·
Super Moderator
11,390 Posts
Another one that may buff out.....

·
Registered
259 Posts
Long Ago and Far Away but Not Forgotten -- 1963 Giulia Spider

My first car -- a 1963 Giulia Spider -- purchased in June 1972 from the original owner, a PANAM flight attendant who had picked it up in Italy. 41721 original miles and had never been molested, driven on salt, smacked, or painted. The soft top had never been used. Its only quirk was an intermittent starter solenoid short and I soon learned to park it facing downhill...

Drove it everywhere (Sierra Nevada, California; San Felipe, Baja California) until March 1976, when a college kid in a BMW ran a red light and I hit him. I didn't believe the body man could make it whole again and sold it to him. Boy was I wrong.

First photo shows it sitting forlornly in the back of Griswold's San Pablo Avenue, Berkeley shop. Second photo shows it whole again some months later.

I do miss the old girl.

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,654 Posts
That did just "buff out"....

Glad she survived, I wonder where she is now ??

Interesting that the dash appears not to have the usual Giulia puffy covering or any covering at all except the usual nosing......

Aye
Greig

·
Registered
259 Posts
She did indeed come with the infamous cracking and decomposing padded dash. I ended up removing it, mostly, and installing the wrinkle black metal molding from a Giulietta Spider I secured from somewhere. Never got to removing the windshield in order to paint the top of the dash to match, though. Always thought that Alfa had been foolish in abandoning the simpler all-metal dash and trim.

No idea where she might be today. Just as well, probably, or I might be inclined to spend a disproportionate amount of money to recover her for my garage.

1681 - 1700 of 1781 Posts