Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum made the same move. I lived on that site but rarely go on it anymore. The layout of the site is annoying. I hope this isn't going to be like that.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
These new pirates, that have control of the site now have evidently locked me out of my old postings and ability to change, replace, or remove any of the myriad of attachments, guides, etc that I have posted for BB members. Evidently they consider them THEIR private property now. They'll probably try to charge you to download my guides next, if they think they can get away with it.

It's a shame these people, supported by their lapdog moderators, are destroying a once great BB.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Ironically the Yahoo groups of which I was given a yellow card years ago and politely disengaged has gone through a transformation I am told and I had encouraged that fraternity to tie into the BB. Many were lurkers harvesting and not contributing. Too bad this new kettle is brewed because it won't be user friendly for even lurkers and they will be lost to their own little world.
Lets start with a positive idea.... COULD WE PLEASE. MOTHER MAY I, START WITH A HOME PAGE THAT LISTS ALL THE FORUMS RATHER THAN JUST THE "TOP FORUMS" OF THE DAY. Clicking on the teeny 'more forums" to get the bones of the whole enterprise will just be lost by 90 % of anyone who wears corrective eyewear.
This whole convoluted joke could have been executed by a group of eight year olds as a Junior Achievement project and the results would have worked just fine ... not a turn off. Most of us will trudge on and whine more .. Do ya think we will ever hear any fine tunes we recommend as being implemented? staying tuned.... U.

·
Registered
277 Posts
OK folks, the BB migration has happened, it's early days and there will still be some adjustments - Just live with it, this is a move by Autoguide to run a common underpinning for all their BB platforms, it simplifies their lives and reduces overheads. The site is owned and run by Autoguide, so they call the shots !! Capiche !!

The Moderators just keep the member side of things running smoothly, we don't have access to the Tech stuff in the background, so don't shoot us and more importantly don't shoot the Autotech BB Support, we are privileged to have such a fantastic resource for our little Jewels.

So, what can you do now - Relax & explore the site, all the functionality is there, albeit in a slightly different place, the Forums are little white bar lines on the top right, click on them and go for it.

What NOT to do: - Well loud complaining and multiple angry posts won't change anything, have a cup of coffee & relax, we're all going through the same growing pains right now....

I repeat: Autoguide owns the site, they pay the bills, so they call the shots - Thanks to them, we still have the BB as a resource

Ciao
Greig

Wearing Moderators hat & Nomex
This 'new' format is making me very uncomfortable. I don't have a clue how to navigate it & don't know if I'll bother to learn how...

Regards

·
Premium Member
15,437 Posts
"it simplifies their lives and reduces overhead"

I think that says it all. The heck with keeping a more usable and up front format for the user. I'm most likely out of here. At my age, I don't really care to spend the time to try to decipher this new mess just to suit some clueless techie coders. Nor do I really have the will. Life is short.

·
Administrator
973 Posts
Ok Folks, the BB Admin IT guys are here and will answer all your questions, so rather post them here --> https://www.alfabb.com/threads/we-are-live-community-feedback.689346/#post-8492405

I'm learning at the same time you are

Cheers
Greig
Thanks for posting this link

If you guys have any specific questions you need to be answered please post them in the thread below so everything is in one place and easier for our team to track feedback.

Jeff M

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Sorry to say but you have ruined a good Alfa Romeo site! Maybe the community has to move on and start something new, another place. Unless the this site reverses to original format.

·
Super Moderator
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
John your issue with not being able to edit your previous posts has been elevated up to the IT Forum Administrators twice, they are working on the problem, so far it seems it is only you who cannot edit your previous posts. It's a glitch somewhere and isn't aimed at you personally. We're aware of it and are the IT guys are working to fix it.

This change in the BB Forum wasn't aimed at you personally, it was driven by the old vBulletin underpinning of the original BB not being able to handle the recent rapid advancements in the Internet technology - the specifics are well beyond me, but it appears the old BB was built on very outdated technology - it was nearly 20 years old. Like any old stuff it was being patched behind the scenes with increasing frequency.

Your remarks about us moderators being lapdogs is both rude and uncalled for, we are 5 individuals who give of our time and effort free of charge to maintain the peace and sort out various issues. There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes. The IT stuff is handled by the BB Admin who work for Autoguide. If you'd made the same remarks on the old BB I'd have given you a 2 week all expenses paid vacation in Suspension Land no questions asked, however I understand your frustration, we, that is all 75000+ BB members , including your 5 overworked and unpaid moderators are on a learning curve. It was a 2 am stint for me yesterday trying to sort issues out. We, like you are also learning where the new functions are, raising issues with the IT support who are working through them as fast as they can. We didn't get an advanced peek at the format, it was rolled out to all of us at the same time.

Is it what you wanted to hear ?? Probably not, but this is the new-look BB, it's early days and there will still be changes going forward as all of us users make suggestions and some of these are implemented.

Lastly, you've been here a long time, about a year longer than me, our paths have crossed a few times and I was always impressed by your expertise. You are a well respected and very active contributor to the BB, you have helped countless Members and freely given of your time & expertise & we'd hate to loose a man of your caliber over an IT issue. Your past posts appear to all be safe and sound and with a little patience the IT crew will sort out the glitch and give you full access to your past posts.

I hope that you can consider this an apology from me on behalf of the BB IT department who have their hands rather full at the moment - however I'm on the case to get your particular problem sorted out and the 4 other Moderators are in full support. Should you wish to contact me privately, on the RHS top click on your Avatar and open conversations which are the old PM's. Be aware I'm 8+ hours ahead of US time

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
opps. can't yet figure out how to delete POST. I am finding new features that I like. Able to post more than 5 photos. able to post photos in Conversations which I think was Private messages.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Just clicked into the new format BB. I've been trying to get hold of Mr. Casper Mattress Topper with a tech question. Anyone know where I can find him?;)

·
Registered
161 Posts
I hate being resistant to change, but this new format is horrible and poorly designed ( for the users, at least). UGH!

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
If you'd made the same remarks on the old BB I'd have given you a 2 week all expenses paid vacation in Suspension Land no questions asked,

Ciao
Greig
Well, Greig, you might as well give me a LIFE suspension. I've given a hell of a lot more to this board than you have. If you want to make an "example" of me, be my guest.

Evidently, the programmers don't even know what they programmed. LOL. This from the FAQ section concerning edits:

You should be able to edit your post for up to 24 hours. Near the timestamp at the top of the post, you should see an edit link if it is within that time limit. After 24 hours you would need to reach out to a mod/admin for assistance.

The redesign could have been done using the same look, feel, and operable format, but it wasn't. That was intentional and excuses to the contrary are smoke.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I appreciate all the time that the admin crew put in to this magnificent resource, it really is a resource for all us Alfisti worldwide....But,
.posts/forums aren’t differentiated once I have read them (ie. ni highlighted text)
.previously forum heading had post topic on the main line so one could see what the last
topic updated was, all we can go by now is the ‘2 hours ago’ time posting to see what has been updated or not.
.not everyone wants to use the ‘new’ button and wade through the few forums they are interested in.

cheers.

·
Premium Member
26,739 Posts
Whoa, change can be difficult and I AM NOT AS FLUID as I used to be, but I am not totally rigid either. Couple things I see right off is I can not edit. add or delete my posts or update my maintenance sticky(s). Standing by to stand by for further developments.

·
Super Moderator
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Well, Greig, you might as well give me a LIFE suspension. I've given a hell of a lot more to this board than you have. If you want to make an "example" of me, be my guest.

Evidently, the programmers don't even know what they programmed. LOL. This from the FAQ section concerning edits:

You should be able to edit your post for up to 24 hours. Near the timestamp at the top of the post, you should see an edit link if it is within that time limit. After 24 hours you would need to reach out to a mod/admin for assistance.

The redesign could have been done using the same look, feel, and operable format, but it wasn't. That was intentional and excuses to the contrary are smoke.
John you are taking my remarks out of context, I've raised your concerns with the Forum owners and I'll report back to you, I'm not your enemy.

Greig

41 - 60 of 100 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.