Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How bad is it to put a glued-on dash onto a 69 gtv if the original is in utter disrepair? i'm looking at this one car from someone I know whose willing to sell it to me for about $6,000. Everything else on the car is beautiful (i.e. no rust, good chrome, good mechanics, nice paint, etc.). opinions?

·
Registered
288 Posts
It makes them look a lot better

if the dash is trash, by all means, glue on a cover. its not like you are ruining a good dash. Just Dashes can always fix your original dash for $$$ but the glue-on cover is certainly better than a tore up old dash. Go for it.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
A good majority of Spiders have dash caps. IMO it does not take away from the car's looks at all. But rather enhances it. Much better to cover up a torn up or cracked dash until the day you can afford to repair it properly.

Here's a picture of my former Spider's dash.

Attachments

·
Registered
990 Posts
I have to agree with the two responses.
A dash cap is better than a torn up dash.
The caps I have seen dont look great, but
its better than nothing. You could also
have a custom dash cover made for pretty
cheap(the one's made of carpet).

I got an estimate from Just Dashes for $550
to recover my 71 GTV dash, which is the
same as your 69.

Be carefull when ordering a cover, I have
seen many places sell them as fitting 69-74
GTV, but in 72 the dash changed.

Also $6K for a nice GTV is a bargain, go for it!!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. I thought it was a deal too, but just wanted to bounce the idea off some other people. Now to find the $6,000 to buy the car!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Dash cap is the way to go. The important money should be spent on suspension upgrades, engine mods, exhaust enhansements. I have owned my GTV since 1980. It is only this year, with two minor splits in the dash radiating out from the ventilators that a whopping $39 for a plastic cap was outlayed. My priorities outlayed. Lowered competion springs, Koni shocks all round. Engine rebuild for 195hp, Stebro stainless exhaust,Momo Vega rims on Pirelli 6000, go for the ride , worry about the look later. The money was spent over 23 years of ownership and I still haven't been able to wipe the grin off my face. A die hard Alffista

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Just remember Rocketjosh to post pictures of your new GTV in the Photo Gallery!

Let's see your GTV cap10ed! :)

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dont be so sure 67GTV, I havn't bought it yet. We'll see what happens. One good thing is I just pulled down $3000 for an integra with nothing under the hood cuz it had been stolen from me and found later! who knew you could get that kind of money. On to the alfa buying , maybe i'l have to race you sometime.:D

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
A race sounds fun, but I don't think my 1600 would be too impressive. She scoots but I'm sure a 1750 would beat her.

Speaking of racing, while tooling around in my GTV the other night I saw a 325i taunting a motorcycle from stop light to stop light. Temptation got the better of me. As I approached the light they were stopped at, it turned green and the bike took off. Since I had a jump on the bimmer I squeezed between him and the bike and let 'er rip. This pissed off the bimmer and he was all over my tail. All I could see in my rear view mirror was headlights and a bimmer grill. I nearly red-lined each shift and managed to stay in front of the bimmer! The gen. would've been proud.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Anybody ever seen the hard plastic repro dashes that IAP sells for Spiders?

Off topic, but with the pic of the Spider cap, I had to ask.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts