Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After months of hard work we entered the newly restored Arna in the UK AROC national concours last weekend,to our surprise we came second overall :)

Its the only one left in the UK and maybe in Europe too!

These old 80s Arnas are now very rare indeed

Attachments

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I saw one in Sicily a year or two ago, licened and in faily good neck - 4 door version.
But, yes they are very rare - wasn't something you saw every day even in Italy, back when they were new.
They were not imported in Scandinavia, don't remember seeing any in Germany but did in France.
Saw the one TopGear destructed on YourTube.
Erik

·
Registered
9,732 Posts
There are at least two Arnas (one a TI and the other an L) at the Alfa Blue Team in Milan (see picture here).

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Those Blue Team cars were taken straight off the production line in 1985

I wonder how much one of these cars would be worth today......

There seems to be only two or three road registered Arna 1.5 Ti's left in Europe and ours is the only RHD version!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have seen more right hand drive Arna's (and Nissan Cherry Europe's) over the past years. And many, many more LHD Arna's. They are not worth that much. You can buy them in Italy for 500 to 1500 euro. 1.5 Ti's are maybe a bit rarer but still not one of the most valuable Alfa's.

·
Registered
228 Posts
We had lot of Nissan Cherrys around Europe and I guess the Arna option was a limited offer in Italy and for a few other exportings from Italy.

·
Registered
129 Posts
We had lot of Nissan Cherrys around Europe and I guess the Arna option was a limited offer in Italy and for a few other exportings from Italy.
The Nissan Cherry is not the same as an Arna. The Nissan Cherry 'Europe' model was the Nissan Cherry model with the Alfa boxer engine (basically an Arna but with Nissan logo's). The Arna was sold as Europe in some European countries and apparently as "Nissan Pulsar Milano" in Japan (although I have not seen good pictures of the Pulsar Milano with the Alfa engine yet):

Nissan Cherry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Restored........about a year of my life and over 400 hours of hard work.......

I think it was worth it though for the 1980s Alfa Romeo/Nissan conservation point of view, it cost thousands of Euros to complete but someone had to do it :D

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Nice! There has been a rustfree Arna sitting in my storage for years...the guy owning it took it apart to start a restauration, but left it unattended for years now.

Btw I have a brandnew arna exhaust in case you are interested. Very cheap!

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
I will shoot some pictures and ask the guy if he wants to sell it. I also just spotted a new! Arna in the italian collection that was for sale at the beginning of the year.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, sorry to drag up a slightly old thread, it being my first post and all, but I figured you might be interested to see my Cherry Europe GTi which is literally the double of yours... only with considerably more rust and general tiredness. It took me 6 years to track this car down and get hold of it after catching a fleeting glimpse of it one day whilst sat at a traffic light in Grimsby. Eventually I caught up with the elderly lady owner and a year or so later she got in touch again to offer it to me. Sadly by that time it had deteriorated considerably, however most of the unique components are okay (apart from the rear spoiler but I have sourced a new one for it now). The engine needs a rebuild and of course there's plenty of rust to repair but as you pointed out, these are so rare now that it's certainly worth the effort. I am slowly collecting parts and panels with which to rebuild the body. Most of it is the same as an N12 Cherry apart from inner sections from the bulkhead forward and the rear panel. Amazingly I managed to get hold of a brand new rear panel! Anyway, it is currently in storage pending restoration. Here is a picture of it as it arrived. Not the nasty two tone, applied by a garage to hide their shoddy repair work to the sills and rear arches...

I have gathered a fair bit of information on these cars so far and also hold the original type approval paperwork for their sale in the UK (this work was done by Nissan UK for both Alfa and Nissan re-badged versions as far as I can tell). I wish I had more data on the ones sold by Alfa Romeo as I have a list of every single one sold through Nissan dealers. It'd be nice to know exactly how many of both versions were sold. For the record, there were a just over 1000 Cherry Europe GTi's sold. I believe the these two are almost certainly the only two left here now.

I'm a bit gutted i couldn't make it to the NEC as I would have loved to have seen yours in person. Thankfully a friend thought to take lots of pics for me!

-Ed

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the info,massive interest at the show and all over the interweb as youve heard
Yours and mine are most likely the only 3 door RHD Nissan Cherry GTI/Alfa Arna Ti left on the planet!

There is are one or two 4 door LHD 1.2 SL models around Europe,the Swiss Jubilee Ti in the Alfa Museum but that's about it

Dave

·
Registered
21 Posts
Heres another shot of that beautiful Arna...
taken at National Alfa Day 2011.
BATMAN, well done that man!
The car is impeccably restored. :drool:

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
I only realized this type of car existed not even a year ago. In Australia that body shape was sold as a Nissan Pulsar and known as a reliable car, despite what reviews back in the day said about the Arna it would have had more hart and sole than the Nissan.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts