1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
1991 164L
27,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
You Mean that Someone Did Not Snatch It Up the First Time?

Such a rare vehicle, I thought for sure that it would be gone the first time around. The only reason I did not bid was because my garage is more than full:rolleyes:

·
Registered
570 Posts
The Sum of the Parts...

Uh...I just gotta say that this is a classic :rolleyes: case of the sum of the parts being worth more than the whole.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Did the factory make them like that? It is very unusual and a bit strange with the red bits and extra grilles. It is a bit like the yellow 166S that is for sale here in Australia at the moment which looks like it would be a case of developing an acquired taste because it is yellow all over with cream and black interior and white faced instruments. That is also a rare factory model apparently. It is not a manual though.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
It's evidently a "time-space warp" machine as well. The seller says it has "only" 62k miles on it, but the Autocheck shows 197k in 2002. From the looks of the engine compartment, it looks more like 597k miles. I wonder if the smell of cheap perfume in the back seat goes with the car.

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
17,071 Posts
That guy had some really good weed I think.

·
1991 164L
27,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The one option it has I am glad none of mine have is the cracked windshield. That is a real strong selling point oh I mean NON-selling point.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
It's evidently a "time-space warp" machine as well. The seller says it has "only" 62k miles on it, but the Autocheck shows 197k in 2002. From the looks of the engine compartment, it looks more like 597k miles. I wonder if the smell of cheap perfume in the back seat goes with the car.
Thats as bad as the 91 auto that just ended with "17k" original miles but the engine bay looks like 100k+ with no mileage reported on the history check. It bid up over $6k and the reserve was not met.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
That's not a crack in the windshield. That's the crossheirs on the canopy for the rockets that shoot out of the engine.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
I commented on this the last time it was on eBay. Not only is it in poor taste...down right disgusting, but the seller is obviously misrepresenting the car, least of which is the mileage. Why would anyone buy anything from this seller?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
The first time around it sold for $1350 or so. The fact that it is now back on eBay, tells me the buyer showed up to get it home... and discovered that it was not as advertised. And then walked away.

Too many claims that did not line up! I contacted the seller via eBay, to find out those questions, and never got a reply. That in itself, told me to forget it.

I had an interest, for just the "LS 24v motor, with 'S' cams, and 62K on the odo". Once I felt that none of that was true... it became just a beat up 164, with excessive bling! One that should be someone else's part car, not mine.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hmm, gives me an idea for my parts car. I can run down to Pep Boys, buy a bunch of tacky bling, a few rattle cans of paint, and I too can advertise it as a special edition.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
Don't forget to roll the speedometer back:)

·
1991 164L
27,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You guys, I swear these are some really good ideas.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Wow, I hope he doesn't sell this to anyone , will give ALPHA ROMERO a bad name.

Looks like the engine bay had a large fuel leak from the missing paint on the valve covers, maybe even a fire :( He left a fuel pressure pressure tester on too!

What awful taste PO has. Not even Alfa red.

Lazy photographer too, him or her, did not close hood, doors or trunk lock badge cover ):

·
Registered
503 Posts
Confirms I made the right decision when powder coating my under hood components and not just whipping out a can of red spray paint!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Did the factory make them like that? It is very unusual and a bit strange with the red bits and extra grilles. It is a bit like the yellow 166S that is for sale here in Australia at the moment which looks like it would be a case of developing an acquired taste because it is yellow all over with cream and black interior and white faced instruments. That is also a rare factory model apparently. It is not a manual though.
The non-standard bits stand out against what might have been a nice car... I wonder why I've never thought of tinting my headlights to make them dimmer... but that interior is what really does it for me. It seems to be having an identity crisis! On the one hand it wants to be a luxury saloon (beige leather), but it also wants to be a hot hatch (just look at that gearlever!) and the instruments are very Burger King 50's Americana (Hungry Jack's for the Australians)... stands as an excellent example of how not to respect late-80s European restraint... :rolleyes: thanks for the link!

-Alex

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
Folks,

This was someones pride and joy and it was kept alive this long.
Someone could always bid low ball and save this poor Lady.
This car is not likely to sell under the current marketing strategy.
It will not take much to rip out the bad and nurture the good....I will donate body parts to eliminate the red interior stuff.....
Fortunately it is not nearby as I have my own fair share of tragedies!

Ta,

Neville.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
If you listen real closely to the eBay add, you can hear her whispering "Please please someone buy me and save me from this idiot that owns me."

·
Registered
574 Posts
The sad(?) part is that he seems to have some idea of what he has, given the additional (by an order of magnitude), Pininfarina badges placed on the car. I'm half surprised he didn't keep going when he stopped by the Ferrari parts counter and get some Prancing Horse badges as well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts