Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Great picture indeed, and nice looking car. I'm familiar with those bridges -- my dad lived in Albany (nearest big town) until his passing this February, and I'd go see one or more of the covered bridges most times when I came up to visit. Unfortunately always in a rental car rather than an Alfa (I have a '71 Giulia 1300 Super also), but those are wonderful Alfa roads. I love the engineering of the bridges; wood is a great structural material if you can keep it dry, and the builders did just that.

·
Registered
1971 Giulia 1300 Super
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here're a couple. Sorry, no Alfas.
Very nice! The Shimanek Bridge was on our tour as well and coincidentally, the only bridge that we forgot to grab a pic of😯...mind if I “borrow” yours😉? The roads in this area are a sports car/motorcycle paradise!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just for the ignorant among us, what is the purpose of a covered bridge? Apart from looking really quite lovely, what does the covering add that a bridge wouldn't normally have?

·
Registered
1971 Giulia 1300 Super
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just for the ignorant among us, what is the purpose of a covered bridge? Apart from looking really quite lovely, what does the covering add that a bridge wouldn't normally have?
The covered bridges were mostly built in the early 20th century and were constructed entirely of wood including the load bearing platform. The Willamette Valley in Oregon is known for its wet and rainy climate and the covering was to help prevent the wood planked roadway from rot. Oregonians have a saying...”we don‘t tan, we rust!”😉

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Yup, what @Markornot said -- these were built in a land of abundant wood and abundant rain. I believe most or all of the Linn county bridges have been restored within the last few decades, but they made it a long time prior.

Feel free to borrow the photos. I can also send you full res if you want -- PM me your email.

I also think this area would make for a great bicycle tour; mostly flat, little traffic, lots of great stopping and resting places. Here's one more photo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts