Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so finally I'm wondering about a front bumper issue on MANY spiders I see pictures of. I notice this so much, and I'm asking you all about it. Here's the issue: I see this gap at the top of the bumper, where it meets the front edge of the hood. My 91 Spider Veloce has it, see the photo - side view. I see it often on Spiders on ebay and for sale among the various venues online. The gap is about 3/4" to 1" in size.

This gap makes it seem like the bumper is not attached properly. It's like the bumper does not have a flush fit wrapping around the hood. It just plainly appears like a common issue. It does not seem normal, and I'm wondering if this is a body shop fix where they can tighten or adjust the bumper to get it flush to the hood edge?

So anyone have any insights on this annoying little front end disturbance?

Vince

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
It's actually designed that way.

There are 6 rubber pads that create the gap.

IAP #43799

My guess is is for air flow to the radiator.

Vin

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
My car had an ugly gap (perhaps a little worse than other cars) and I think I was even missing the little rubber pads. I was able to adjust the bumper to make it look much better. The bumper shocks are mounted to the frame using 4 bolts, and I put a washer between the bumper and body on the lower bolts, which tilted the bumper upwards.

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
although there is meant to be a slight gap between top of bumper and bottom of nose cone (where the rubber pads/spacers sit), an inch is too much!
Also it should be almost even all the way along, and not like the first photo here which probably is a sign of bodywork or a slight front bump.
Rubber pads (black) with overspray is a first sign of possible front end work.
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/53295-93-spider-front-bumper-gap.html

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know the car was resprayed a few years ago and I'm guessing the bumper was reinstalled let's say not to full spec..I'm going to look into those rubber pads.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,536 Posts
The service manual says you can put washers between the bumper shocks and the bumper brackets to adjust the clearance.

Another thing that can happen is the bumper may be loose on the brackets. The bumper shocks are bolted to the bumper brackets, and the brackets are riveted to a metal strip running the length of the bumper. On my car the rivets have worked a little loose over the years which causes the bumper to sag slightly. Haven't had the bumper off to fix it yet because it's not very noticeable yet.

If you can move the front of the bumper up and down without the brackets or shocks moving, this is likely your problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts