Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
.......we are privileged to have such a fantastic resource for our little Jewels........
Really? and who contributes to this resource?...Autoguide? hardly.......it's the members......that's who.....they could care less about us.....all they are after is the revenue....

.......I repeat: Autoguide owns the site, they pay the bills, so they call the shots ........
Good for them.......my membership will no longer be a paid one.......oops there goes more revenue.....now what? ......heck why bother with a BB at all....just flash up as much advertising as possible.....get rid of the old posts.......they take up too much space anyways!

....Thanks to them, we still have the BB as a resource...............
...actually...before these guys took over it was great site. Little by little they're deconstructing what it started out as.......I am very disappointed to say the least.

·
Out of the office!
11,260 Posts
Well, Greig, you might as well give me a LIFE suspension. I've given a hell of a lot more to this board than you have. If you want to make an "example" of me, be my guest.

Evidently, the programmers don't even know what they programmed. LOL. This from the FAQ section concerning edits:

You should be able to edit your post for up to 24 hours. Near the timestamp at the top of the post, you should see an edit link if it is within that time limit. After 24 hours you would need to reach out to a mod/admin for assistance.

The redesign could have been done using the same look, feel, and operable format, but it wasn't. That was intentional and excuses to the contrary are smoke.

John, the spray pattern of your machine gun fire is totally unwarranted. It's unfair to compare what you have given to the community with what another member has given. This is not a contest to see who is more valued. We all contribute in our own way and each contribution is as valuable as any other.

Please explain how getting angry with the volunteer Moderators and Admins and calling us lapdogs is going to change things for you and everybody else?

I get that you're ticked off about the migration. But, there is no reason for you to be this way with one of your fellow Alfisti.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Jeeze Louieeze..........Get over yourselves and stop whining.

·
Premium Member
13,150 Posts
Richard posted to my thread 79 Spider on the the Dyno - the Sequel about 15 minutes ago. When I first clicked on new it was the top post but a minute later it has disappeared from the new posts list. I went to the thread through the search function and his post is there so why does it not show up in new posts?

·
Registered
26 Posts
John your issue with not being able to edit your previous posts has been elevated up to the IT Forum Administrators twice, they are working on the problem, so far it seems it is only you who cannot edit your previous posts. It's a glitch somewhere and isn't aimed at you personally. We're aware of it and are the IT guys are working to fix it.

This change in the BB Forum wasn't aimed at you personally, it was driven by the old vBulletin underpinning of the original BB not being able to handle the recent rapid advancements in the Internet technology - the specifics are well beyond me, but it appears the old BB was built on very outdated technology - it was nearly 20 years old. Like any old stuff it was being patched behind the scenes with increasing frequency.

Your remarks about us moderators being lapdogs is both rude and uncalled for, we are 5 individuals who give of our time and effort free of charge to maintain the peace and sort out various issues. There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes. The IT stuff is handled by the BB Admin who work for Autoguide. If you'd made the same remarks on the old BB I'd have given you a 2 week all expenses paid vacation in Suspension Land no questions asked, however I understand your frustration, we, that is all 75000+ BB members , including your 5 overworked and unpaid moderators are on a learning curve. It was a 2 am stint for me yesterday trying to sort issues out. We, like you are also learning where the new functions are, raising issues with the IT support who are working through them as fast as they can. We didn't get an advanced peek at the format, it was rolled out to all of us at the same time.

Is it what you wanted to hear ?? Probably not, but this is the new-look BB, it's early days and there will still be changes going forward as all of us users make suggestions and some of these are implemented.

Lastly, you've been here a long time, about a year longer than me, our paths have crossed a few times and I was always impressed by your expertise. You are a well respected and very active contributor to the BB, you have helped countless Members and freely given of your time & expertise & we'd hate to loose a man of your caliber over an IT issue. Your past posts appear to all be safe and sound and with a little patience the IT crew will sort out the glitch and give you full access to your past posts.

I hope that you can consider this an apology from me on behalf of the BB IT department who have their hands rather full at the moment - however I'm on the case to get your particular problem sorted out and the 4 other Moderators are in full support. Should you wish to contact me privately, on the RHS top click on your Avatar and open conversations which are the old PM's. Be aware I'm 8+ hours ahead of US time

Ciao
Greig
This is not correct. I also can't edit older posts. I won't be able to edit new ones either, as there won't be any unless I am allowed to manage my content - beginning with all/any existing - old or otherwise.

·
Premium Member
15,437 Posts
"Jeeze Louieeze..........Get over yourselves and stop whining "

That's kind of uppity. If, in your work, the setups you use are modified or replaced by something less efficient, and more obscure and cumbersome, you would surely complain, wouldn't you? We have the absolute right to comment on changes which are viewed as less efficient and open in usage, plus the childish looking format. As an older longtime user and contributor, I find that if the system becomes less efficient, it will get used less, probably much less, at least by me. I do not like taking steps backward.

All that often, newer isn't necessarily better or user friendly. Tthis clearly is an example of that to a long time participant/user. If you like it, you are welcome to it.

·
Premium Member
13,150 Posts
OK, I get it. The filter defaults to only showing unread posts. I unchecked the box then clicked on Filter and the posts now show up. I suggest that there should be nothing filtered as default.

·
Premium Member
13,150 Posts
We all contribute in our own way and each contribution is as valuable as any other.
I have read some silly things but this one takes the biscuit.

·
Super Moderator
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
John I was in error about only you not being able to edit posts, it appears that the new format will only allow posters to edit a post for 24 hours, after this time has elapsed, the post is then 'locked' and you will have to request a Moderator or Administrator to edit it for you. This is something new with the new format which we have only found out now. We are currently taking this up with the Site Administration.

Folks, if you have specific queries or issues, please post/log them on THIS thread --> https://www.alfabb.com/threads/we-are-live-community-feedback.689346/#post-8492405

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
My point exactly. It shows how unaware Auto-whatever programmers are as to how the BB is actually used in practice, in addition to the demographics of the users. I, for one, am a just geezer probably in the minds of the 20 and 30 somethings writing this code and can't understand why we don't care about the fluffy, fake feel-good social media nonsense. I want something that is functional, direct, and easy to read and doesn't have a third of the page filled with pap. For an outfit that supposedly runs other similar platforms, it's laughable.

Maybe that's how Facebook is run. I don't know, because I use, as little as possible, "social media" data-mining scams.

The silence and soft pedaling from the Administrators is deafening. It just goes to reinforce the impression that we're being patted on the head.

Sadly, you're first post on the migration was ill-advised in the extreme, especially in tone and condescension. And my impression from your reaction and that of Osso has been to double-down against the justified criticism of the lousy format and function.

End of discussion with me.

·
Administrator
16,455 Posts
The silence and soft pedaling from the Administrators is deafening. It just goes to reinforce the impression that we're being patted on the head.
If you are referring to the Moderators (some of us are given the privileges of 'Administrator' so we can do more heavy duty moderating) please understand that we had nothing to do with or say about the change. We were given a few days notice it was coming but no ability to utilize the new system ahead of time or tools to learn how to use it. We're equally frustrated by most of it. Greig's initial post seems to have been misinterpreted - all our complaints are not going to change the fact this is the hand we've been dealt. We need to figure it out.

We're planning to put together a Tips & Tricks thread where we can share what we've figured out. Please be patient while we work on this.

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
When I first logged back in, there was an option to "take a tour" of the new site and function-ability. Perhaps that should be sticky'd next to the "new" for awhile.
I can't seem to find it after I took the tour.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Posted elsewhere by mistake......
The facts are in the putting. Me, the grumpy ole Uncle has had his say on the onset and he's still here. The upside is I can still read your posts in a timely fashion. It's not as easy as skimming a newspaper and choosing which column to read or pass over, yet I do have access to the news that interests me. Clicking is not as efficient as "skimming" with the eyes.but it is what it is and some learning to be most efficient will take some time. Moreover, on the upside, 1) My desktop icon clicks- to- open still works without signing in everytime ... I remain signed in .. even when the site is exited. 2) My Adblocker continues to do it's job without interference and I never see ANY ads that seem to pester folks and I DON'T pay for it nor any high falutin subscription upgrades (I never saw a purpose for that in the first place other than some badge on a profile and to pad the coffers of the management) 3) I've read all the posts over the carnage of this "upgrade" without missing a meal, a good cigar, and a ****tail.......In summary, life is too short to be grumpy over this. The world is full of grumpy events that require far more testosterone to solve. My message today to those who want to bail out of a perfectly good airplane is to deal with it and give it a chance before hitting the silk and the ripcord. I've made far more allies here than enemies..I THINK!... The BB has tied me to a a great group of people on the whole who I would never had met and without it i would have more time to biitch about the world events which make my stomach churn. I'd encourage those who will be missed to hang in there and give the mods a break. They are on our side. It's going to be okay. Uncle

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
I don't think even the current Alfabb Admin knew how the old site worked. When I asked about all my subfolders I had organized threads I was following, selling or threads with good tech advice into different subfolders with titles. They basically asked whats that went into how it works now. So if I want to find one of the threads from years ago I have to go through 96 pages of following threads. That is a very major flaw in the new system. As there is no way to organize them on this system.

At least Classic Alfa gave us a heads up on the date they were going to their new site. 2 weeks notice. So we could download our wish list and previous orders. The launch of this new site wasn't very well thought out.

·
Administrator
16,455 Posts
There was a notice about a month ago.

·
Registered
11,676 Posts
Baloney. I can't edit my old posts, for instance in the Technical Guides section.
Yes Roadtrip you appear to be correct. There must be a time limit for editing.

Pete

·
Out of the office!
11,260 Posts
My point exactly. It shows how unaware Auto-whatever programmers are as to how the BB is actually used in practice, in addition to the demographics of the users. I, for one, am a just geezer probably in the minds of the 20 and 30 somethings writing this code and can't understand why we don't care about the fluffy, fake feel-good social media nonsense. I want something that is functional, direct, and easy to read and doesn't have a third of the page filled with pap. For an outfit that supposedly runs other similar platforms, it's laughable.

Maybe that's how Facebook is run. I don't know, because I use, as little as possible, "social media" data-mining scams.

Sadly, you're first post on the migration was ill-advised in the extreme, especially in tone and condescension. And my impression from your reaction and that of Osso has been to double-down against the justified criticism of the lousy format and function.

End of discussion with me.
John, your posts are not criticisms. There is a proper way to critique and you're not doing it. What you are doing is complaining and that is never constructive. You have also bashed the staff members and volunteers of the BB.

From my perspective, you are out of control

61 - 80 of 100 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.