Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a fire extinguisher, and had no idea how to get this thing strapped in. I was thinking of strapping it in fast and furious style, on the window frame (joking).

I could not find a place that carried fire ext. mounts. I'm also a dumbass when it comes to shopping for anything. Where do you find these mounts at? Oh, I went to a hardware store and that was a negative.

I decided to go custom. That's right C-U-S-T-O-M, made by: Sniady's Custom Crap.

I went to the camping section of Sports Challet, and purchased Velcro. 2 feet of female and 1 foot male. Came out to 19cents at the register (6 cents for a foot, I got ripped off for a penny, or was the tax a penny?).

Now the installation part.

Items needed:
Knife/Razor/Teeth - to cut 4 slits in youre carpet
Velcro - to strap in the sukka

Here are the pictures.

p.s. buy the installation kit from Sniady's Custom crap, for only 10 dollars.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Installed Behind Passengers Seat

Attachments

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I bolted the fixing bracket for mine to the access panel behind the pasenger seat.

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whats a fixing bracket and what does it look like? And where is the access panel?

·
Registered
241 Posts
VELCRO??

I hate to break the bad news to you, but I seriously doubt that VELCRO will get past tech. If you hit something at say, 10mph, the velcro isn't going to hold. I'd hate to think of where the fire bottle would end up if you rolled. It would turn into a weapon. There are metal brackets available.

I would, however like to see the look on the tech-inspector's face when he discovers the velcro.

Sorry, dude. Happy to help out with alternative ideas, though. Kinda busy at work right now, so more later.....

Brad

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HAHAHHAHA, Its actually the other way around. The Velcro does not want to let loose. I took it to a tech inspector, to ask him where I should put my harnesses. I asked him if my Fire Ext. would fly. He pulled it and it would not come loose. He was laughing (lets not say his name, I feel like a dumba$$).

I got the balls today, and drilled holes in my floor, to install the plastic braket that came with the extinguisher (it hurt bad, and still does, ouch). But it's in.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Speaking of drilling holes

I feel your pain! I am going to need to drill holes in my door to mount proper mirrors. That **** Talbot mirror way out on my fender is useless.

I've been wondering, can you prep the hole to prevent future rust? I've seen so many screws poking through sheet metal on my Alfas. It kills me to think that someone just drove those screws in.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
When you purchase a GTV mirror it should come with a rubber gasket. That should rust proof it.

If you ever have to bolt a hole in your floors (ex. Harnesses) You can put a rubber gasket and the washer and bolt on top, which I think should prevent water from getting in and creating rust.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Sniady said:
Whats a fixing bracket and what does it look like? And where is the access panel?
My fire extinguisher came with a mounting bracket that holds it round the main body & neck of the bottle - no velcro - Hard plastic bracket with clips.

The access panel I'm talking about is on the shelf behind the passenger seat of a spider. Its a 150x150mm panel that gives access to fuel pump relays & I think some of the rear light relays.

I fixed the bracket to this as it keeps it out of the front compartment & is secure. but can be lifted out very easily in an emergency. even with the access panel & bracket still attached to the extingusher, it can be used straight away.

I'll take some pictures & post them here later.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
What brand and what ratings?

I was going to buy the fire extinguisher in Costco today (2 for $20), but don't know which one I should get? And then I went to OSH and found out that there are even more options!

The www.fireadesource.com one seems pretty good too but at a higher price. It's designed for A-B class fires while the First Alert and Kidde are for B-C.
As far as I know, 12V fire (live or not) doesn't count as a Class C fire, is that correct?

Please help! I don't want to work on the SPICA pump wihout one of them next to me. :D

Should I mount it inside the car too? Would I look like a ricer??

:confused:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts