Alfa Romeo Forums banner
901 - 919 of 919 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello to you all.
And a merry Christmas and a happy new year, to you all. With a hope that we concur corvid 19 in 2021
I found some new pictures, or at least pictures I don’t remember to have seen before. They are from Le Mans 1958 and 1960. With #01944 driven by Ubezzi. And the # 03249 that had a huge accident in 1958, driven by Lauge and Herbert
All o these are from the Motor Sport archives (LAT).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello all of you, dear Greg,
It's a long time that my friend Antoine Kohler (founder of the Registre Suisse Alfa Romeo 40 years ago...) and me search the SVZ 2488 (ex-Jean-Pierre Schild, Geneva). After the sales in 1990 in Paris (from Rosso-Bianco collection), it was impossible to know where is this car ! But last year, after a conversation with "Tipo 160", we have a great suspicion that 2488 is in France. We have do a long 'work with all of our documentation (Antoine Kohler has do a little book for the story of the SVZ in Switzerland, particularly 2488). For that, we have more photos and papers and Tipo 160 too. In december I were at Geneva to the office for the immatriculation and I've bought the papers (homologation for example) for justificate all the theorie we have.
Reality is now I've propose this incredible SVZ to a great collectionneur in Switzerland and he has immediately bought this Giulietta.
The car isn't in good condition and now the decision is : Total Restauration !!
Here I post some photos before 2488 see go out of the garage with a trail.
(Sorry for my bad english...)
Yves
View attachment 1666411
View attachment 1666412
View attachment 1666413
View attachment 1666414 View attachment 1666415

Amazing my friend Yves! Can't wait to see the final result!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
“These are photos from the Motor Sports (LAT) archives of SVZ 02158 driven by Jacques Rey & Georges Burggraf at the 1960 Coupe des Alpes, which they DNF'd.”

Sorry in dint remember where I got the pictures.

But a search at the Motor Sports picture library , don’t reveal any pictures of Jacques Rey & Georges Burggraf.

And the only picture i can find by using the whole search “SVZ 02158 driven by Jacques Rey & Georges Burggraf at the 1960 Coupe des Alpes” or part of it.

Is this picture from the Alpes.

So it would be pleasant by you, if you come up with a better reference, issue number and year – month when I was publish.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
“These are photos from the Motor Sports (LAT) archives of SVZ 02158 driven by Jacques Rey & Georges Burggraf at the 1960 Coupe des Alpes, which they DNF'd.”

Sorry in dint remember where I got the pictures.

But a search at the Motor Sports picture library , don’t reveal any pictures of Jacques Rey & Georges Burggraf.

And the only picture i can find by using the whole search “SVZ 02158 driven by Jacques Rey & Georges Burggraf at the 1960 Coupe des Alpes” or part of it.

Is this picture from the Alpes.

So it would be pleasant by you, if you come up with a better reference, issue number and year – month when I was publish.
A simple search with "Giulietta" and you have all the LAT/Motorsports images of the cars... The date and results of the 1960 Coupe des Alpes is easy to reference if you know how to make searches. The 1960 Coupe des Alpes was from 1960-06-26 to 06-30, and Jacques Rey & Georges Burggraf DNF'd... A hint: you can use the excellent ewrc site: Final results Critérium International de la Montagne - Coupe des Alpes 1960

·
Registered
46 Posts
Maybe we need some new pictures on this thread. From the excellent Firenze Torrini Studio Photographic archive, we have a rarity, the SVZ chassis 04069 then in the ownership Arnaldo & Mario Bongiasca at the 1959 Mille Miglia. Yes, the MM Still existed then and even was a Speed Competition in 1959, albeit with some places where speed was limited. It was opened only to GT and Turismo cars though, as the Sports category was deemed too dangerous because of the 1957 disaster. The Bongiasca brothers finished 6th overall and 2nd in theit GT 1300cc Class, just behind the legend Ada Pace and her SVZ 01849. Note their license place MI 419186 and I believe, a previously unseen front fascia of the car 1958 SVZ style... Back to the Torrini Studios, you can purchase this pic professionally printed and ready to frame for as low as 15 euros! 1959 07080 mille miglia auto alfa romeo | Torrini

View attachment 1681224

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
A former competitor on the Mille Miglia events before and after 1957 (Ada Pace, no less) told me that the road portion of the event was run as a time and distance rallye but that the rallye result was not calculated for the finish results. The rallye went from speed event to speed event at race tracks and closed-course hill-climb venues. She said it was every bit as speed-oriented as the original "1000 mile" open road event. In fact, there is the sense that the brief relax of the road driven miles between speed events might have made those events rather more intense than driving 1000 miles as quickly as possible without crashing or breaking something?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Thank you 33 stradale 67.

I followed your advice, and went through it once more with the search word Giulietta.

But I am sorry to say, I was unable to find the pictures that you referred to as they should come from Auto Sport.

There is a lot of picture of Giulietta SZ, maybe you have seen wrong on SZ and AVZ , I have done it a couple of time. Thera was a few SVZ in the Auto Sport archive. Bun from my memory they are all on this forum and tread. Primary from Le Mans and Taga Florio. 2 or 3 couild be from the Alpes.

But please continue to give us something from you knowledge and pictures collection of the SVZ

·
Registered
46 Posts
A former competitor on the Mille Miglia events before and after 1957 (Ada Pace, no less) told me that the road portion of the event was run as a time and distance rallye but that the rallye result was not calculated for the finish results. The rallye went from speed event to speed event at race tracks and closed-course hill-climb venues. She said it was every bit as speed-oriented as the original "1000 mile" open road event. In fact, there is the sense that the brief relax of the road driven miles between speed events might have made those events rather more intense than driving 1000 miles as quickly as possible without crashing or breaking something?
Hi John, The period magazines considered the new MM formula to the very competitive and grueling Tour de France Automobile... Ada Pace's comments to you seem to indicate that as well! Best. Chánh.
Thank you 33 stradale 67.

I followed your advice, and went through it once more with the search word Giulietta.

But I am sorry to say, I was unable to find the pictures that you referred to as they should come from Auto Sport.

There is a lot of picture of Giulietta SZ, maybe you have seen wrong on SZ and AVZ , I have done it a couple of time. Thera was a few SVZ in the Auto Sport archive. Bun from my memory they are all on this forum and tread. Primary from Le Mans and Taga Florio. 2 or 3 couild be from the Alpes.

But please continue to give us something from you knowledge and pictures collection of the SVZ
I think you need to refine your search skills as this screenshot proves that the SVZ is in the first page of the Motor Sport/LAT archive with the search word "Giulietta" (Screenshot, bottom left). Also it is very easy to distinguish SZ's from SVZ in their archives because one the SVZ's can be found before 1960, and second if they are shown after 1960, the SVZ are very much different, re longer wheelbase and distinctive shape than the SZ. About my pics of the SVZ, I might share a couple but I know a book from my friend Alain Delanoue (& Pascal Volant) is going to be launched soon and with new information and pictures so I don't really wish to steal their thunder...

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Those pictures is known to this tread, and they are found at the back of the link on page from 15 -18.

And those that you state is coming from the link, isn’t to find. If you still are of the opinion that the pictures i have posted if from Moor Sport, then please inform on witch page they can be found.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Those pictures is known to this tread, and they are found at the back of the link on page from 15 -18.

And those that you state is coming from the link, isn’t to find. If you still are of the opinion that the pictures i have posted if from Moor Sport, then please inform on witch page they can be found.
DID I say "Auto Sport"???? please read carefully...

·
Registered
46 Posts
And i asked you to give year an issue where they was posted. As it for me could be interesting to have that reference.
I am sorry but you seem to have some problems understanding... I have always said these pictures are in the MOTORSPORT archives. If you can't find them I won't help you, I've already told you where to find them before. I will NOT reply to any of your comments. A waste of time.

·
Administrator
4,383 Posts
OK Gents, this thread has now made it onto the Moderator's watch list..... both please step away from your keyboards for 5 minutes...

Grazie
Greig

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Everybody...
I had post some photos of SVZ 2488 (ex-Jean-Pierre Schild) some months ago... The restoration of this incredible SVZ is near the final. I must say, it was a great work for calculate (thanks Grégory for help...) how were the good position of the body Zagato 1 (Schild) vs Zagato 2 (Arbalétrier). Here are photos... The rest is coming when the car is finish...
Yves
Vehicle Car Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Registered
898 Posts
At least one shot from behind, please! Gorgeous car. I can appreciate the many hours of sweat spent to get it that far. Long journey. Good luck on its completion.

901 - 919 of 919 Posts