Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something crazy just happened. I won first place in the foreign car class today at the Memorial Day car show in Old Lyme, Connecticut.

The rest of the story: It's people's choice, so the awards are chosen by ballot. Because of a godawful downpour, there were only three cars in the class. Besides me, there was a very nice 1950 Citroen (which has won before) and a BMW 3.0 CSi. I got three votes. One of those was mine, another from a guy with an old Chevy pickup truck I spent the morning chatting to who also won his class--he was the only one in it. So somewhere along the way I picked up another vote.

Anyone that's seen my car knows that it's fairly nice, but not a class winner by far. I drive it every warm dry day, so the dirty engine, chips, dings, and scratches just aren't going to measure up against the guys that meticulously detail every square millimeter of the car. But those guys didn't show up today, and I came home with a trophy. I kind of feel guilty . . . :)

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
No need to feel guilty. You showed up with a really cool car! Many years ago I won a 2 mile foot race because all the serious local runners were across the river at a 10K. I still show off the trophy cup to my kids. :)

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's the line-up for the Foreign Cars pre-1986 class. The BMW on the far left didn't show up until the rain stopped, by which time the judging had ended. That old Chevy pickup in the background was the one I mentioned earlier, first place in its class/only one in its class. This field is normally filled with cars. (The photo is a little strange looking because it's shot through an infrared filter.) That thing leaning on my bumper is the trophy.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Good going Bob:)
I have a first in class award also even though there was a beautiful Jr Z in the class. Voters choice can be a funny thing. I still show the award to anyone who will look.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Good going Bob:)
I have a first in class award also even though there was a beautiful Jr Z in the class. Voters choice can be a funny thing. I still show the award to anyone who will look.
Hey Steve -
Was it a blue one??? :D

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
That was probably Bruce's, who is at least an occasional contributor on the bb. He has a beauti-mous 1600 Zagato. How a 78 Spider would be selected as "people's choice" over his car is beyond me....but then again....my papa told me "there is no accounting for taste" :p:D:p:D

·
Registered
244 Posts
So the photo is done on a digital camera with a filter?
My former Wife used to shoot a lot of infrared film with a dark bag and the whole bit.
kind of cool effects.

congrats on the trophy.

T

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
You are correct Gordy it was Bruce's:). Bruce and I decided the the only reason he didn't win was that the muscle car group thought his Jr Z was a Saab:eek::eek::eek:.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
I won an autocross once because the Spitfire with the 13B rotary engine in it that was kicking my butt blew up like a handgrenade and didn't finish all his runs. Now I know what Dan Wheldon feels like except without all the money. Yeah I still have the trophy. Point is, it's your win! Enjoy it.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I don't know how common it is for digital cameras to be sensitive to IR, but you can test by pointing something like a TV remote at the lens, and if you can see it flashing through the viewfinder, your camera will see IR. I put a true IR filter on it (meaning completely opaque to visible light). I was interested in IR film but never spent much time trying it because 1) the film is a bit pricey, 2) finding a place to develop it safely can be a little tough; but mostly 3) you're shooting blind, and never know what you're going to end up with until the prints are developed. With the digital you can see what you're doing while you do it. And you can shoot color IR as well; I've attached here a color shot that I finagled a bit with the colors and mildly posterized. I don't really like the color IR as much, but once in a while it's fun.

So the photo is done on a digital camera with a filter?
My former Wife used to shoot a lot of infrared film with a dark bag and the whole bit.
kind of cool effects.

congrats on the trophy.

T

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
Congragulations!!! Cool car, like the color. I went to the Shelburne Museum Auto show in 2000. Brought my very original Montreal. It was moldy, dirty, dusty and cobwebs inside. Was in the European Class over 4 cyc. The cars I was placed with were emaculate. Austins and Jags etc... I won and it didn't go over well. This was my last car show.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
You have shown the rest of us "drivers" a path forward for a blue ribbon . . . . patience, and rain or snow. But it might need to be the ONLY car if it were a "homely" little Super. I will watch the weather report scrupulously. Congrats!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think this is a double - maybe triple - win. 1) You have a trophy 2) You have a great story and 3) You actually get to drive your car (and not go crazy when lint lands on it)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts