Alfa Romeo Forums banner

121 - 123 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Any new updates ¿

Unfortunately I heard Lloyd closed up and I never goto get a chance to see him before he closed up shop.
Yep time closes in on all projects and people..:frown2:

·
Registered
846 Posts
I did not see the engine at the time of the close down sale, so he may have taken it home or on sold it.
The used car parts he had accumulated some sold at the close down sale, some took home and what was left was sent to the metal recycler. There was one mound of used car parts that was about 4 foot high destined for the recycler. I purchased some 105 bits like Dunlop calipers and 2 bolt dogbones/ front suspension arms during the close down sale.
He had a rather unpleasant home garage accident not long after the close down, he seemed okay a while after. Hope he is well.
As a safety officer and as I mentioned before, always plan to walk out of your garage / workshop in the same condition as you walked in!
Steve

·
Registered
1 Posts
I guess if a straight 8 will hold together then this one is in with a chance!

The gearbox: as Lloyd's 300HP supercharged racer on slicks works well with the Sud box we will stick with this.

The rods and bolts will be lightened and balanced to keep it as smooth as possible, along with the crankshaft of course. We don't think external harmonic balancers will be needed to achieve this.

Crank design: the shorter stroke is good as there's about 12mm/ half an inch of overlap of the crank journals, at least as good as some local V8's.

The exhaust note note should be BETTER than a flat plane V8!

At this stage I think a supercharger would an easier way to get more power than going to 16 valve heads, as we are using larger valves from later engines and will clean up the flow on the heads.

Rigidity: this is the killer so there will be the 8mm steel plate acting as a girdle bracing the blocks together via the sump faces. Along with longer bolts to suit it will have dowels where we can fit them, and tags at 90 degrees so the crossbolts for the main bearing caps that pass through the block will bolt down through them.

Power: ultimately 300+ shouldn't be too hard but we want to make sure it works first before getting too carried away.
Were you successful with the flat eight project?

121 - 123 of 123 Posts