Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in 83, Alfa ran an a print ad campaign for the GTV6. The ad is as follows, and you can pick up originals on Ebay. They also had a matching poster that featured the same image and tag line. I may be able to get access to one, and was thinking of having copies made. The original poster is relatively large.

My question is would anyone else have interest in having a copy made and what cost would be reasonable? Also, any ideas on who could make the reproductions?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I've worked with local printers who are able to make good-quality posters using a digital Indigo press for not too much money. It's a much higher quality process than the typical photodigital prints (basically a photocopy) you'd expect to see, especially on some decent paper. I can't even begin to estimate, but I'd make a shot in the dark that $20 a pop wouldn't be too far off reality, given what my band pays for promo posters using photodigital.

I think their one concern might bee if the product is in any way protected by copyright or trademarks.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It probably is copyrighted. The ad copy should have said this:

The car your mechanic can test drive for the rest of his life

The Alfa Romeo GTV-6 is not one of those performance cars that you take to the country club. It is, instead, a car you’ll have to keep bringing back to the dealer for repairs. Because no matter how little you drive this car, it will keep on breaking down.

Every aspect of this Alfa was conceived to help keep the mechanics busy. From an aluminum alloy SOHC V-6 with that delivers blown headgaskets and skipped timing belts.

To a de Dion racing-type rear suspension system that maximizes vague shifting and worn-out synchronizers.

From the very first moment you experience this Alfa’s extraordinary balance between lack of rust proofing and poor build quality, you’ll know it will rarely leave your driveway. But with such a heightened sense of disgust and rage, you’ll never want to stop trying.

Test yourself against the extraordinary $18,000* Alfa Romeo GTV-6 at your nearest Alfa Romeo Dealer now before they leave the country.

* Mfr’s. suggested retail price at P.O.E. is $17,995. Actual cost to owners significantly higher when the warranty expires. Charged battery, functional windshield wipers, lukewarm air conditioning, melting speedometer gauges, and inevitable tow charges are extra.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I'd rather it say that. But that opens a whole new can of worms with the wife.

"No, sweetie, that's just heresay started by the Germans to kill off import competition. Alfas were actually the most reliable cars you could buy. What? No, that's not smoke, it's passion made visible by the joy of driving (or vice versa)."

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
That ad is great. It really says what makes these amazing cars so special,,, and addicting.
I want one !! [The poster,I mean, I already have a pile of GTV6s and drive them everyday !!]

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I'm with Heavy Metal on this one.

I paid $13,500.00 for my Silver GTV6 in 1983 off the showroom floor and I drove it fourteen years - my only transportation. I drove the living S*** out of that car. It lived above 4500 rpm. The speedo died at 93,000 miles but I drove it at least another four years. I will admit, every time I change the oil, I took the radiator out, removed the hydraulic belt tension and did a quick overhaul.
By 1983, the tensioner leak problem had been discovered. I bought ten rebuild kits with the car at $5.00 apiece. Still have two. I've still got a '83 GTV6 too.

Great Car for $13000 dollars.

I'LL TAKE A POSTER FOR TWENTY BUCKS.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
I'd take a poster if they can come out nice and are $20 or under. Would this be a normal poster size?

Kevin

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I will agree with the two above, bought my '86 GTV6 in 1995 with 110,000 miles and drove it as my everyday driver for about 5 years, only time is saw the dealer is when I let my first service go over by 5k miles (new to the Alfas then) and the water pump leaked, other than that, the alternator when out. When it turned over 200,000 miles I was doing 120 mph down I-20 about 10pm. When I lost my covered parking at work, I bought a Honda and kept the GTV6 in the garage at home and it became the weekend fun car! Still have it, won't ever get rid of it!

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
My question is would anyone else have interest in having a copy made and what cost would be reasonable? Also, any ideas on who could make the reproductions?

If we can get proof that it is not copyrighted or have permission to duplicate it and we find an unwrinkled example or a scanned jpeg , I have a 42" wide plotter that will handle it, cost would be under $20 for a 24"x36" copy. Shipping would be $3-5 in a tube, USA.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
[/QUOTE]If we can get proof that it is not copyrighted or have permission to duplicate it and we find an unwrinkled example or a scanned jpeg , I have a 42" wide plotter that will handle it, cost would be under $20 for a 24"x36" copy. Shipping would be $3-5 in a tube, USA.[/QUOTE]

Count me in, I would love to hang this in the garage!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I'd love one as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts