Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
THE ED WACHS RHD GTA, AKA 72BS15,

I have posted this in the Trans Am thread where there is more discussion to be found on the last and penultimate pages and earlier on page 36. I thought it might be of interest here also.

I have been co-responding with Keith Goring about the three 1967 Kwech/Winkler Tri Colour GTAs and the subject of the 1968 RHD Kwech/Knaus GTAs came up. I knew there was the RHD Green #18 that Kwech drove in a few races that was then taken over by Harry Theodorocoupolis. I had heard that there had been two built for 1968 from bodies in white but Horst Kwech said at a meet in 2012 (The concourse of America at which I showed 752507) that there was only one built. The Green RHD seems unknown after Harry T.

So Keith told me yesterday that he interviewed Bill Knaus at his office in November 2016 and Bill said there where two racers built for 1968 from "Body in White" and that he remembered the two big crates they arrived in sitting outside the "old" Knaus shop. They were built into the Green Kwech/Harry T RHD GTA and the Orange RHD Wachs GTA. Given other facts, this makes more sense to me.

I know little of the bodies in white. The parts book shows 2 versions with 3 types in each. The 2 versions are "BODY, cellulosed and trimmed" (shown with glass and Chrome) and "BODY, untrimmed and uncellulosed". Each have 3 choises, "for GTA LHD; optional for GTA; and for GTA RHD". I do not think the GTAj body in white if there ever was such a thing was available in late 1967 or early 1968 when these builds must have taken place. The Wachs Trans Am car is known to be LHD converted to RHD. No serial number has ever been confirmed and no forward trunk rain gutter stamping has been found to date. Winkler and Kwech wrecked 2 RHD GTAs in 1967 so RHD parts were available for a RHD build from a Body in White.

Ed Wachs 1968, used #9,12,8,71

DSCN2024.JPG

Ed Wachs in 1969, #12

Wol8 MI 69 Wachs #12.jpg

Ed Wachs 1970 #1, new roll cage

Wachs #1 at Rd Am 1970 Allegeretta.JPG

Ed Wachs 1971 #6, now orange/black/yellow

Wachs 6 at Nelson Leges SCCA 1971 JW10001.jpg

Ed Wachs 1972, #6, issued SCCA Brass Tag 72BS15 at Lime Rock

Wachs #6 and Theiot #33 At Riverside 1972.jpg

THE LINAGE
1968-72 Ed Wachs, orange, oange black yellow, various race numbers, built fro "Body in White"
c. 1975 at BOBCOR Buffalo, sold to Ramon Bergamon, Quebec
c. 1975-77 Ramon Bergamon, red, sold to Dick Barwell, Vancouver
c. 1978-c. 1982 Dick Barwell, red to yellow, sold to Jim Brown, Washington state
c. 1983-1985 Jim Brown, yellow
c. 1986-? John Murphy, yellow, bought from Broker Tim Ritter through another Broker out of a divorce
c. ? to present Niel Hadfield, yellow then red, bought from John Murphy estate.

So now the provenance of the RHD Wachs Trans Am GTA is better understood I believe.

An era to explore is the time at BOBCOR Buffalo. In Feb 1975 at least 2 GTAs were for sale at BOBCOR as reported to me by John DeMaria. Demaria puchased the well known RHD GTA #25 752507 and told me the other one was sold latter to Ramon Bergamon of Quebec. By that time 752507 was in wide body and sold with 1300 GTAj engine as told by Demaria or his partner Jeff Bateman. (Bob Cozza told me no but I tend to accept what Bateman said ). I believe Bergamon sold the Wachs GTA in wide body to Barwell, so I guess BOBCOR sold it to Bergamon as wide body with 1300 GTAj engine. After 1972 the Alfa GTAs were no longer competitive in B-Sedan so some were converted to C-Sedan spec. So I think BOBCOR was keeping these old racers alive and profiting by converting to C- Sedan spec. As to when, why and how the Wachs GTA got to BOBCOR remains to be determined.

There are also race results out there to find such as SCCA club events under Wachs and races events in Canada east and west under Bergamon and Barwell and race events under Jim Brown in the USA Pacific Northwest. John Murphy used her for Vintage Races a few times I understand as does Niel Hadfield.

regards

Ken

·
Premium Member
21,458 Posts
Can you ID the track in the first pic above, car carrying #71? Looks to be the western US but I don't recognize the surroundings. Colorado?
Andrew

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you ID the track in the first pic above, car carrying #71? Looks to be the western US but I don't recognize the surroundings. Colorado?
Andrew
Sorry Andrew my records do not tell were or when that picture was taken. The only western track I have Wachs at in 1968 is Kent where he placed 1st U2 but wearing #9. First photo, Wachs getting ready for the victory lap at Kent TA 1968. Not sure if the second photo is at Kent and not sure which LHD GTA or driver in the dark coloured (green) car; if at Kent could be Provenzano as he is only other GTA listed in results for that race but his usual ride was red I believe. Wachs did appear at War Bonnet TA in Oklahoma in 1978 and I have no number listed for him for that event.

edwachsingta68-1.jpg
Wachs  No9 RHD 68.jpg

·
Premium Member
21,458 Posts
The mountains in the background look like SoCal, sort of like at Riverside, but the foreground, right at the outside of the track, looks like bare rock outcropping, which would be Colorado, Utah, somewhere like that. I can't think of a Calif track that had such geography/hazards right on the course. Maybe Continental Divide or somewhere around there?
Thanks, I wish I knew more.
Andrew

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The mountains in the background look like SoCal, sort of like at Riverside, but the foreground, right at the outside of the track, looks like bare rock outcropping, which would be Colorado, Utah, somewhere like that. I can't think of a Calif track that had such geography/hazards right on the course. Maybe Continental Divide or somewhere around there?
Thanks, I wish I knew more.
Andrew
Any chance those road side "rocks" are some kind of weird hay bales?

Here is Wachs pictured at Riverside on a poster for a 1969 event. The picture is presumed taken in 1968 when Wachs was at Riverside for the ARRC runoffs. See 2nd race third photo. The 1969 advert indicates the car did enough SCCA regionals (in 1968) to be a divisional Champ, I guess in Chicago area. I guess his leg recovered and he raced on with that GTA at least until the end of the 1972 Trans Am series.

Copy of DSCN2729.JPG
Wach GTA CP&A 160869.JPG
68-res-1.jpg

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just found this old post by Jim Weber aka Weberoni ex of ARI USA.

"Keith, If memory serves me correctly, Harry's car does not have a serial number. It is one of two that were constructed by Ausca from the bodies ordered from ARI. I last saw the car in John Murphy's ownership. He had asked me about the car. You might check with Tim Ritter to see what happened... "

at

So this is another piece of evidence that Ausca/Knaus built 2 GTAs for 1968 from Bodies ordered from ARI so called "Bodies in White" But I think that the 2 cars looked alike and that Mr Weber erred in that he was looking at the ex Wachs car and not the ex Harry T car. The Harry T cars fate is not known with any certainty as far as I know.

ciao

Ken

1 - 7 of 7 Posts