Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The "GTAm", What it is.

This comes from the files of American GTAj Racer Jeff Kline.

Font Parallel Transparency Rectangle Document
Rectangle Font Parallel Transparency Number
Font Rectangle Parallel Number Handwriting

·
Administrator
12,861 Posts
Ken,
Can you send me those pages as a PDF file so I can print them out and add to my reference files?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ken,
Can you send me those pages as a PDF file so I can print them out and add to my reference files?
I will try to PDF them soon but don't know exactly how.

Ken

·
Premium Member
25,080 Posts
Jeff wrote a piece on racing a GTA Jr in the late 60s, I published in the Berlina Register newsletter. Let me know if you want, I can send it.
Andrew

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can scan them for you, make PDFs, but you'd have to mail them to me.
Andrew
Hey Andrew, Gordon's request has been handled, but thanks.

K

Reactions: Gordon Raymond

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
FWIW Ken....there are free smartphone apps available that allows your phone to behave like a scanner. Simply...shoot any document and it will auto correct the document for angular distortion (which arises due to the very small camera lens on the phones). I use the app all the time...it'll create the PDF of the image photographed which can then be sent via facebook or email. The one I use is called clear scanner...super fast, easy to use and portable!

·
Administrator
12,861 Posts
We were looking for the easiest way. We got it! Thanks. The point here is that the GTAm's were created from production GT's while the GTA's and jr's were "factory" manufactured as such. Today many GTAm's are only "real" (whatever that might suggest) with period racing documentation. Factory GTA's and jr's had known serial numbers, and still, at todays collector prices, there are reproductions made from cars demolished and written off years ago. With the GTAm's there are more, custom built, but laking period competition documentation.
This is only my opinion from my own observations over many years. Others may disagree. Thats fine. I needed a copy of Kens build info just for my own records.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Agree Gordon, period documentation / provenance is the key to these cars. Like having John Lennon's Rolls Royce:
either you can actually have the real car with its documentation, or you could paint up a clone. In both instances they are
physically much the same thing, but only one has the period provenance and was actually present at the important period in history with the people and events of that time.
It is indeed a good thing that the researchers/publishers of Alleggerita did a lot of long, hard work to uncover the original period cars, chassis numbers and their histories. Much of it previously unknown to me.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Interesting to see that the GTA 1300 Junior engine in this document is specified with 78,0 x 64,5 and 1290cc. The CRH quotes 78,0 x 67,5.
The GTAm engine in this document is quoted with 84,5 x 88,5 and 1972cc. The CRH quotes 1972cc as well. Whereas I see 1985cc quoted regularly.

Ciao, Olaf

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts
Interesting to see that the GTA 1300 Junior engine in this document is specified with 78,0 x 64,5 and 1290cc. The CRH quotes 78,0 x 67,5.
The GTAm engine in this document is quoted with 84,5 x 88,5 and 1972cc. The CRH quotes 1972cc as well. Whereas I see 1985cc quoted regularly.

Ciao, Olaf
78,0 x 67,5 = 1290cc
84,5 x 88,5 = 1985cc

Some errors in documentation are creeping in as you say :)
Pete

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Hello Ken,

Any idea who the writer of this document is? Could it have been Don Black? As it is an Alfa Romeo Corse with "Alfa Romeo Inc." (US) origin?

Ciao, Olaf

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Olaf. Well I do not know but it certainly could be from him or his office.

Ciao

Ken

Reactions: Zagato_Olaf

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Hello Ken & members,

Just to be complete.
We talked about the Alfa Romeo Corse document and the Competition Reference Handbook (CRH) written & compiled by Don Black.
In Group 8E, Page 1 of the CRH, all available complete engine options were mentioned as per June 1971.
I took the liberty to make a list so everybody can see what were the options.
The 1750 GTAm, GTA 1300 Junior, 1600 GTA and other types are mentioned with specs.

Ciao, Olaf

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts