Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title was too good to pass up (for me), but here she is. 1991 164L... I am curious, does it look to anyone like it may have been lowered at some point? It doesn't appear to sit nearly as high as other 164s I have seen here.

We cruised / raced up Golden Gate canyon and then came down Coal Creek canyon yesterday, and had a ton of fun! It wasn't nearly as quick as my 6 series BMW, but I'm sure with a few tweaks she could keep up.

I'll go ahead and throw in a shot from nearly the same angle that shows just how close the tires are to the fender openings. They are stock sized tires too... I think it's a bit strange.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For good measure, here is the 6 series that shares a home with the Alfa. The 6 is by far my favorite car of all time, which is convenient because it was affordable and in excellent shape!

In the coming months she will be receiving a fresh cylinder head with a 284 cam, equal length shorty headers, a new exhaust system, re-covered manual Recaros, 245/45/16s out back to eliminate tramlining, and some other suspension goodies! Once that's done, she will be painted white and hopefully get some two piece 17" BBSs when tax refund time rolls around.

·
Registered
852 Posts
That BMW is nice... I really like those BMs from late 80s and early 90s, but at present they way over rated... atleast in my view....
Alfa doesnt seem to be lowered to me BTW... and wht happend to tht wiper :eek:
-Pavan.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yea nice Alfa Bro..BTW yeaa you tweak that Alfa with headers (cant really mess with intake or non of that Trust me I tried car did not like) but a good set of performance headers and the S cams and the Bimmer wont catch the Alfa!!!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
The title was too good to pass up (for me), but here she is. 1991 164L... I am curious, does it look to anyone like it may have been lowered at some point? It doesn't appear to sit nearly as high as other 164s I have seen here.

I'll go ahead and throw in a shot from nearly the same angle that shows just how close the tires are to the fender openings. They are stock sized tires too... I think it's a bit strange.

That is a very clean 164. Just look at those front wheels - someone has scrubbed them religiously. I note you have described it as 'black on black' in your signature, but it looks more 'black on grey' to me? Some 164s have the lower body in a very similar colour to the upper body (mine for example has two shades of metallic green), but most 164s (like the metallic black that I had before) have a grey (silver) lower body.

The suspension height looks normal - what I think is making the difference is that those tyres don't look standard-sized. Standard was 195/60/15, I think my car is 195/55/15, 205/50/15s were an option but I think your car has 205/60/15s. Ah well - easier than the METRIC tyres of the Beemer (?) ;)

It's a bold BMW that one - special, unlike all the four-cylinder early-90s tat on the roads in NZ (***-assembled 318s mostly). So - do you prefer rear-wheel-drive or front-wheel-drive, then?

However I still think the 164 is the more elegant of the two shapes. The proportions of the 164 seem exactly right to me - nothing is oversized or shrunken, the doors are in exactly the right places, even the door sill has a pleasing curve, and the glasshouse is a nice shape. Though, I must admit that the kick in the C-pillar (the shape of the rear door quarterlight) is a BMW design hallmark!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AlexGS, you may be right about the tire sizes, they are 195/65/15s, but I could have sworn that is the stock size... Either way I like the way she rides and handles, plus they are nearly new!

I LOVE my BMW, it's my second 6 series and it will be perfect when I am done. This one does not have metric tires anymore, it's got 225/50/16 Yokohama AVS ES100s on 16x8 BBSs now :cool:

And to answer your question, I prefer RWD by a huge margin, but the 164 has definitely opened my eyes a bit. For a daily driver I think FWD is fine, but if I were going to spend any serious money to improve performance, the car would have to be RWD!!

·
Premium Member
9,747 Posts
AlexGS, you may be right about the tire sizes, they are 195/65/15s, but I could have sworn that is the stock size... Either way I like the way she rides and handles, plus they are nearly new!

I LOVE my BMW, it's my second 6 series and it will be perfect when I am done. This one does not have metric tires anymore, it's got 225/50/16 Yokohama AVS ES100s on 16x8 BBSs now :cool:

And to answer your question, I prefer RWD by a huge margin, but the 164 has definitely opened my eyes a bit. For a daily driver I think FWD is fine, but if I were going to spend any serious money to improve performance, the car would have to be RWD!!
Nice cars. 164 does not look lowered IMO. Check the springs, are they all black in color? If so they are stock.
This car can really be made to fly and it flies already as is.
Some performance upgrades really help the car out. I would say that this is one of the best handling cars I have driven. FWD or RWD. There are nice things about both.
Enjoy the car. There are lots of things like chips (16hp) , cams(~5hp in an L motor) (have a set of S cams for sale) headers (10-14Hp) that would boost this thing to around ~215-220+hp from the 190Hp L., Chip alone brings you to 200Hp
But My first thing is always suspension and wheels tires to get the car planted even though very good stock.

Good luck with it. Should be a fine car.
Ciao!
JAson

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I've always liked the 6 sieries cars of that ear. 633 and 635 CSI's are fantastic! I've never owned one but drove a friends a few times back in the late eighties.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Enjoy the car. There are lots of things like chips (16hp) , cams(~5hp in an L motor) (have a set of S cams for sale) headers (10-14Hp) that would boost this thing to around ~215-220+hp from the 190Hp L., Chip alone brings you to 200Hp
But My first thing is always suspension and wheels tires to get the car planted even though very good stock.

Good luck with it. Should be a fine car.
Ciao!
JAson
You are making me feel my wallet is gonna burn soon again....:p, but anyway not anytime sooner though...

-Pavan.

·
Premium Member
9,747 Posts
You are making me feel my wallet is gonna burn soon again....:p, but anyway not anytime sooner though...

-Pavan.
LOL.
Not trying push just examples of what can be done.:)
Jason

1 - 13 of 13 Posts