Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
625 Posts

· Registered
625 Posts
In the mid 80's, Alfa Romeo Australia issued a Tech Bulletin saying weld up the hole, only to find that V6s everywhere were spitting belts quite reliably at 50,000 odd km. An Alfa engineer was sent out from Italy to see what was happening. The story was that Alfa hit the roof when they saw what was being done! They issued another bulletin explaining the system and why it was that way.
Haha, funny. It's funny how many times I start working on a car, and I can't understand why a part won't come out, or something seems a$$-backwards, when the reality is that I just need to start thinking like an engineer and find out WHY it's designed that way, and WHAT it's trying to accomplish before attempting to modify or service it. Then there are other times, when a bolt is too long and I have to take off an intake manifold assembly or jack the engine up an inch and a half to get the alternator off. That being said, it is good to do your research. The belt tensioner seems to be like everything else on the car, as long as the maintenance schedules are followed, the car operates beautifully; modifications as far as handling, mounting and performance aren't a bad idea at all, and some may even raise the value of the car (depending on the audience), but messing with the core engineering of the car and it's accessories is not recommended, there will be consequences. having to change the belt twice as much being one of them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.