Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the 79 Sprint Veloce came out of winter storage today, it had been run and driven occasionally during the winter with no problemos. Today it started right up, as always, the alternator light glowed brightly until the engine was revved, went out, but not completely. All the way down the road it glowed slightly. Its done this before occasionally, but this seemed just a bit brighter and all the accessories were on the AC and fan, the radio the headlights etc on a 2 hour plus run.

The engine stuttered a couple times at speed towards the end of the run, I knew something was amiss, the turn signals were blinking slowly, they sped up when I started turning things off, like the headlights, left them off for the last 10 miles. Once in the driveway the car would not restart. Typical SPICA hot start problem, lots o' cranking but this time, the battery was down so it cranked but did not catch. The battery went further down after a couple of tries, the low fuel pressure light lit. I hooked up the charger and let the car cool for an hour. Started right up - but of course, the alternator light is still glowing slightly.

So, i wonder what's going on? Any ideas?

Here's the obvious check list:

Alternator new - replaced less than 3 years old
No visible loose connections on alternator
Alternator belt new and tight - turning at speed, but I'm gonna check that again
Test running in garage today, turned fan, headlights etc on, did not affect level of glow from the alternator light
Battery new - less than 2 years old, electrolyte full, terminals clean and tight
All accessible grounds, cleaned and tightened a year ago
And, its a super clean garage-kept car less that 53,000 original miles.

Thanks in advance,

8oclock

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Did you replace the voltage regulator with the alternator (or switched it to the internally regulated alternator)?
Other than that - I can't think of anything you left of the list, though I've had both batteries and alternators fail months after replacing them....

It IS always something!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So now, several hours later, start the car, no glow from alternator light, nada not in pitch black.

Jeez....

8oclock

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
wait for the battery to die again...or wait for alternator to get hot...and put an ammeter on it.

my money is with alternator.

and can you post some pics of the 'super clean garage-kept car less that 53,000 original miles'

Thanks

PS: and if is not a sealed batt, check fluid levels..

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have found on my car that if the battery is not well charged, driving the car with the headlights (and other things) on does not charge up the battery very well. Driving the car without headlights charges the battery well on my car.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK Here Are A Couple Pix

OK Here Are a Couple of Pix

Please, no posts about how awful the wheels are, yes they are trick, it was done by previous California owner, I have the original butt ugly Campys, and it corners like a gokart.

8oclock

wait for the battery to die again...or wait for alternator to get hot...and put an ammeter on it.

my money is with alternator.

and can you post some pics of the 'super clean garage-kept car less that 53,000 original miles'

Thanks

PS: and if is not a sealed batt, check fluid levels..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
very nice!

actually, the 5 spoke wheels are a good look, but just a little too big.....

Is that original paint?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Bad *** car! The original 45 amp alternators are just not enough. Xray is right, change to an 80 amp unit. I will be installing a 115 amp unit I snagged from an Alfa 164. The problem I always have with Alfettas is that the starter doesn't work after it gets hot. I always look to park on a slope so I can bump start her incase the starter doesn't work. It happened to me when I went to meet xray in Ohio and met him in a parking lot. TALK ABOUT EMBARRASING! I will be buying a starter heat blanket for the starter from JC Whitney. I hope that works.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For hot start problems, you might want to try installing a relay in the starter circuit. I had it done on the Alfetta, never a problem with starter engaging when the car is hot again. See the post at this url for some detail, not an Alfetta but still give you the idea.

8oclock

Adding a Starter Relay to an Alfa Milano

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
For hot start problems, you might want to try installing a relay in the starter circuit. I had it done on the Alfetta, never a problem with starter engaging when the car is hot again. See the post at this url for some detail, not an Alfetta but still give you the idea.
+1 - that was the only fix that solved that problem on my Alfetta after replacing E V E R Y T H I N G else! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, and I have the same problem now with the 3 cylinder diesel on my sailboat. Should have learned, I replaced the solenoid, cheap and accessible, but I still have the hot no crank problem......going to run larger gauge wire from switch to solenoid next.

8oclock

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Very nice! I have a 79' that looks just like it. And I like the wheels myself. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts