Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been lurking while I plan my Alfa project, so I think this is my first post? Anyways I know more about this topic than Alfas so maybe I can finally contribute something useful.

This new forum is built on XenForo, and I'm guessing the old one was vBulletin. These are boilerplate libraries that allow a site like Alfabb to stand up a forum without (much) coding. 100s of thousands of forums use them, so whoever migrated the site didn't choose the new features. It's a manufactured home, you just get to choose the color.

I know XenForo has some benefits on mobile, etc. But it was probably chosen because the codebase is cleaner and easier to hire engineers for. I'm guessing Alfabb got bought by a company that already runs other forums on XenForo, and maintaining two different libraries is usually a non-starter. And these things do have to be actively maintained.

Not that it answers for the UX/features people hate. Just seems like there might be some comfort in knowing that the nerds you might be angry at probably don't know that Alfabb exists.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
LOL. As a "Premium Member" I just saw an advertisement for car rentals (in Italian), (interspersed as a normal post), along with regular member postings.

I've been in Naples and Rome the past few days, so it might appear that our wizard coders have figured out how to target advertisements to Premium Members, but not how to allow us to go back and revise technical data and information in stickies, downloadables, technical guides, etc.

Just an observation.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
LOL. As a "Premium Member" I just saw an advertisement for car rentals (in Italian), (interspersed as a normal post), along with regular member postings.

I've been in Naples and Rome the past few days, so it might appear that our wizard coders have figured out how to target advertisements to Premium Members, but not how to allow us to go back and revise technical data and information in stickies, downloadables, technical guides, etc.

Just an observation.
It's definitely tracking and acting on your current location; I purposely removed location from my profile and it inserted the US flag onto the profile snippet we see next to each post.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Thanks AlfaBB

I usually spend about 1 hour a morning here on the AlfaBB Forum,,but now only about 5 minutes.
Previously,, you could see new threads,,,but now you have to go INTO each topic and see if there ARE any new threads.etc etc etc

Shame,,as I really enjoyed this site,,but at least I can go to the beach and spend better time there now.
My previous posts about this subject have been removed.
Was enjoyable helping others with problems with their Alfas with my experience of over 35 years with these cars,,but now not enjoyable with this new layout,which actually hurts my eyes.
AlfaBB,,thanks for the many great enjoyable years you gave me on this forum for over 1 hour a day,
5 minutes is enough now
Will visit again in a few days,,for 5 minutes and see if I can enjoy and navigate this new Version

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Oh,,and another thing
My location of SYDNEY AUSTRALIA has been removed from my Threads.
That's more annoying now.
I see everyones Location has been removed.
It helped with answering questions from Alfa BB members
In the last few days of not spending much time on this site,,it gave me the opportunity to look at my NOS 105 parts.
Found 3 NOS wiper motors
2 NOS indicator headlight switches
A few NOS 1750 Tailight lenses
3 NOS LH 1750 arm rests
1 NOS RH 1750 arm rest
A few sets of NOS front headlights and high beams
A few sets of Front indicator and indicator repeater lights for many 105 series Models
2 NOS 2 litre lower sump plates
And that's all from 1 drawer
Another 20 + drawers to open

·
Registered
333 Posts
To be completely honest, a barely find the time to drive my alfa let alone negotiate a new site. I will look back on the old days with fondness. (change is inevitable but not always great) Night night

·
Administrator
16,453 Posts
Previously,, you could see new threads,,,but now you have to go INTO each topic and see if there ARE any new threads.
Top right corner - click the icon that says 'NEW'. Save that as your bookmark to the AlfaBB and you'll go right there when you click your bookmark.

Next to the 'NEW' icon are some horizontal bars. Click that to see the list of all the forum sections.

And (though you didn't ask), click on the mini-avatar to find 'Conversations' - the new name for Private Messages.

My location of SYDNEY AUSTRALIA has been removed from my Threads.
Click on the mini-avatar and update your Profile.

·
Premium Member
15,437 Posts
Icons, icons, icons. Why can't they just use real words? Do the coders figure that newer users cannot read anymore? Just artsy f*rtsy techie stuff. The new to the forum user would have to already know what the icon means, which of course he doesn't. Has to find out ahead of time from someone else, whereas if a word was used instead of the icon, as with the older BB, he would know immediately. Jeez. Clearly not as efficient.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Perhaps it is time for someone to create "RIPAlfaBB.com"? Can't promise I'll like it any better … unless coding engineers are hired who have passion and ability without arrogance. At this moment, I believe it is likely I will take my efforts to share a small portion of Alfa Romeo history elsewhere. If only there were enough hours in a lifetime to become somewhat fluent in segments of history AND try to figure out what a 20-something year old (or younger?) can possibly know about "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!". That point stated, it is not as if I've had no frustrations with AlfaBB from the very start of my experience with it. However, the way my associated image has been edited will force me to either change it or remove it. It is no longer an icon I recognize as my choice. WRONG!

The link I used to log on to AlfaBB for a number of years no longer works. I can fix that now that I know why. BUT … Why should I have to? Thank you to Ruedi (a moderator) for informing me of the change that made my log-in attempts result in an unhelpful "Oops!" message. I waited, thinking at first that the site was down for maintenance. An "Oops" (moment) was repeated more than once for some 30 hours, perhaps because I've already lost some interest in AlfaBB and did not check farther via other search engines? Eventually, I asked Ruedi, who informed me of the change in software. No wonder! Changes in software rarely affect all equally. Do software engineers actually care about that evident fact? It seems they do not. It seems likely I will take my sand out of this sandbox. Not many will care about that, unfortunately. I have learned from some others here, but I think (I hope!) we will find each other elsewhere?

John

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Icons, icons, icons. Why can't they just use real words? Do the coders figure that newer users cannot read anymore? Just artsy f*rtsy techie stuff. The new to the forum user would have to already know what the icon means, which of course he doesn't. Has to find out ahead of time from someone else, whereas if a word was used instead of the icon, as with the older BB, he would know immediately. Jeez. Clearly not as efficient.
An icon can be a "word ". Some written languages have used only icons. Indeed, at one level letters are icons, for sounds. English written words are notorious for misleading letters because several letters, and all vowels, can stand for various sounds. My point is an English speaker cannot legitimately complain about having to memorize a few icons here and there. The correct criticism is the design of icons that are unsuitable to purpose. The five icons chosen here are pretty logical. One use should be sufficient to reveal their function. I'm particularly amused by the thought bubble icon to represent a quote especially when it sits right beside the icon "+......

·
Premium Member
15,437 Posts
A word is understood immediately if that language is normally used by the site visitor, whereas an Icon has to be identified/translated first to find out what meaning, process, or site it represents. Why do you think the human race moved away from icon based languages such as ancient Egyptian, Sanskrit, Mayan, or worst of all the Inca strings?

As I said, my experience from my engineering career is that coders very often do not pay attention to or don't understand what the eventual user either understands or wants. The result is that this can cost the user and company time and money through the coders indifference. Proven industrial malady. Been there, suffered that.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
A word is understood immediately if that language is normally used by the site visitor, whereas an Icon has to be identified/translated first to find out what meaning, process, or site it represents. Why do you think the human race moved away from icon based languages such as ancient Egyptian, Sanskrit, Mayan, or worst of all the Inca strings?

As I said, my experience from my engineering career is that coders very often do not pay attention to or don't understand what the eventual user either understands or wants. The result is that this can cost the user and company time and money through the coders indifference. Proven industrial malady. Been there, suffered that.
Well, pictograms (the correct word for the current popular useage of icon) have actually been proved to be superior to words in many situations. Exit signs work better if they are green (associated with "go" and "ok" or "safe") and depict a person running in the appropriate direction. These pictograms are used as standard on aircraft instead of using the word "exit" ( which is both a noun and a transitive imperative verb which the brain has to process however minimally in order to understand) or the more logical "way out" (just a noun with one meaning indicating both a place and a function unambiguously) and one would need to know both words as an English speaker. In case you think the one is American and the other British you might visit Canada and discover either word in use. We are switching over to the much safer pictograms.

Traffic safety signs are better as pictograms also. Technically the brain interprets pictograms more quickly and accurately than words. You discover this when trying to drive using a foreign language that you understand but do not use regularly. Driving a rentacar on a recent French vacation I finally had to switch the language on the in car tom tom satnav from French to English in part because of this effect. I found I was subconsciously relying on the picture (map and associated pictograms) to accurately translate the French !

The icon used here to mean "quote" is commonly understood by users of current internet devices as encapsulating a text message so will be immediately and unambiguously understood by those users. That's what allowed me to access the function immediately. You don't routinely text? You should. Way better use of a phone than for actually speaking to someone.

I agree that the wrong pictogram is as useless as the wrong word as a button label.

·
Premium Member
15,437 Posts
Text? Can be too isolating, impersonal, and offputting/unfriendly. We always prefer to talk, as more can be felt, understood, and said via tone, inflection, and accent, etc. But that is beside the point. The use of icons, to the new potential user, is generally not obvious for the function it is connected to. Usage meaning most of the time comes only with time wasting investigation, in other words, you have to already know what it refers to. Been a few times while driving overseas where we see an unknown nonverbal sign, and we always ask, what the heck does THAT mean? Usually something obscure.

I'm done discussing the new BB.

·
Premium Member
9,696 Posts
I work on 3 websites just like this. It took me a little time to get use to it but in all reality it is much cleaner and easier to use, ONCE YOU FIGURE IT OUT.

Yes, I liked the old site too but what can you do? Go back in time? Yes you can but the site won't function right.

There are words on here not just icons. I remember when the BB changed after Simon sold it, lots of uproar, lots of people claiming to leave yet it's one of the most populated forums for Alfa.

Try to learn the new format. It's really very easy after some time with the initial confusion.

There are words and icons used. The Icon "new" is what I hit most the time.

The icon next to it takes you to the forums. The three dots are the site navigator or hit "full forum listing" at top right of page.

Normally I would join in the complaining but in all reality it's just new and folks just need to learn it. Websites tend to get out of date too, then start to function slower. Plus I am guessing Vertiscope wanted to streamline the look across all it's webpages it owns.

I suppose I can start a new forum??

Attachments

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Top right corner - click the icon that says 'NEW'. Save that as your bookmark to the AlfaBB and you'll go right there when you click your bookmark.

Next to the 'NEW' icon are some horizontal bars. Click that to see the list of all the forum sections.

And (though you didn't ask), click on the mini-avatar to find 'Conversations' - the new name for Private Messages.

Click on the mini-avatar and update your Profile.
It does not show the new under the sub forums . For example I only want to see what’s new in the Alfetta/GTV 6 section, it does not show that like it used to. Is there a way to get just what’s new on the sub forums we are interested in?

·
Administrator
16,453 Posts
Is there a way to get just what’s new on the sub forums we are interested in?
I'm not sure I understand what you used to see. On the prior system if I checked a sub forum I'd see a list of all the threads in chronological order - newest at the top. Same now. I don't recall being able to see just the new topics when checking a sub forum.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I'm not sure I understand what you used to see. On the prior system if I checked a sub forum I'd see a list of all the threads in chronological order - newest at the top. Same now. I don't recall being able to see just the new topics when checking a sub forum.
When you clicked on a sub forum, say Alfetta/GTV6 all unread updates were in bold, this is no longer the case.
Also on the main page we’re all the sub forums were listed unread topics were bold

·
Administrator
16,453 Posts
When you clicked on a sub forum, say Alfetta/GTV6 all unread updates were in bold, this is no longer the case.
Also on the main page we’re all the sub forums were listed unread topics were bold
I admit to being a tech-luddite but my pages have the 'read topics' in normal font and the 'unread' in bold.

What I see when I click the 'NEW' icon:

What I see when I go to a specific model forum:

·
Super Moderator
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Attention all BB Members

The change has happened, it's a big change and it has resulted in widespread unhappiness among many users. We moderators did not initiate these changes, were not consulted on them and we can't reverse the clock on any of the changes.

At present, multiple threads with multiple posts on multiple issues are going unanswered because the Verticalscope IT Administrators are only monitoring the following post for User/Member complaints and queries --> https://www.alfabb.com/threads/we-are-live-community-feedback.689346/#post-8492405

Accordingly, this particular complaint thread, together with all other complaint threads and any new complaint threads have been locked. Please post any complaints, queries and issues to the thread linked above, which is monitored by the Verticalscope IT staff who have the power and ability to fix things.

In the meantime, we moderators have created a "Tips & Tricks to survive the BB Migration" thread:
https://www.alfabb.com/threads/tip-tricks-to-survive-the-move-to-the-new-bb-software.689538/. All members with any tip, trick or POSITIVE suggestion on how to make navigation around the Nuovo BB easier and more user friendly can post it here. Please be aware that negative posts will be deleted and repeated complainers will be disciplined as is customary on the Alfa BB.

Sincerely

Your Moderators

81 - 100 of 100 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.