Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek:Does anyone remember a Motreal from last May for sale? It was listed on 'craigslist' out of Santa Barbara,Ca. The blue one with the picture of the man wearing a hat (in close-up). It was a Mr. David Brainard. RING BELLS?
At that time it was determined to be a fraud ($11,000.00). HE'S BACK!!!!!!!
:eek::eek::eek::eek:. This time he states that it will be placed in 'Hemmings'
with a price of $7,500.00 [yessirrebob].
here is the question...I have his present email address and I wonder if I should make it 'public' on this board and have people flood him w/questions &
comments??????? Or should I not? What do the moderators think?
I will do nothing until I hear from one of them Is that alright? I think everyone on theBB knows how I would deal personally with frauds.
And we all know this was (is) one of the more brazen ones on record!!!:p
Just passing this along....Ed K.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Ed,
I think you are making too much out of this... If you know of an ad that is suspicious, just say so. Buyers can easily verify the legitimacy, by asking to inspect the car, etc. And yes, I will agree that the Montreal was not a legitimate sale, and if the same "seller" is offering it again, then it's another scam...

Best regards,

·
Registered
15 Posts
I hate to be naive...but is this truly a scam?
The guy emailed me his telephone number and I spoke with him about the car. He's in Santa Barbara, and claims the car is a driver, but needs interior and paintwork. "Perhaps a total restoration." I didn't really get into the details with him because he told me that he had a buyer for it, as of December 10.
He implied that it was an overseas buyer. I actually offered him a cash price over what he said he sold the car for, and he told me that he had to honor his deal that he'd already made. I offered to drive up there that night to close the deal but he declined. The whole thing seemed odd. Why would he have sold the car for a pittance even before the alleged Hemmings ad hit the newsstands? Why would he honor a deal with the first person that called when no money had changed hands and I was offering more?

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I hate to be naive...but is this truly a scam?
The guy emailed me his telephone number and I spoke with him about the car. He's in Santa Barbara, and claims the car is a driver, but needs interior and paintwork. "Perhaps a total restoration." I didn't really get into the details with him because he told me that he had a buyer for it, as of December 10.
He implied that it was an overseas buyer. I actually offered him a cash price over what he said he sold the car for, and he told me that he had to honor his deal that he'd already made. I offered to drive up there that night to close the deal but he declined. The whole thing seemed odd. Why would he have sold the car for a pittance even before the alleged Hemmings ad hit the newsstands? Why would he honor a deal with the first person that called when no money had changed hands and I was offering more?
Why would he even send you a phone number, when he already had a deal in the works, and is so honorable that he had no intention of considering any other (higher) offer?

Take a couple of days, and then re-read your post. If you still think this is legit, I'll sell you the real bridge everyone else claims they have. In fact, if you wire all the money at once, instead of in installments, I'll even pay for your plane ticket to the East Coast! Oh, and when you get that incredible opportunity to buy the Montreal because the other deal fell through, remember that it makes more sense to buy my bridge. :D:D:D

"Yours interestingly",

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ossa.....Where are you located? Perhaps a friendly chat over a beer or a glass of wine
(red of course) should be in order. It took me a while, but there is a method
and a 'signature' to ALL scams and frauds!!!.Many are inter-connected and
the level or degree of sophistication are quite detectable.Some make me
laugh; most make me cry. Not only is this (gentleman?) a fraud, his email
addresses are fakes and his 'personal data/references' are frauds. Now that
he has your email address; you are in for some fun :mad:over the next year. Call
your email provider and have him 'blocked' OR change your email address.PM for details....Ed K. [this is all a very OLD story]:eek::eek:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hmmm.
I'm not sure what to make of the responses to my posting. They seem more than a little patronizing and not particularly enlightening.

In point of fact, Mr. Brainerd must have had my email address for months, because I probably emailed him originally in March 2007. In so far as I can tell I've been subjected to no more spam than usual since then.

He only last week emailed me to tell me the car was back on the market. I spoke with him on the phone and made it clear that I was interested in the car and that I am a cash buyer. Obviously, I had no intention of wiring money for a car that I had never seen, and am somewhat sceptical even exists. I only live an hour from him, so it would be a simple matter to drive up to see the car.

He told me over the phone that he already had another interested party, but that if the deal fell through he would re contact me.

I'm not sure what the scam is here, unless he is really phishing for overseas or out of state buyers that are going to buy the car sight unseen, with only his word to go on. If such people do exist- which I have a hard time believing in 2007, then they're truly suckers and deserve what they get. He knew that I live locally, so if he was trying to find a sucker that would by the car without ever seeing it, I'm not sure why he would have contacted me.

Even in 2007, there are still deals to be found, so it's possible that this was one of them. Several months ago I found a european Maserati Merak for $6000, that wasn't in bad shape at all. Unfortunately, the seller had also entered into a verbal contract to sell it to someone else shortly after I looked at the car. I offered him $8000 but he wouldn't renege on his deal-even though no money had changed hands yet. The next owner immediately listed it on ebay and it sold for $9600- and probably was a deal at that price! I think it went to Austria.
Also, about 3 years ago, I missed out on a running Iso Rivolta in pretty good original shape for $9000 because I was an idiot and tried to haggle with the owner over a few minor rust issues. He just sold it to the next guy that came by!

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
ossa,

If you read anything other than humor in my post, I apologize. Certainly I didn't have any intention of being patronizing, but I did think that my very first statement and the advice to re-read your own post would enlighten you to you see some warning signs. Well, it didn't work, so let me again apologize for a poor approach and expand on what I see.

The communication that you have described regarding this car is troublesome, and it exhibits typical characteristics of a scam: 1) The car exists, it is every bit for real, but there is always an excuse why you cannot see it. 2) There is always some "overseas" involvement, which of course, is something that you cannot verify. 3) The price is always a really "good deal".

You find it hard to believe that people fall for scams in 2007, but actually they occur now more frequently, with online pictures, descriptions. e-mail and cell phones, making it so much easier to make a transaction feel legitimate. (Some scammers are bold and have names and phones, which do pop up fully disclosed on your caller id...)

The "seller" you are dealing with is not behaving like anyone who is serious about selling his car. Perhaps he is just an oddball, but he seems to be keeping in touch with you, and he has your name, e-mail and phone number. It won't be difficult for him to get your address, if he doesn't have it already. If you are in touch with someone for a long time, you get the feeling that "you know him", and therefore he is legit and trustworthy, even though you really know nothing more about him than you did when you first spoke. This is very different from the other two good deals you described. In both of those cases, the cars didn't last long on the market, and the owners did what serious sellers do: they sold their cars as soon as they could.

From reading your post I also think that you've been interested in this car for a while, and are trying to find reasons, if not to justify the sellers odd behavior, then at least to excuse it. I would venture to say that you are hoping that the overseas deal falls through, and if that is the case, you would be happy to be back "in the running". (It seems that the overseas involvement always works to make a potential buyer more interested, and that's why it continues to be used.) If it were me, at best, I would read a failed overseas deal as a sign that the seller is asking too much for his car, or that the car has other undisclosed issues. At worst, it would be the "icing on the cake" that tells me that this is a scam.

Last, I truly do not know if this is a legitimate seller with a legitimate car. Obviously, legitimate or otherwise, this seller has you wanting his car. Everyone reacts different to different situations. What you have described would not have me wanting his car, but I also do not know why someone else wouldn't see what to me are very obvious troublesome signs in this situation.

Best regards,

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ossa...I was in no way attempting to patronize you. If that is the impression I left; it was not intended. However, Did he give you a contact at the Santa Barbara Victoria Theatre? Did he use their 'homepage'? I've had MANY contacts with Mr. David Brainard.
HE DOES NOT EXIST---NEITHER DOES THAT MONTREAL HE IS PERPORTING TO SELL!!!!!
"........and you do not buy a 'Degas' from Toby Esterhase" (Smiley's People)...Ed K.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts