Alfa Romeo Forums banner

The absolute and total resurrection of a basket case 1750 GTV

13K views 65 replies 22 participants last post by  glynne jones 
#1 ·
This has been sitting around, mostly outside, for thirty years. It's time to make a start. I will up date this page as work progresses. Rust Auto part
Vehicle Tree Scrap Car Earthquake

See less See more
#4 ·
One of my cars (not an Alfa) spent 12 months in the UK. It took me 2 years in Australia to rectify that damage in the UK environment. I don't know how people preserve old cars there. 'Tips my lid'.

#11 ·
Please pardon my dry humor I couldn't resist, the 1750 is a great car, my first Alfa was a 1750 MK2, I would study the post written by BigMart he has rebuilt a similar basket case to yours with extensive rust everywhere, when replacing do a section at a time, otherwise you run the risk of chassis distortion which may already be present.
Anyway best of luck with the project you picked a good model.
Tim

#14 ·
I had a proper look at the car and the first issue to address is the fact that it’s breaking in two. So what if doing first is to replace the middle and inner sills on both sides. Unfortunately, there is nothing to attach them to. What i am planning is replace the rear chassis members then the rear jacking points. This gives a rear attachment point. The left front is ok so i’m making a frame to hold it together while I replace the sills. The o/s A post has detached from the lower part of the car so i’ve pulled it back into place with a ratchet strap
Vehicle Auto part Scrap
Tree Plant

#16 ·
I’d better post a progress report as some may think that I have abandoned this job. Fear not, things are moving on. I made up front and rear chassis legs, both were pretty straight forward, fit well, sills are done and floor –pans. I haven’t tried to make the car look as if has never been touched, haven’t got the time of patience. I Made up the roll over jig brackets from some old steel that was about the place . the rear mounts on to the rear legs. It works.

#21 ·
Hi Glynne

That looks familiar! Please see my thread on my ongoing resto of a car is seemingly similar state.

#38 ·
Hi Glynne

That looks familiar! Please see my thread on my ongoing resto of a car is seemingly similar state.
Hi Mart, Just looked at your rebuild for the first time. Very similar to mine. They all go in the same places. The whole back-end of mine is replaced. I'm just at the shell sealing and painting stage now. I'll put some more photos up later. Good work.

#29 ·
Doors were a bit bad, I had to replace the top inner, take one hinge mounting out and make a new panel for it, forgot to photo this, I made up some new door bottoms. you have to be careful here that the bottom door line follows the sill line, there is a slight curve along its length.

Then new door skins on ( I bought these)..:p

#30 ·
The roof had a glass sunroof which had to go. I forgot to take photos again, but what I wanted to mention was that the roof had a double curvature so a flat panel didn't sit right. what I needed was an English wheel, as this is Wales, none exist here, I had to make one./ Never even seen one let alone used one but it did the
trick. Cost me about 20 quid. Further to the doors, I made up some new hinge bushes from brass rod 11mm o/d 8mm i/d
trick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.