and of course Mit'ette.

However to call the 8C Ugly. You must be joking. Please tell me what looks better. It competes (in looks) with the Aston DB9. I do wish they build the Alfa Romeo Diva too...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts