Alfa Romeo Forums banner

141 - 160 of 217 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
I've noticed people look at me in my Giulia Q4 like they did when I drove a Porch. Like I'm a d$^k or something. To intimidated to say anything. Now in the Berlina or GTV folks are more that happy to engage.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
All kidding aside, Porsche certainly has EARNED the stellar reputation they have as a producer of excellent sports/GT cars, successful competitor and a legendary marque. And all since the end of WWII. No one can argue with all those Le Mans victories, not to mention all the other racing domination of the cars from Weissach. And to be transparent, I have only driven two of them, a 356 decades ago, briefly, and a 911 in the mid '70s. Like all vehicles, they are not without their faults. My neighbor here is the original owner of a '73 911, a lovely yellow one, lovingly restored. Three times he has embarked on trips across country, and three times he has spent as much or more, on repairs and hotel stops along the way, as for the trip itself. If my Alfas were ever that undependable, I'd take them out and knock over mailboxes with them in the night. And this guy is not cheap, either... he's not like many Alfisti. He has spent tons of money on restoration and prep, not being a wrench turner himself. But I credit him with being a die hard Porschephile, alright! And yes, his 911 is an old car, too. But I can't help compare it to our son's '86 GTV 6, which served him faithfully as a daily driver go-to-college car, while still undergoing restoration here in our garage. He drove it out to Kansas City the summer of 2016, working a summer job for a Lexmark company. No issues, except it did test his A/C system to the max!

On the topic of dealers though, FCA was (and is) very aware of what it takes to market, present, sell and service sport luxury vehicles in that segment, against very tough competition. I've discussed that with one of the top sales guys for Alfa and Fiat in this area, and the very astute owner of the dealership also, and FCA didn't just accept any hole in the wall shop for their studios. Forget the old image of the 1960s and 70s Alfa dealers... that wouldn't work in this market today, with the level of buyer information and sophistication out there. These guys tell me they have to earn every sale, every time, but they're doing it successfully (a lot of it via the internet). Heck-- we hope to be a Stelvio customer of theirs next year. Bottom line, this market today, and this vehicle lineup, present and planned, is make-or-break for Alfa Romeo. And I am optimistic. I had a chance to speak briefly with a Giulia owner this afternoon, with my teen daughter along savoring the Giulia's lines, and he was still very much in love with his new Alfa after over a year of ownership. Forza Alfa!

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
Regarding dealers, Elon Musk in a book I've just finished reading said that market surveys said that one of the most hated things about buying a new car is going to/through a car dealership. This is why they don't have them, you just buy on line or something.

I'm a car person and I hate dealerships too.
Pete

·
Registered
20 Posts
I love buying new cars. I HATE the process. I think I've actually become pretty good at doing it, but still have a distaste for the process. Awful, in most cases. I usually have to get up and walk away before the 'funky business' stops. Shameful. Now, having said that, the Giulia purchase a year ago was actually not that bad. Perhaps it was because I had purchased 2 Jeeps from the dealer in the past 5 years.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
I've noticed people look at me in my Giulia Q4 like they did when I drove a Porch. Like I'm a d$^k or something. To intimidated to say anything. Now in the Berlina or GTV folks are more that happy to engage.
Might just be a Texas thing......:wink2:

·
Premium Member
9,676 Posts
In 2013, when my wife was ill with COPD, I needed a sports car with great air conditioning so that she could join in Alfa Club events. None of my '60s Alfas were capable, so I chose what I called my "air cooled Alfa"....this 1992 Porsche 964. Did the job well.

Now that I am single, needed a dependable Chick Magnet.
A new Alfa just woun't cut it!!
That works but I have lots of chicks looking at me in my alfa. I think you would have done well with either one but you know, it all depends on the driver. ;)

Dealers stink, all of them. Can't stand dealing with most sales people and all the BS they spew, same with service and management. My next car is a Tesla to replace our Diesel Touareg. I don't like dealers for service or anything else. Especially after the warranty. Would be great if Alfa just outsourced their service to independents.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Not sure why so many assume that I bought new from a pcar dealer.......My Boxie is a 2017 with 8,000 miles. Saw on CarMax on line on their Sacramento lot. They shipped it to their Costa Mesa location for my inspection and test drive.
This was one of the easiest car purchases that I have ever had. Car is as described, fixed price was VERY GOOD, 7 day no questions return, I took it to the Porsche dealer for a small recall fix and an inspection.....perfect, 90 day CarMax warranty and the balance of the 4 year Porsche warranty. They even did the 2 year service with Porsche parts!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,676 Posts
Not sure why so many assume that I bought new from a pcar dealer.......My Boxie is a 2017 with 8,000 miles. Saw on CarMax on line on their Sacramento lot. They shipped it to their Costa Mesa location for my inspection and test drive.
This was one of the easiest car purchases that I have ever had. Car is as described, fixed price was VERY GOOD, 7 day no questions return, I took it to the Porsche dealer for a small recall fix and an inspection.....perfect, 30 day CarMax warranty and the balance of the 4 year Porsche warranty. They even did the 2 year service with Porsche parts!!
I never assume and I never buy new. ;) Nice car. Won't work for me until full mid-life crisis mode. Can't fit kid in there. ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
There's a few dealerships in NYC that have come to the same end, but at least there's others nearby. Lack of dealers (and/or bad service) may well bring them down. But then again, there's not that many Jaguar (or Volvo) dealers around and they seem to be doing OK...
The local Alfa Romeo dealer here scoffs at working on any Alfa made before 2016. Yes, 2016. I hear the same deal from countless Alfa Romeo dealerships in the states. They can't expect a lot of sales with that attitude...

·
Supporting Vendor
4,333 Posts
The local Alfa Romeo dealer here scoffs at working on any Alfa made before 2016. Yes, 2016. I hear the same deal from countless Alfa Romeo dealerships in the states. They can't expect a lot of sales with that attitude...
Alfa dealers in the USA are actually prohibited from working on any earlier Alfas. While this may seem shocking, the reasoning is pretty sound. Out of all of the current Alfa dealerships in the country, I think only 3 are "legacy" dealerships that sold Alfas prior to them leaving the country in 1995.

In reality the dealership technicians aren't trained on any of the earlier cars, nor does the current parts distribution network have any parts or technical information for the earlier cars. These operations are set up to service new and in-warranty cars, not to service or restore vintage vehicles.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
There are a few exceptions, maybe unofficial exceptions, but the Alfa/Maserati dealership where we bought Steph's Stelvio had a Bi-Turbo Coupe (I have a 430i) in the bay when I was there once, I had a good conversation with their service lady, she was happy to show me the car and give me the details, said they had one technician who likes to work on the older stuff so they take them in from time to time. I figure if they are working a Bi-Turbo, they will work on the older Alfas.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I think there's enough independent Alfa shops that there should really be no need to bring an old Alfa to a current dealer in the USA. Heck, when I had my 325i, I brought it to indy shop here in Long Island, not the dealer.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I think there's enough independent Alfa shops that there should really be no need to bring an old Alfa to a current dealer in the USA. Heck, when I had my 325i, I brought it to indy shop here in Long Island, not the dealer.
I agree. Why would you NOT want experienced hands on your vintage or 1990's Alfa? I sure wouldn't want somebody with an ASE patch on their shirt sleeve, knowing nothing about a GTV 6, working on ours!

·
Premium Member
15,417 Posts
Related to the now agreed upon merger of Fiat/Chrysler and Peugeot, read today in the paper that a Fiat spokesman said they are developing new sales plans for the Alfa and Maserati products. He said that they plan to drop some slow selling models they've had trouble making money on, and pull out of some areas.

I wonder, will this include the USA?

·
Registered
683 Posts
The plan includes B-SUV (I think based on FIAT Panda) and C-SUV Tonale (based on FIAT Grande Punto/Opel Corsa/FIAT Doblo, etc..)
No sports cars, no E-SUV, no plug-in hybrids, no electricity.

They decided to develop Maserati instead of Alfa. Maserati will get 3 sports cars, new SUVs, and new Ghibli/Quattroporte, electricity and level 3 autonomy

Sent from my Z957 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
769 Posts

·
9,923 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Bluto

Wasn't it John Belushi who announced " It's not over till we say it's over" , went on to say " when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor, .....

Humor from days past

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #160 (Edited)
FCA was never really looking to go all the way with Alfa Romeo. They were just looking to put lipstick (Alfa Romeo) on a pig (FCA) and unload it to someone else. No one has been foolish enough to fall for it. Game over.

141 - 160 of 217 Posts