Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Being based here in EU...I totally missed this point:

"A badge-engineering mentality quickly started to direct the development of new Alfa Romeo models; designs started to become compromised and watered down; the cheaper front-wheel-drive configuration replaced rear-wheel-drive; and soon the sporty, magical, and even sensual Alfa Romeo essence was gone. Sure, they continued to have a few design hits such as the Brera or the gorgeous 159, but underneath the beautiful skin there was little to differentiate the modern Alfas from other front-wheel-drive boxes with wheels. Gone was the magic of the Alfas from the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s that rewarded your senses, connected you with the road, and simply made you feel alive. With apologies to my European Alfisti friends, then, we really didn’t miss much here in the US when Fiat pulled Alfa Romeo out of our market in 1995."

In 1989 the SZ came out, I drove a 1995 33 1.5 boxer for years, and it has been the best and most fun car I ever owned. Then I clearly remember the time when the 156 was launched...at the time it was mind-blowing in terms of the design from Walter Da Silva and represented the Alfa DNA as they were very fast aswell. The diesels came with supermodern turbo's and ran like hell. The 156 came in 'baby blue' - and with a 2.5V6 and beige leather was a true postercar. I remember the first day that I drove a 156GTA...what a phenomenal car! Then I remember the first time I drove the GT...which at the time brought super sharp steering, it was really amazing to drive. The 147GTA is a beauty and very collectable already by now...people overhere are already searching for nice examples in the market. The one car that doesn't represent Alfa DNA is the Brera, because it was a superfat GM product 0:)

But...love to have and own a 4C! I think it is stunning.

My few cents...for what it is worth.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Here in the States, the last Alfa we saw was the GTV and Spider in the 70's. Yes it carried over into the 80's with little change. And there was the Alfetta / GTV 6 and the Milano. But my point is that for the last 30 years, we have not seen a new Alfa. We know of them, by name and picture only. Some of us have read reports in one magazine or another. Those articles and the author's biased view's became our only knowledge of the brand once loved now torn.

Alfa has been promising to return to us ever since. They finally made it, with a few setbacks and broken promises along the way. As proof, Brandon has a new Alfa Romeo 4C. Afshin Behnia has driven that car and lived to tell the tale. I bought a 4C in November and have been driving it every day until I crashed mine on the race track. It's a fantastic car. It's everything I was expecting and more.

But it's kind of like getting back together with an old girl friend. Sure she worked out, lost weight and bought a new super sexy outfit. But can I really trust her? She broke my heart once before. She's been with so many others since then. Is she my girl? or do I have to share her.... She didn't come home last night. Says she was visiting a sick uncle. Can I really trust her? I still hurt from the last heated break-up.

In all fairness to Alfa, they are fixing my damaged car much faster than I expected. All the parts are in and the car is back together and drivable. I'm waiting on my paint shop to paint the new body parts. Then Alfa will finish the car in a few days.

Is Alfa here to stay? Is Fiat here to stay? I think so. I hope so. My wife bought a Fiat 500 in 2011 and has had excellent service with our dealer. I bought an Abarth and 4C from the same dealer and I have nothing bad to say. I hope the marriage lasts this time, till death do us part.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Racer Z,

I witnessed your unfortunate incident at Willow Springs. I'm glad to hear Alfa is fixing it quickly.

As I mentioned in my write up, if the 4C is an indication of things to come, then I'm very much looking forward to the rest of the line up. It's a truly fantastic car and a phenomenal achievement from a technology perspective.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Being based here in EU...I totally missed this point:

"A badge-engineering mentality quickly started to direct the development of new Alfa Romeo models; designs started to become compromised and watered down; the cheaper front-wheel-drive configuration replaced rear-wheel-drive; and soon the sporty, magical, and even sensual Alfa Romeo essence was gone. Sure, they continued to have a few design hits such as the Brera or the gorgeous 159, but underneath the beautiful skin there was little to differentiate the modern Alfas from other front-wheel-drive boxes with wheels. Gone was the magic of the Alfas from the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s that rewarded your senses, connected you with the road, and simply made you feel alive. With apologies to my European Alfisti friends, then, we really didn’t miss much here in the US when Fiat pulled Alfa Romeo out of our market in 1995."

In 1989 the SZ came out, I drove a 1995 33 1.5 boxer for years, and it has been the best and most fun car I ever owned. Then I clearly remember the time when the 156 was launched...at the time it was mind-blowing in terms of the design from Walter Da Silva and represented the Alfa DNA as they were very fast aswell. The diesels came with supermodern turbo's and ran like hell. The 156 came in 'baby blue' - and with a 2.5V6 and beige leather was a true postercar. I remember the first day that I drove a 156GTA...what a phenomenal car! Then I remember the first time I drove the GT...which at the time brought super sharp steering, it was really amazing to drive. The 147GTA is a beauty and very collectable already by now...people overhere are already searching for nice examples in the market. The one car that doesn't represent Alfa DNA is the Brera, because it was a superfat GM product 0:)

But...love to have and own a 4C! I think it is stunning.

My few cents...for what it is worth.
I understand where this U.S. mentality that Alfa ended with the last RWD cars comes from, but I think it's so myopic. The 155 and 156 won so many awards they must be great cars to drive, they certainly look great. Even the heavy 159/Brera looks great at least. Anyway, I'd die for a 147 GTA over here. Maybe in seven years when they can be imported. In the meantime I really miss my 164Q. Wish I had kept it, special car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts