1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
If I'm doing the math right each piston is almost the equivalent to a Mopar 440ci :eek:

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Listening to that engine run made the hair stand up on the back of my neck! Did I understand they are going to run it at Goodwood next year? I may have to change my travel plans next year to include England.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I can't get either of OP's links to work. If you watch the video here and go to 0:44. you can see one of the pistons in the background. It's the size of a paint can! :scared:

28.5-litre Fiat starts for first time in 100 years - BBC Top Gear

I can't imagine how scary driving the Beast above 60mph would be, never mind north of 100mph. Drivers back in the 1910s had to have big brass ones!

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
...really.... chain drive and those skinny a*s tires ...I'll would take a pass driving one of those.... I'm a big sissy when it come to that

That guy starting it has a pair... if the timing is a hair off that crank could have sent that guy through the side of a barn. I kick started a old bike I had and forgot to dial back the mag and was thrown over the handle bars onto the front lawn (all 6'4" 225lbs) and that was only a 900cc

I can't imagine how scary driving the Beast above 60mph would be, never mind north of 100mph. Drivers back in the 1910s had to have big brass ones!

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
I wonder what those "glowing cinders" are that come flying out of the exhaust?

Looks like a steam locomotive....I've never even seen that on a B-17.

·
Registered
5,984 Posts
I wonder what those "glowing cinders" are that come flying out of the exhaust?
As a friend of mine quipped, this is obvious evidence of the owner keeping straw in the cylinders to keep it warm during the winter. You would have to see the number of old Alfa engines in my friend's collection of agricultural barns with such internal 'furnishing' to fully appreciate the joke ....

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
That thing smokes worse than a 1958 Saab I use to have.

·
Super Moderator
11,587 Posts
What an AMAZINGLY WONDERFUL machine!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ha! I never even knew this beast existed. I put this in the same category as the famous Moto Guzzi V8 - who else but an Italian engineer would have tried that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts