Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Lionel; for those of us struggling with SS Giulia restorations, I thank you for pointing to this car as a good model for restoration. Using this car as a basis, I have a few questions.

1. This car is 381339; my car is 18 numbers later, 381357. This car's motor number is 00121.01338, but my motor number is 00121.01263; 75 numbers earlier. Should there be a sequential correlation between chassis and motors w/ the SS? Or is it possibly like certain ranges of Ferrari in the 1960s where the s/n of the rolling chassis sent to PF for body did not necessarily have a sequential relationship to the PF build number?

2. I always make a point to note what type of fuel line has been put in between the Webers. The parts manual says that motors .01350 and earlier should have the yellow wrapped line, whereas motors .01351 and later should have the greenish-tint clear tubing. With my motor number (assuming that it is original to my car, given the chassis number), I should have the yellow line, but my carbs came to me with very ancient clear tubing (I believe my car was last on the road in 1971). Of course, my carbs are 40 DCOE 24, when I think they are supposed to be 40 DCOE 2 . . . .

3. The air plenum and valve covers appear to be a warm/tan color - is that the result of a fresh blasting? Or have they been coated? And the head and block do not appear to have been painted; I was under the impression that they were to be painted silver?

thanks in advance for your input.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Lionel; for those of us struggling with SS Giulia restorations, I thank you for pointing to this car as a good model for restoration. Using this car as a basis, I have a few questions.

1. This car is 381339; my car is 18 numbers later, 381357. This car's motor number is 00121.01338, but my motor number is 00121.01263; 75 numbers earlier. Should there be a sequential correlation between chassis and motors w/ the SS? Or is it possibly like certain ranges of Ferrari in the 1960s where the s/n of the rolling chassis sent to PF for body did not necessarily have a sequential relationship to the PF build number?

2. I always make a point to note what type of fuel line has been put in between the Webers. The parts manual says that motors .01350 and earlier should have the yellow wrapped line, whereas motors .01351 and later should have the greenish-tint clear tubing. With my motor number (assuming that it is original to my car, given the chassis number), I should have the yellow line, but my carbs came to me with very ancient clear tubing (I believe my car was last on the road in 1971). Of course, my carbs are 40 DCOE 24, when I think they are supposed to be 40 DCOE 2 . . . .

3. The air plenum and valve covers appear to be a warm/tan color - is that the result of a fresh blasting? Or have they been coated? And the head and block do not appear to have been painted; I was under the impression that they were to be painted silver?

thanks in advance for your input.

Brian,

The delineation of what is absolutely correct for the vehicle tends to loose some translation after a given period of time, and the reasons are numerous. You are correct, in pointing out some of such details. Yet, some of these slight alterations or personal liberties can be considered of less significance when compared to the overall condition along with the good taste and attention to important details. If you go back and see my summary for the past SS Bonanza The Sprint Speciale Auction Bonanza | Auto Italia Sportiva you will agree that this particular sample is the finest to date.

Disclaimer: This SS have one of my wiring harnesses and the others did not. Therefore, I have somewhat of a given bias for this vehicle. Additionally, I know all that it went into the restoration of this exemplary example.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I replaced the greenish clear fuel line between my Weber 40DCOE2 carbs. I also replaced all of the clear fuel lines on the rest of the car with a greenish clear fuel line that was also used on the same year Ferraris. I have a 1961 Sprint Veloce that was produced on June 14, 1961 and was purchased by my father around September, 1961.

I help restore my friend's 1961 SS and it did not have paint on head, block, valve cover, air plenum or intake manifold. My 1961 SV did not have paint on any engine part as well.

I received an email from a former 1961 SV owner in the UK and his 1961 SV had an Alfa Vin number ARE 159010 which was five numbers later than my Alfa Vin number ARE 159005. His engine number was 10106 02345 and my car was 10106 02336. I think that the cars were built at the same time and the body and engine numbers were very close together. Sprint Veloce Mechanically Complete 8-29-14 006.jpg

Sprint Veloce Mechanically Complete 8-29-14 007.jpg

Sprint Veloce Mechanically Complete 8-29-14 010.jpg

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Bryan, let me jump in here on this to help clear up some of your concerns:
The cars were pulled at random from a warehouse at the factory as they came in from Bertone/Pininfarina. The cars were most likely built by contracts for the dealers for cars sold to a client, or in batch runs of a particular color. The random build dates verifies this. Two cars in sequence of AR numbers could have been built months apart. The engines were prebuilt, put on dolly's and stored on shelves in a warehouse. The engines were just pulled off the shelf so it would be a stroke of pure random to get the correct engine number in your car. In all of my cars on the register I think there might be one or two that are close to being correct. I just look for a block to fit in a group when looking at a car for the register to see if it fits the sequence of the other cars. You can tell if a engine is out of sequence hence it came from another car.

2. I always make a point to note what type of fuel line has been put in between the Webers. The parts manual says that motors .01350 and earlier should have the yellow wrapped line, whereas motors .01351 and later should have the greenish-tint clear tubing. With my motor number (assuming that it is original to my car, given the chassis number), I should have the yellow line, but my carbs came to me with very ancient clear tubing (I believe my car was last on the road in 1971). Of course, my carbs are 40 DCOE 24, when I think they are supposed to be 40 DCOE 2 . .
If your carbs are 40DCOE24/27 those are most likely a Super or Duetto and would have had the green fuel line. The 40DCOE2 would have had the green line. The yellow fuel line is for the 40DCO3 carbs as you point out up to a certain body number. It is sold by the inch, readily available and can be a pain from what I have heard to install to get it to fit correctly with the proper fittings.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Brian, et alia,

Here is a photo link of the White SS on ebay.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshaha/sets/72157648294679785/

As a indicated earlier it is the nicest SS I have seen hitting the auction circles. It is a fully and well documented restoration with all work completed by well respected people in their specific field.

The car is currently at $150,000 and given the fact that it is well represented by the owner.

·
Registered
98 Posts
thank you, Lionel! I have also been in touch w/ the seller.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts